Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: All Things NYC  (Read 1333 times)

jimfoolery

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bo knows.
    • View Profile
All Things NYC
« on: April 12, 2007, 09:04:57 PM »
I know there is bookoo NYC info scattered around this site, but it seems worthwhile to dedicate a thread to helping simple folk like me understand life in NYC and decide whether they should move there.  Ill start with two questions:

1. Ill be bringing a dog with me if I go, but probably wont be able to make proximity to parks a huge consideration in my apartment hunt, since finding a good deal is already enough of a pain.  Are there enough parks scattered around the city (Im looking specifically in Brooklyn, but I guess this applies to all of NYC as well) that there is likely to be one within reasonable walking distance of where I live?  If not, my dog would certainly get depressed and Id feel guilty as hell.  I don't suppose they allow dogs on the subway, do they?  I guess Id be able to put a basket on my bike, put her in there and ride a few miles to a park, but riding on the street with NYC traffic seems terrifying enough without a 30 lb dog in tow.

2. Ive heard that having a car in Manhattan is basically impossible, but is on-street parking any more available in other boroughs (sp. Brooklyn)?  My car is only about a year and a half old, and Id hate to have to sell it.  Plus, I have a lot of family and friends scattered throughout the northeast, so I would use it frequently for weekend getaways even though Id rarely touch it during the week.  How available, costly, convenient and secure are the long-term parking lots?  Would hookers be turning tricks in my car like in that Seinfeld episode?

Thanks in advance for the great advice youre going to give me.  Please add your own questions, potential New Yorkers.
Werewolf bar mitzvah, spooky, scary,
Boys becoming men, men becoming wolves!

BeachBoy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: All Things NYC
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 09:38:46 PM »
1. Most apartments in NYC are anal about pets because they may pose a noise problem to surrounding tenants.  I have seen people bring pets into the subway but the subway and the subway platform itself is really dirty, don't do that to your pets.  There are a lot of parks that cater to pets in NYC (Union Square and Central Park) and in Brooklyn (Prospect Park and Brooklyn Heights). 

2. Parking in Manhattan is impossible.  In Brooklyn, unless the apartment you rent has a parking space (highly unlikely if you're renting), then you're going to have a nightmare looking for street parking.  The street parking has street cleaning every week and that requires you to be present to move your car.  With a new car, it is a big target for thieves in Brooklyn.  It's a headache all around.  If I were you, I would rent a garage in NY somewhere (it doesn't have to be close to where you live, as long as you can get to it by the subway), they go for about $200/month. There are many of these garages in Queens. These garages usually belong to landlords who own a house but don't have a car, so minus well rent it out and make some money. Park your car in that garage and have a piece of mind that it's in a safe place. Long-term parking lots with a reputable parking company will cost you about $600-$1000/month, it's insane.  Basically, when you're in NYC, not everything is so convenient and clear-cut so you have to be a little creative.

In your situation, unless you're dying for NYC, I would look at other schools in more suburban settings that are better able to cater towards your needs.  Good luck!

Hope that helps, let me know if you have anymore questions.

dcollins

• Tina come get your ham
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 09:48:14 PM »
I could be wrong but I think dogs are not allowed on the subway.  Parks, however, are everywhere.  Brooklyn is a pretty 'green' area with lots of parks.

Yeah, if you have a car and you want to live in NYC...good luck.  If you MUST have a car, expect it to get dinged...at best.  You'll be squeezed in anywhere you park - street or lot.  And the nicer the car, the nicer it will be for those who like to steal them.  You won't need a car anyway - public transportation is amazing and runs all the time, and will save you so much hassel and money.  

I'm moving to the bronx and will have a car.  I'm actually considering selling the car I have and buying a smaller one, just for more ease of fitting into spots.  Parking lots in riverdale are few and far between (average $150 + a month), but I cant seem to find a good apartment that also is near parking.  I dont know what the situation is in other boroughs.

