Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Myth: Rutgers-N and Seton Hall = "Ghetto"  (Read 3163 times)

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Myth: Rutgers-N and Seton Hall = "Ghetto"
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 02:57:28 PM »
I visited Seton Hall. It was #1 on my list.

Newark is a dump. Forget this "area" talk - sure the sidewalk is a little cleaner around Seton Hall, but I don't know about you guys, but I plan on going further than 500ft. away from the building if I go to Seton Hall.

Of COURSE it's a dump.  but this is EXACTLY what I was saying in my original post: dump DOES NOT equal ghetto.

My old Western PA hometown was a dump.  But it was safe as hall.  A ghetto is always a dump, but a dump isn't necessarily a ghetto.

C'mon now sufficient necessary.

Okay. Well I agree it's not "the ghetto". It's just a dump.

Haha sure...and nice caveman pic by the way I love those commercials; I used to some work for Geico.

Did you see the one where they're on the balcony at the party and it's all Miami Vice, 80s pastel colored suits theme?    that one is priceless.

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 02:59:56 PM »
Okkkk so let's back track:

you people do understand that ALL of hte major American cities have homeless people who come up to you consistently and ask for change?  I mean, you get this right?

We'll take Philly, Chicago, and New York (we agree these are MAJOR cities with top schools correct)?

EVERYONE of these cities has homeless people who approach you.  What do you think happens then?  They say, "please sir, spare some" and you just keep walking, ignoring them.  Haha you think they pull a gun on you?  You think they chase you and bite you?

Give me a break.

I live in the nicest part of Manhattan, considered one of the premiere areas in Manhattan for residence.  On 86th, there is a Church where homeless people sleep outside during night.  When I walk past htem at night....ummm...what happens?  oh wait, nothing happens.

For real, you people need to get out somewhere and see America.

Why are you being condescending? This is a pretty legit concern, in my book. Everyone has different priorities, and one of mine is safety. I'm admittedly sheltered and don't know if I could handle that much of an environment change.

Well now you're talking about two different things now, aren't you?  If it's a drastic environment change that's the issue, then of course I understand...but that has nothing to do specifically with Newark; you go to ANY major city it's going to be a drastic environment change.

I'm sorry to be mean...I just found it amusing and very funny that your evidence of Newark being ghetto was, "I was approached by a homeless person."

I mean, that's like saying, "yeah his new house was gorgeous...it had running water!"  Sure, if you're dead broke and in poverty, that would be pretty impressive, but generally speaking, a house with working, running water is the standard.

That's all I was saying with your comment about Newark...you gotta give me more; if being "approached" by a homeless person warrants concern, you might want to stay away from American cities, or ANY city for that matter forever.

If I could avoid cities like the plague, I would, but I'm pretty set on going to law school in-state. If my choice is Camden or Newark, I'll take Newark.
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 03:00:58 PM »
I visited Seton Hall. It was #1 on my list.

Newark is a dump. Forget this "area" talk - sure the sidewalk is a little cleaner around Seton Hall, but I don't know about you guys, but I plan on going further than 500ft. away from the building if I go to Seton Hall.

Of COURSE it's a dump.  but this is EXACTLY what I was saying in my original post: dump DOES NOT equal ghetto.

My old Western PA hometown was a dump.  But it was safe as hall.  A ghetto is always a dump, but a dump isn't necessarily a ghetto.

C'mon now sufficient necessary.

Okay. Well I agree it's not "the ghetto". It's just a dump.

Haha sure...and nice caveman pic by the way I love those commercials; I used to some work for Geico.

Did you see the one where they're on the balcony at the party and it's all Miami Vice, 80s pastel colored suits theme?    that one is priceless.

The third caveman is like "Jessica and I are getting back together!" and the other one is like "GIVE US A MINUTE!"

Hilarious stuff.
In: Suffolk, Seton Hall($$)
Pending: BC, Brooklyn, Cardozo, George Mason, Ohio State, Temple
Out: Nowhere yet.
2.8/163

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 03:01:15 PM »
OVERALL: (371 cities)
SAFEST 25:
 MOST DANGEROUS 25:

1 St. Louis, MO

2 Detroit, MI

3 Flint, MI

4 Compton, CA

5 Camden, NJ

6 Birmingham, AL

7 Cleveland, OH

8 Oakland, CA

9 Youngstown, OH

10 Gary, IN

11 Richmond, CA

12 Baltimore, MD

13 Memphis, TN

14 Trenton, NJ

15 Richmond, VA

16 Kansas City, MO

17 Atlanta, GA

18 Cincinnati, OH

19 Washington, DC

20 North Charleston, SC

21 Reading, PA

22 Newark, NJ

23 Little Rock, AR

24 San Bernardino, CA

25 Orlando, FL
Albany Law School Class of 2010

AHOYHOY

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 03:02:03 PM »
I wouldn't wish living in Newark on my worst enemy. It smells, it's dirty, and it's not particularly safe (and downright dangerous in certain areas). Although it has undergone a "renaissance."

