Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Myth: Rutgers-N and Seton Hall = "Ghetto"  (Read 3353 times)

Mpmav1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Myth: Rutgers-N and Seton Hall = "Ghetto"
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »
Newark is a ghost town after 5, when all the commuters leave. I visited the school with my father, and 1 minute after leaving the parking deck, we were approached by a homeless woman. Additionally, it's the car theft capital of the country. For me personally, this is unsettling.
You didn't happen to visit with your father this last Monday?  If so, that was me in the tour group with you.  

Regarding car theft...

The 10 worst auto theft capitals of America, according to the NICB, are:
1. Phoenix, Ariz.
2. Fresno, Calif.
3. Modesto, Calif.
4. Stockton-Lodi, Calif.
5. Las Vegas, Nev.
6. Miami, Fla.
7. Sacramento, Calif.
8. Oakland, Calif.
9. Seattle, Wash.
10. Tacoma, Wash.

I'm from Seattle (#9) and so long as you’re not stupid you don't have too much to worry about.  

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 02:48:11 PM »
Newark is a ghost town after 5, when all the commuters leave. I visited Rutgers with my father, and 1 minute after leaving the parking deck, we were approached by a homeless woman. Additionally, it's the car theft capital of the country. For me personally, this is unsettling.

GASPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

A HOMELESS PERSON APPROACHED YOU

she actually APPROACHED you?  You actually mean she walked towards your direction asking for change? 

oh

my

god.   

Wow...you people need to get out of middle-America. 

Um...I live 45 minutes from Newark. I just don't happen to be used to that, and I thought it was unsettling. As a 22 year-old woman, I would not feel comfortable there at night...that's all I'm saying. I'm not ignorant, but I am cautious.
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 02:48:59 PM »
I visited Seton Hall. It was #1 on my list.

Newark is a dump. Forget this "area" talk - sure the sidewalk is a little cleaner around Seton Hall, but I don't know about you guys, but I plan on going further than 500ft. away from the building if I go to Seton Hall.

In: Suffolk, Seton Hall($$)
Pending: BC, Brooklyn, Cardozo, George Mason, Ohio State, Temple
Out: Nowhere yet.
2.8/163

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 02:49:57 PM »
Okkkk so let's back track:

you people do understand that ALL of hte major American cities have homeless people who come up to you consistently and ask for change?  I mean, you get this right?

We'll take Philly, Chicago, and New York (we agree these are MAJOR cities with top schools correct)?

EVERYONE of these cities has homeless people who approach you.  What do you think happens then?  They say, "please sir, spare some" and you just keep walking, ignoring them.  Haha you think they pull a gun on you?  You think they chase you and bite you?

Give me a break.

I live in the nicest part of Manhattan, considered one of the premiere areas in Manhattan for residence.  On 86th, there is a Church where homeless people sleep outside during night.  When I walk past htem at night....ummm...what happens?  oh wait, nothing happens.

For real, you people need to get out somewhere and see America.

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 02:50:44 PM »
Newark is a ghost town after 5, when all the commuters leave. I visited Rutgers with my father, and 1 minute after leaving the parking deck, we were approached by a homeless woman. Additionally, it's the car theft capital of the country. For me personally, this is unsettling.

GASPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

she actually APPROACHED you?  You actually mean she walked towards your direction asking for change? 

oh

my

god.   

Um...I live 45 minutes from Newark. I just don't happen to be used to that, and I thought it was unsettling. As a 22 year-old woman, I would not feel comfortable there at night...that's all I'm saying. I'm not ignorant, but I am cautious.

23 year old male here, strapping young lad well versed in martial arts (I quite when I was 12 but I still remember a lot).

If you go to SH, look me up, I'll be your squire.  ;D

...unless you actually look like Meg from the Family Guy.
2.8/163

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 02:52:17 PM »

you people do understand that ALL of hte major American cities have homeless people who come up to you consistently and ask for change?  I mean, you get this right?

We'll take Philly, Chicago, and New York (we agree these are MAJOR cities with top schools correct)?

EVERYONE of these cities has homeless people who approach you.  What do you think happens then?  They say, "please sir, spare some" and you just keep walking, ignoring them.  Haha you think they pull a gun on you?  You think they chase you and bite you?

Give me a break.

I live in the nicest part of Manhattan, considered one of the premiere areas in Manhattan for residence.  On 86th, there is a Church where homeless people sleep outside during night.  When I walk past htem at night....ummm...what happens?  oh wait, nothing happens.

Why are you being condescending? This is a pretty legit concern, in my book. Everyone has different priorities, and one of mine is safety. I'm admittedly sheltered and don't know if I could handle that much of an environment change.

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 02:52:35 PM »

Newark is a dump. Forget this "area" talk - sure the sidewalk is a little cleaner around Seton Hall, but I don't know about you guys, but I plan on going further than 500ft. away from the building if I go to Seton Hall.

Of COURSE it's a dump.  but this is EXACTLY what I was saying in my original post: dump DOES NOT equal ghetto.

My old Western PA hometown was a dump.  But it was safe as hall.  A ghetto is always a dump, but a dump isn't necessarily a ghetto.

C'mon now sufficient necessary.

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 02:54:05 PM »

Of COURSE it's a dump.  but this is EXACTLY what I was saying in my original post: dump DOES NOT equal ghetto.

My old Western PA hometown was a dump.  But it was safe as hall.  A ghetto is always a dump, but a dump isn't necessarily a ghetto.

C'mon now sufficient necessary.

Okay. Well I agree it's not "the ghetto". It's just a dump.
2.8/163

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 02:55:54 PM »

you people do understand that ALL of hte major American cities have homeless people who come up to you consistently and ask for change?  I mean, you get this right?

EVERYONE of these cities has homeless people who approach you.  What do you think happens then?  They say, "please sir, spare some" and you just keep walking, ignoring them.  Haha you think they pull a gun on you?  You think they chase you and bite you?

Give me a break.

I live in the nicest part of Manhattan, considered one of the premiere areas in Manhattan for residence.  On 86th, there is a Church where homeless people sleep outside during night.  When I walk past htem at night....ummm...what happens?  oh wait, nothing happens.

Why are you being condescending? This is a pretty legit concern, in my book. Everyone has different priorities, and one of mine is safety. I'm admittedly sheltered and don't know if I could handle that much of an environment change.

Well now you're talking about two different things now, aren't you?  If it's a drastic environment change that's the issue, then of course I understand...but that has nothing to do specifically with Newark; you go to ANY major city it's going to be a drastic environment change.

I'm sorry to be mean...I just found it amusing and very funny that your evidence of Newark being ghetto was, "I was approached by a homeless person."

I mean, that's like saying, "yeah his new house was gorgeous...it had running water!"  Sure, if you're dead broke and in poverty, that would be pretty impressive, but generally speaking, a house with working, running water is the standard.

That's all I was saying with your comment about Newark...you gotta give me more; if being "approached" by a homeless person warrants concern, you might want to stay away from American cities, or ANY city for that matter forever.

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 02:56:29 PM »

GASPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

oh

my

god.   

23 year old male here, strapping young lad well versed in martial arts (I quite when I was 12 but I still remember a lot).

If you go to SH, look me up, I'll be your squire.  ;D

...unless you actually look like Meg from the Family Guy.

:D