Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Myth: Rutgers-N and Seton Hall = "Ghetto"  (Read 3341 times)

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Myth: Rutgers-N and Seton Hall = "Ghetto"
« on: April 12, 2007, 02:22:46 PM »
Hey all...I just wanted to post this regarding Rutgers-Newark and Seton Hall; I know the info. on these schools is sparse on LSD.org compared to that of the better top tier schools, so I figured to give some helpful info. specifically on the location of these schools (especially pointed towards those who live far and may be unable to visit but still interested in these schools). 

I have found a lot of the reviews/feedback on these schools is "ghetto, horrible," blah blah but it is COMPLETELY WRONG.

I went to visit both schools last week and ANYONE who calls this area Ghetto has probably never visited any major city (or at least spent any significant amount of time in or near one) or is simply scared of ANY black person haha.  I live in NYC and take NJ transit from Penn Station to Newark Penn Station.  The commute is great (the train ride is only 15-17 min. exactly from NYC-Newark).  Seton Hall is literally about 800 ft. away from Penn Station; you stumble out the doors of the train station and you are at Seton Hall.  The area around Seton Hall is simply just roadway (the main st. being Raymond Blvd.).  There isn't much in the immediate area of Seton Hall though in terms of restuaratns, etc.  You continue on about 12 min. or so and you are at Rutgers-N.  The area immediately by Rutgers-Newark is fine; I can understand if you have not been in an urban area ever calling it "ghetto," but really, this is completely incorrect.  The area around Rutgers-Newark is just simply quiet and run-down; there are some older, closed pizzerias, some crappy apts., some parking lots.  BUT there is simply no one there...it's just empty, that's all. 

Half-way between Seton Hall and Rutgers-N is the main intersection (Raymond and Broad, I believe).  Here, you will find your Starbucks, Duane Reade drugs stores, etc.  This area is the "heart" of the Newark area, with many office buildings, stores, etc.  Again, in the daytime it is extremely crowded and just like any commercial/corporate center of any major US city.  At night, it simply empties out.  Of course, there are a random bum here or there scraggling around, but NOTHING else.

In the stretch of Penn Station-->Seton Hall-->Rutgers, there is NOTHING to worry about.  Honestly, the only reason I can infer as to why someone would call the area "horrible" and such is because he or she is just, generally, uncomfortable in the presence of young minorities...granted, I myself being a minority may influence my view, but downtown Newark has a lot of hispanic and black teenagers and 20 somethings out...haha and they're not dealing drugs, they're not mugging people, they're doing anything.  If you're uncomfortable with minority kids standing around in urban clothes, then avoid Newark haha, but really, I wnated to dispel this notion of this area being the "ghetto."

Only when you continue further into Newark will you have to worry.  I think most people just equate "Newark=ghetto" as applyign to the whole city.  Yes, if you go another 20+ min. PAST Rutgers, you WILL get messed up...I mean, bullet proof glass on the Mcdonalds, people shooting heroin in the middle of the st., of course.  But there is no way in hell you will ever go to these areas being (unless you need a crack fix).  I mean, you will spend all of your time at the law school and the immediate downtown area, and most people either commute from NYC, Hoboken, or Jersey City if not doing on-campus housing.

Good luck to all and hope this is a little more informative for those far away curious about what the surrounding area of theses schools are like.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Myth: Rutgers-N and Seton Hall = "Ghetto"
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 02:30:04 PM »
So in other words, as long as you don't leave the abandonded/evacuated section of Newark and accidentally go to the worng area, then the neighborhood is "...simply quiet and run-down...there is simply no one there...it's just empty, that's all,". The environment surrounding the school is predominantly "...some older, closed pizzerias, some crappy apts., some parking lots". That clears things up alot... and makes ti sound so much more appealing than thos slanderous comments about it being a ghetto...
 ;)
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 02:36:52 PM »
No thanks.

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 02:38:18 PM »
I was curious about Newark's murder rate versus total population, so I checked.  It lists that there were 106 murders last year, with an estimated (2005) pop. of 280,666.  That is remarkably high for a city of that size, however, it may be isolated to certain areas not near the law school.
Albany Law School Class of 2010

Mpmav1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 02:39:37 PM »
I agree with this review of the area around Seton.  It's not the nicest area and I would assume (as in any major city) walking around at midnight is a bit more dangerous.

I visited Seton (from Seattle) and after reading what has been posted on LSD, I was expecting to get shot at least twice on my walk over from the train station.  However, my wife and I were pleasantly surprised with the area around Seton.  There are a few really nice apartments within 5 mins walking distance for $1400.  There really is not a whole lot in regards to night life, cool restaurants, etc.  But I personally felt safe the entire time.  In fact, I thought the area around Brooklyn Law was MUCH more run down and “ghetto” than Seton... using the word Ghetto very loosely  This was only my 5 hour impression, but I agree with the Iceslip here that many of the posters on LSD are greatly exaggerating the Seton “ghetto”.

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 02:41:55 PM »
Newark is a ghost town after 5, when all the commuters leave. I visited Rutgers with my father, and 1 minute after leaving the parking deck, we were approached by a homeless woman. Additionally, it's the car theft capital of the country. For me personally, this is unsettling.
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 02:44:29 PM »
So in other words, as long as you don't leave the abandonded/evacuated section of Newark and accidentally go to the worng area, then the neighborhood is "...simply quiet and run-down...there is simply no one there...it's just empty, that's all,". The environment surrounding the school is predominantly "...some older, closed pizzerias, some crappy apts., some parking lots". That clears things up alot... and makes ti sound so much more appealing than thos slanderous comments about it being a ghetto...
 ;)
Rob

C'mon man...give me a break.  Have you EVER walked around any freaking city at night?  Seriously?  You ever even walk in mid-town Manhattan at night on a weekday??  Things CLOSE and there are some bums, etc. here and there.  But there is NOBODY AROUND to bother you.  And ANY other place in America, things are dead come nightfall. 

Man where are you from, Kansas or some crap?    Haha as long as you don't "accidentally" go into the wrong area???  what are you talking about?  I'm saying if you got 20+ min. OUT OF YOUR WAY from Rutgers, you will be in the ghetto.  But you're an idiot, so why am I bothering.

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 02:45:41 PM »
 ;)
Rob

C'mon man...give me a break.  Have you EVER walked around any freaking city at night?  Seriously?  You ever even walk in mid-town Manhattan at night on a weekday??  Things CLOSE and there are some bums, etc. here and there.  But there is NOBODY AROUND to bother you.  And ANY other place in America, things are dead come nightfall. 

Man where are you from, Kansas or some crap?    Haha as long as you don't "accidentally" go into the wrong area???  what are you talking about?  I'm saying if you got 20+ min. OUT OF YOUR WAY from Rutgers, you will be in the ghetto.  But you're an idiot, so why am I bothering.

Does the fact that there's nobody around tell you something? Like perhaps people are scared shitless to be outside?
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 02:45:56 PM »
Newark is a ghost town after 5, when all the commuters leave. I visited Rutgers with my father, and 1 minute after leaving the parking deck, we were approached by a homeless woman. Additionally, it's the car theft capital of the country. For me personally, this is unsettling.

GASPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

A HOMELESS PERSON APPROACHED YOU

she actually APPROACHED you?  You actually mean she walked towards your direction asking for change?  

oh

my

god.    

Wow...you people need to get out of middle-America.  

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 02:46:32 PM »
 ;)
Rob

Does the fact that there's nobody around tell you something? Like perhaps people are scared shitless to be outside?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Have you even been to a city my friend?  I mean, any city outside of Topeka.