Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What T14 schools use lotteries for on-campus recruiting?  (Read 2893 times)

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What T14 schools use lotteries for on-campus recruiting?
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 08:49:59 PM »
isn't it a bit silly that some schools "forbid" you to post your GPA (however calculated) on your resume despite the fact that firms can get your transcript?  i mean, if they wanted to, they could easily calculate it themselves and rank their candidates. what gives?

The idea is that everyone has the chance to interview, and firms can't have arbitrary GPA-based cutoffs (someone with a 3.25 might actually be a better fit for the firm than the next guy with a 3.30, but if that's the cutoff both firm and applicant miss out).  You'll provide the transcript at the interview, and have the chance to explain it.

But if the firms aren't selecting you anyway then this wouldn't be a problem.  From what I understand, Cornell assigns the interview slots randomly, so the firms would never even have the chance to do that.  Unless they're worried about the firms going through everything and not taking certain interviews seriously? ???

I think it might be that last bit.  Northwestern assigns its OCI randomly as well.  The dean gave us an anecdotal example of a student with a 3.2 getting a job at a firm with a stated cutoff of 3.7 or thereabouts, because he blew them away at the interview.  By not including the GPA, he walked into the interview with the same standing as someone else witha 3.8 might have.  It would ensure that they actually read his resume and any other materials submitted, which might just be ignored if they predisposed to ding him.

Yep, this is why I hate UVa's system, which I think is one of the only T14 schools that allows pre-screening (GULC does too). If you are a good interviewer, this system will screw you.
Penn Law '09

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 09:56:50 PM »
Can someone explain the whole lottery thing?

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 10:06:39 PM »
Can someone explain the whole lottery thing?

From what I understand, each firm recruiting at the school only has X slots, and there are Y students who want an interview.  Rather than rank the students by order of GPA, or letting the firm decide which of the students they will interview, the school simply assigns students randomly.  Everyone gets an equal shot at the firms at which they want to interview.

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 10:11:05 PM »
HLS = assign randomly (actually you rank you choices and the system takes it from there)
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 10:27:58 PM »
HLS = assign randomly (actually you rank you choices and the system takes it from there)

I'm fairly sure that this is how it works at Northwestern too.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 10:49:49 PM »

This is the typical lottery style. It's pretty much up to the system to assign slots once you rank your choices.

2elandbored

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 01:22:24 AM »
Yes, it is not random at all.  You rank your firm choices.  You will likely get your top 30 or so bids.  I have never heard of a school which assigns your interviews "randomly."  That doesn't make any sense.  Anyway, in a lottery system, you must be strategic, because you don't want to use all your top bids on firms you likely will not receive callbacks from.  Anyway, this is how Northwestern does it, as well as most of the top schools.  It is also how Georgetown does it. 

UVA is clearly different.   

Pre-screening is dumb, because it cuts off the bottom pile of students.  It frankly makes it harder for them to get jobs.  They get less interviews.

Caveman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 01:24:18 AM »
I think cooley might...
Paleolithic U 1L

baytostay

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 02:29:43 AM »
SLS has a lottery where students rank employers and employers don't get to see your grades until the interview, and are not told anyone's rank.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 04:36:05 AM »
Yes, it is not random at all.  You rank your firm choices.  You will likely get your top 30 or so bids.  I have never heard of a school which assigns your interviews "randomly."  That doesn't make any sense.  Anyway, in a lottery system, you must be strategic, because you don't want to use all your top bids on firms you likely will not receive callbacks from.  Anyway, this is how Northwestern does it, as well as most of the top schools.  It is also how Georgetown does it. 

UVA is clearly different.   

Pre-screening is dumb, because it cuts off the bottom pile of students.  It frankly makes it harder for them to get jobs.  They get less interviews.

Not that I think pre-screening is good, but after the word "because" in the bolded statement, not one good reason is given as to why it is "dumb".