Great idea btw to have an all things NYC thread - thanks!
"A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle."
"I have yet to hear a man ask for advice on how to combine marriage and a career."
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off."
- Gloria Steinem

BeachBoy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 09:53:57 PM »
I forgot to mention.  If you're willing to take the 30 min ferry ride from Staten Island to Manhattan, Staten Island may have what you're looking for.  Staten Island has more apartments with parking lot and parking is much easier.  The downside is the ferry but thousands of Staten Islanders do it everyday so it's doable.  But I am not sure how late the ferry runs into the night. The ferry does not run 24 hours so if you're studying late at school, you may have to find another way home (bus or taxi). 

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 10:29:21 PM »
1.  It will be tougher to find a place that allows a dog, but by no means impossible.  You just will not have nearly as much of a selection.

2.  A car in the city is fine if you just plan to use it for commuting in and out of the city.  In that case, you'd pay whatever it is a month for a garage near your apartment (maybe $300-$400/month? -- I could be completely off).  If you plan to use it for getting around the city, I pity you! haha

Good luck. 
USD 2010

jimfoolery

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bo knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 01:21:11 AM »
Hey, thanks for all the great info everybody.  Beachboy, you're probably right that a smaller city would be a better fit for me, but my best opportunity and best fit is a school in NYC, and I'd hate to sell myself short b/c I like my car.  I'm willing to sell it if necessary, I'd just be pissed off awhile afterwards.  Houston, where I live now, is basically a giant free parking lot, so it's just hard to wrap my head around the NYC parking travails. 

I'm really relieved to hear that there are so many parks in NYC.  After reading some of your suggestions, I found the NYC parks homepage (http://www.nycgovparks.org/index.php), which links to a comprehensive map of the city parks.  I noticed that, aside from the biggies like Prospect, the park system is made up of countless small 3-4 acre parks like (randomly) Gravesend and Paerdegat.  Are all these smaller parks as well maintained and policed as the biggies?  Or should I just not consider them possible dogwalking spots and commit to finding a place near a big park?
Werewolf bar mitzvah, spooky, scary,
Boys becoming men, men becoming wolves!

BeachBoy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 08:37:15 AM »
Hey, thanks for all the great info everybody.  Beachboy, you're probably right that a smaller city would be a better fit for me, but my best opportunity and best fit is a school in NYC, and I'd hate to sell myself short b/c I like my car.  I'm willing to sell it if necessary, I'd just be pissed off awhile afterwards.  Houston, where I live now, is basically a giant free parking lot, so it's just hard to wrap my head around the NYC parking travails. 

I'm really relieved to hear that there are so many parks in NYC.  After reading some of your suggestions, I found the NYC parks homepage (http://www.nycgovparks.org/index.php), which links to a comprehensive map of the city parks.  I noticed that, aside from the biggies like Prospect, the park system is made up of countless small 3-4 acre parks like (randomly) Gravesend and Paerdegat.  Are all these smaller parks as well maintained and policed as the biggies?  Or should I just not consider them possible dogwalking spots and commit to finding a place near a big park?

I don't own a pet but has a friend who does.  I've been to some doggie parks and the doggie parks seem to be in better condition than the "regular" parks! But I'm not surprised because there are a lot of pet lover lawyers and environmentalist lawyers in NYC so they make sure their pets and parks are well taken care of!

hhhheey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 10:24:05 AM »
I live in NYC right next to a park with a dog park in it. lots of people in my building have dogs.  I don't want to sound like a jerk but you do NOT want to live on Staten Island.

Patch102

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 10:34:01 AM »
What is the Clinton area like? Would it be an okay place to live?

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 10:52:53 AM »
I agree with most of what's been said. But I definitely VETO on the car. Beachboy had some good suggestions.

A lottttt of my friends live in Astoria and Brooklyn and commute to the city. They live in happening areas, fun nightlife, restaurants, bars, lots of other recent grads. It's not a bad commute, but it does take time, and time is precious as a law student.
Cornell Class of 2011 (deferring for a year!)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=30secondstolaw