Law School Discussion

Does this happen to anybody on the LR section?

Does this happen to anybody on the LR section?
« on: April 12, 2007, 12:28:52 PM »
Ive been takin old tests to practice for the june lsat and notice that I always have this problem in the LR: Im streaky for some reason.  Like Ill get the first 12 or sumthin right on a section.  But then Ill get sumthin like 6 outta the next 8 wrong.  Or, Ill start off with like 3 outta 5 wrong then get like 8 in a row right, but then again get like the last 4 wrong. Why does this happen? Is it cuz the LR section is grouped by difficulty? What can I do to get around this?

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
Re: Does this happen to anybody on the LR section?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 06:44:43 PM »
The middle of the section tends to be the most difficult.

Yeah, that seems to be a problem for a lot of people. If time is not an issue for you, you could try starting in the middle and hit those when you are fresh and then do the easier ones last. It may or may not work, but it is worth a try.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 07:19:06 PM »
Ok.  Restate:  When I was taking practice tests, I usually found the middle of the section to be the most difficult.

Me too (around #14), and the graph does start to slope back down at the very end it you want to get technical. ;) I have noticed they seem to like to throw in the really long ones at the end..... or that could just be me wanting the section to be over instead of dragging out.

qmmm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 07:28:15 PM »
The breakdown is that the first 10 questions tend to be the easiest.  The last 5 tend to be of medium difficulty.  Questions 10-20 or so tend to be the hardest. 

One theory is that questions 10-20 are hardest to help differentiate test-takers.  By making the middle the hardest series of questions fewer people get to the last couple with time to answer them thoughtfully so that there can be better differentiation amongst test takers. 

Some suggest to not take the questions in order.  By doing the first 10 followed by the last 5 or so-- although you really should do entire pages in the test book so that you don't accidentally forget a question --, you can maximize your effort on the easiest questions.  I, personally, rarely had issues getting through the section, so I didn't really find this suggestion all that helpful.  If you are having trouble getting through the section in time, it will probably help you more.

Noooo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 09:47:50 PM »

Yeah, that seems to be a problem for a lot of people. If time is not an issue for you, you could try starting in the middle and hit those when you are fresh and then do the easier ones last. It may or may not work, but it is worth a try.

I have experimented with something like this, basically starting doing #20-25 first, then doing #1-19.  If you tend to waste time on easy questions trying to prove they are correct, it might be better to leave those easy questions to the end when you simply don't have that time to second guess.  That said, thus far I have not been impressed with the results of my experiment, and may just train myself to move quickly, especially on questions 1-10, i.e. 1 minute or less for each. 

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 11:25:38 PM »
after q 10, people start to lose their endurance and energy.

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 11:31:15 PM »
yeah
that's why i usually start from q10

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 05:27:43 AM »
Ive been takin old tests to practice for the june lsat and notice that I always have this problem in the LR: Im streaky for some reason. Like Ill get the first 12 or sumthin right on a section. But then Ill get sumthin like 6 outta the next 8 wrong. Or, Ill start off with like 3 outta 5 wrong then get like 8 in a row right, but then again get like the last 4 wrong. Why does this happen? Is it cuz the LR section is grouped by difficulty? What can I do to get around this?

they generally get harder as you go.  and, as you start hit harder ones, you start rush, which decrease accuracy.

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 05:28:36 AM »

wrong, wrong, wrong.

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 05:32:56 AM »
The breakdown is that the first 10 questions tend to be the easiest. The last 5 tend to be of medium difficulty. Questions 10-20 or so tend to be the hardest.

One theory is that questions 10-20 are hardest to help differentiate test-takers. By making the middle the hardest series of questions fewer people get to the last couple with time to answer them thoughtfully so that there can be better differentiation amongst test takers.

Some suggest to not take the questions in order. By doing the first 10 followed by the last 5 or so-- although you really should do entire pages in the test book so that you don't accidentally forget a question --, you can maximize your effort on the easiest questions. I, personally, rarely had issues getting through the section, so I didn't really find this suggestion all that helpful. If you are having trouble getting through the section in time, it will probably help you more.

your theory incorrect.  simply look at data.