Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Passing T14 for Lower-Tiered w/$$$$?  (Read 923 times)

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Passing T14 for Lower-Tiered w/$$$$?
« on: April 12, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
There are a 1001 threads on here of, "Crazy to pick University of Nowhere over Duke?" etc. haha.  And kidding aside, there are even less egregious ones like, "Should I pick Duke $$$ over Harvard?"

The answer to every one of these threads is: "YES, you are crazy to do so."

The purpose of a professional graduate school is to get a job after in that discipline, right?  I mean, as far as law is concerned...it is pretty linear in that people go to law school to get the best job they can as a lawyer.

When people ask these questions, I don't think they realize the POWER of a top school.  I am not even exaggerating: the ease with which the studnets I know from Columbia, NYU, etc. have at getting jobs is almost disturbing (and very heartbreaking haha to a T2 guy like myself):  For the top, TOP firms in NYC (and thus, America) interview questions essentially consist of asking what kind of beer you like, what major sports you follow, etc. haha.  Basically, it isn't even an interview so much as it is simply a meet and greet  I mean, no joke...the thing is, these schools are so prestigious that by getting the interview, you pretty much have the job.

The anecdotal statistics on those interviewed at an NYU or Columbia vs. lower tiered schools and the ratio of interviews:offers is staggering.  I mean, pretty much at these school if you get the interview, you will most likely get an offer. 

Go to the best school that you can: you can pay off whatever $$$ very quickly with a high salary.  Honestly, I think the ease of getting a job and the benefits of a prestigious school, from a professional/career standpoint, are actually not exaggerated enough on here.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Passing T14 for Lower-Tiered w/$$$$?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 06:03:29 PM »
For the top, TOP firms in NYC (and thus, America) interview questions essentially consist of asking what kind of beer you like, what major sports you follow, etc. haha.  Basically, it isn't even an interview so much as it is simply a meet and greet  I mean, no joke...the thing is, these schools are so prestigious that by getting the interview, you pretty much have the job.

The anecdotal statistics on those interviewed at an NYU or Columbia vs. lower tiered schools and the ratio of interviews:offers is staggering.  I mean, pretty much at these school if you get the interview, you will most likely get an offer. 

This part is really not true. The interviews are definitely serious and getting an interview is not a guarantee of a job. Actually, getting an interview is easy, its getting the job once you have the interview thats tougher. I mean its not like they do those crazy I-Banking mindgame interviews, but it is a real job interview.

ChiSox07

• View Profile
    • LSN Site
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 06:26:25 PM »
There are a 1001 threads on here of, "Crazy to pick University of Nowhere over Duke?" etc. haha.  And kidding aside, there are even less egregious ones like, "Should I pick Duke $$$ over Harvard?"

The purpose of a professional graduate school is to get a job after in that discipline, right?  I mean, as far as law is concerned...it is pretty linear in that people go to law school to get the best job they can as a lawyer.

When people ask these questions, I don't think they realize the POWER of a top school.  I am not even exaggerating: the ease with which the studnets I know from Columbia, NYU, etc. have at getting jobs is almost disturbing (and very heartbreaking haha to a T2 guy like myself):  For the top, TOP firms in NYC (and thus, America) interview questions essentially consist of asking what kind of beer you like, what major sports you follow, etc. haha.  Basically, it isn't even an interview so much as it is simply a meet and greet  I mean, no joke...the thing is, these schools are so prestigious that by getting the interview, you pretty much have the job.

Go to the best school that you can: you can pay off whatever $$$ very quickly with a high salary.  Honestly, I think the ease of getting a job and the benefits of a prestigious school, from a professional/career standpoint, are actually not exaggerated enough on here.

Generally if there is a big difference in reputation between the two schools you are considering, take less money for the better school.  But if the difference isn't that large, say between 20-35, if you're offered a full ride or a big chunk of cash at the 35th ranked school, it'd be foolish not to consider it.
Boston College 2010!

Staying on WL at UIUC and ND

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=DaveFox05

Pkorkis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 06:26:42 PM »

Go to the best school that you can: you can pay off whatever $$$ very quickly with a high salary.  Honestly, I think the ease of getting a job and the benefits of a prestigious school, from a professional/career standpoint, are actually not exaggerated enough on here.

I don't think this applies once you exit the top the 20-25...like I'm deciding between American (#47) vs. Loyola LA (#66)...but I want to study in LA and I don't believe an American degree will travel to LA, making Loyola the better choice...am I right?

as far as choosing Loyola over a T14...I believe that is more applicable to your statement
Going to (as of right now): Loyola LA

162, 3.37

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Pkorkis

nonunique

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 06:35:05 PM »
In your circumstances, go to Loyola, no contest.
Attending: NU($)!!!
In: UVa($), GW, WUSL, WF, GM, Cardozo, DePaul($$)
WL: Columbia, Duke, Penn, UCLA, W&M
Out: Harvard, Stanford, Boalt, NYU, GULC, Chicago, Texas, Michigan, UWash, Cornell, UNC

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=non

Pkorkis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 06:37:14 PM »
What about Loyola vs. Pepperdine?  No money from either

Sorry to hijack thread!
Going to (as of right now): Loyola LA

162, 3.37

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Pkorkis

nonunique

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 06:44:25 PM »
Harder to say...look at placement in fields you want to work in....
Attending: NU($)!!!
In: UVa($), GW, WUSL, WF, GM, Cardozo, DePaul($$)
WL: Columbia, Duke, Penn, UCLA, W&M
Out: Harvard, Stanford, Boalt, NYU, GULC, Chicago, Texas, Michigan, UWash, Cornell, UNC

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=non

Lawbster

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 07:01:14 PM »

agreed!
What about Loyola vs. Pepperdine?  No money from either

Sorry to hijack thread!

ummm, this one is tougher...

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 07:16:26 PM »
I would assume that this logic does not apply when choosing one T2 over another. I'm choosing McGeorge over Loyola (if I get off the waitlist), USD (if accepted), and Lewis and Clark (if accepted). I'm sure a USD degree will serve one better than a California Western degree in San Diego but the same cannot be said for having a USD or Loyola degree in Sacramento. I'm sure that I will have just as much opportunity in Sacramento as I would at those other T2 schools in their respective cities. It would be foolish to pass up the top schools for money at a lesser one but other than that, it's not going to be career suicide to choose a school ranked somewhat lower. Just make sure it's not a T2 versus a T4 choice. I wouldn't choose any school that is not in the top 100 unless there was no other option. Luckily McGeorge has been tier 2 for a while and will likely go up in the rankings since I am bring a 161 to the table.
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

ndpearman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 10:11:17 PM »
It's difficult in certain circumstances. In my instance, I'm weighing Texas (18) with a small amount of merit aid vs. a full-tuition scholarship at Wake Forest (36). I'm looking at an extra $100K in debt to go to Texas...I'm considering it, however, because of what I want to do with my J.D. (Federal appellate clerkship, DC/Atlanta/maybe even Texas BigLaw- that portability of a UT degree is nice!) plus the resources of UT (Con Law faculty, Supreme Court Clinic) are unreal.

But if I wanted for sure to practice in NC, take the $$$ and run, irrespective of prestige. It pays to weigh prestige, within reason...however, to totally ignore cost is just not strategic.