That said, I've walked around the streets of Newark past midnight several times and cannot say I was ever afraid or anything. Uneasy... maybe.

Like any city, you need to have some common sense and you'll be fine.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 03:02:48 PM »
So in other words, as long as you don't leave the abandonded/evacuated section of Newark and accidentally go to the worng area, then the neighborhood is "...simply quiet and run-down...there is simply no one there...it's just empty, that's all,". The environment surrounding the school is predominantly "...some older, closed pizzerias, some crappy apts., some parking lots". That clears things up alot... and makes ti sound so much more appealing than thos slanderous comments about it being a ghetto...
 ;)
Rob

C'mon man...give me a break.  Have you EVER walked around any freaking city at night?  Seriously?  You ever even walk in mid-town Manhattan at night on a weekday??  Things CLOSE and there are some bums, etc. here and there.  But there is NOBODY AROUND to bother you.  And ANY other place in America, things are dead come nightfall. 

Man where are you from, Kansas or some crap?    Haha as long as you don't "accidentally" go into the wrong area???  what are you talking about?  I'm saying if you got 20+ min. OUT OF YOUR WAY from Rutgers, you will be in the ghetto.  But you're an idiot, so why am I bothering.

Dude, I was just joking with you. I've lived in Queens for the beter part of 10+ years now (mostly Bellerose area). I just thought it was funny that the best defense you could come up with for the area was that "it's mostly crappy apartments and closed businesses". Not exactly a ringing endorsement. You're not looking to be a defense attorney, are you?
 ;)
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

ieatpoo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 03:03:37 PM »
I'm at 2L at Seton Hall and I've been living in Newark for about a year now.  I've never felt unsafe and I haven't had any problems even when walking around at night.

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 03:06:33 PM »
So in other words, as long as you don't leave the abandonded/evacuated section of Newark and accidentally go to the worng area, then the neighborhood is "...simply quiet and run-down...there is simply no one there...it's just empty, that's all,". The environment surrounding the school is predominantly "...some older, closed pizzerias, some crappy apts., some parking lots". That clears things up alot... and makes ti sound so much more appealing than thos slanderous comments about it being a ghetto...
 ;)
Rob

C'mon man...give me a break.  Have you EVER walked around any freaking city at night?  Seriously?  You ever even walk in mid-town Manhattan at night on a weekday??  Things CLOSE and there are some bums, etc. here and there.  But there is NOBODY AROUND to bother you.  And ANY other place in America, things are dead come nightfall. 

Man where are you from, Kansas or some crap?    Haha as long as you don't "accidentally" go into the wrong area???  what are you talking about?  I'm saying if you got 20+ min. OUT OF YOUR WAY from Rutgers, you will be in the ghetto.  But you're an idiot, so why am I bothering.

Dude, I was just joking with you. I've lived in Queens for the beter part of 10+ years now (mostly Bellerose area). I just thought it was funny that the best defense you could come up with for the area was that "it's mostly crappy apartments and closed businesses". Not exactly a ringing endorsement. You're not looking to be a defense attorney, are you?
 ;)
Rob

Haha my apologies; as I'm sure we've all learned, "Sarcasm" is VERY difficult to convey online vs. person-to-person haha.  But you get what I'm saying then...someone with no city experience would pee themselves in many parts of Queens at night, just due to the fact that it is big and quiet.  Same thing with Newark...just trying to dispel the notion of it being "ghetto" because really, downtown is fine; even I expected it to be worse that what it is.

And no, no defense attorney haha; I envision myself being the overpaid, paper-pushing type  ;)

thewanderer01

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2007, 03:06:57 PM »
I should say upfront that I'm both a big city guy, and also from Seattle. I've travelled to LA, NYC, Chicago, Houston, Dallas....basically most of the 30 biggest cities in the US and I didn't feel any less safe in Newark than I had anywhere else. If you're in the wrong spot in ANY of those cities it isn't safe. While safety isn't a concern for myself, it is a top priority for me when considering a school because I will be bringing my fiance with me. She'll be working in a school, and probably working late as a first year teacher. Neither of us left Newark with a bad impression. Boring, yes, dirty, yes....but no more unsafe than anywhere else we've been. I'll be attending RU.
Rutgers - Newark Class of 2010

AHOYHOY

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2007, 03:07:07 PM »
I'm at 2L at Seton Hall and I've been living in Newark for about a year now.  I've never felt unsafe and I haven't had any problems even when walking around at night.

yeah, but you eat poo, so who the fvck is going to approach you? I certainly wouldn't.