Law School Discussion

University of Pennsylvania Class of 2010

Re: University of Pennsylvania Class of 2010
« Reply #2070 on: May 21, 2007, 08:46:40 AM »
Second page?  Boo.

Best Disney Cartoon: Alice in Wonderland.

Or possibly The Great Mouse Detective.

Had to jump in here.  Best animated disney movie is in my 'tar!! Little Mermaid baby!!

Though I will say that Alice in Wonderland in in my top 5 and that the Great Mouse Detective is highly underrated.

Yeah.. The Little Mermaid is great.  Alice in Wonderland just has sentimental value and the added random cuteness.  I was trying to find a picture of the birds with the glasses but.. no dice.

And Great Mouse Detective IS highly underrated!  Thank you!  More people need to watch that movie... it's awesome.

The Sword in the Stone is another underrated one and one of my all time favs.  That movie is HILARIOUS!

Yes!  I LOVE the scenes with the squirrels.  Quality.

And Robin Hood.. the snake and the bear... good times...

Meanwhile: welcome, Curtis1619!  You'll love it here.  I know I do.  :)

Yes!! And ANY scene with Archimedes--I love that part where he's teaching the boy how to write script and he starts stomping on his head!! "Use your head boy!!" :D :D :D

« Reply #2071 on: May 21, 2007, 04:09:57 PM »
Hey guys,
So I just got a call from Penn's admission office offering me a spot in the class off the waitlist.  I thought I was all set to go to UVa, but now I have to make a decision on Penn by Wednesday. I'm going up to see the school tomorrow (although unfortunately classes are over so I will really only get to see the facilities). My question for you guys is, assuming I did accept their offer, what is the situation with getting an apartment at this point? Are people still looking for roommates? Is it still possible to get an apartment close to the law school? Any comments would be much appreciated!

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: May 21, 2007, 04:13:40 PM »
Hey guys,
So I just got a call from Penn's admission office offering me a spot in the class off the waitlist.  I thought I was all set to go to UVa, but now I have to make a decision on Penn by Wednesday. I'm going up to see the school tomorrow (although unfortunately classes are over so I will really only get to see the facilities). My question for you guys is, assuming I did accept their offer, what is the situation with getting an apartment at this point? Are people still looking for roommates? Is it still possible to get an apartment close to the law school? Any comments would be much appreciated!

first of all, CONGRATS!!!!!!

second of all, re: your question about housing, don't worry, housng is still available. Since Philly is a city and an affordable one at that, there are plenty of availabilities. Also, there's an admitted student forum/facebook group and LSD where you can find roomates without a huge hassle. I've been set on Penn for a while, but I'm only going down to philly to check out housing next week because its not really worth it to go beforehand because most complexes only require 60 days notice for vacating tenants (So they wouldn't know about august availabilities until june 1st).

congrats yet again and if you have any questions, do PM me (it came down to Penn vs. UVA for me as well.)

« Reply #2073 on: May 21, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
Thanks Pookie and Cane. At least I know I won't wouldn't have to live out on the streets if I went to Penn  :)  Getting an apartment in a city is obviously very different than in a college town.

For those of you that were able to make it to an admitted students weekend (or visited another time during the semester), what was the atmosphere like? More laid-back or competitive?

Team Pam

• "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: May 21, 2007, 05:48:52 PM »
Thanks Pookie and Cane. At least I know I won't wouldn't have to live out on the streets if I went to Penn  :)  Getting an apartment in a city is obviously very different than in a college town.

For those of you that were able to make it to an admitted students weekend (or visited another time during the semester), what was the atmosphere like? More laid-back or competitive?

I visited during ASW and have a good friend who just finished 2L.  The atmosphere is definitely friendly and laid-back, but people are still really passionate about their studies and work hard, too.  The vibe I get is "work hard, play hard". 

Team Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: May 21, 2007, 05:49:43 PM »
Psst, pookie, I think we're going to be in Philadelphia the same weekend.  We should try to meet up!

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: May 21, 2007, 06:04:20 PM »
Psst, pookie, I think we're going to be in Philadelphia the same weekend.  We should try to meet up!

yay! are you looking at housing too?

« Reply #2077 on: May 21, 2007, 06:08:14 PM »

Congratulations!  I'm a rising 2L so i think I can address the atmosphere question.  Penn has a rep for being laidback... I know people joke about it on here, but it's totally deserved.  The administration really fosters a community feeling--you should email Gary Clinton, dean of students, and see if you can meet with him.  He's been here like 25 years, so he know everything there is to know about Penn.  I wasn't really involved in my school as a UG, but I think the fact that Penn is a smaller school made me really want to take initiative or something, because somehow I ended up with a gazillion extracurricular activities.  I run a sports team, and next year will be VP of a specialized law group... plus I'm a member of tons of stuff.... (incidentally, if you look at the list of activities and don't see the one you want, it's super easy to start a group, even as a 1L).

Because there's basically something for everyone, I don't really feel that it's at all competitive.  Most people here will get Biglaw if they want it, and we know it.... so what's the point of stressing too much about grades? I went out A LOT the first two months I was here-- maybe 3-4 nights/week on average.  It tapers off around finals, tho.  It's kind of amazing that, given how many smart people are here, there isn't too much intellectual one-upmanship.  Any time I've been having a conversation about something I don't understand, the classmate involved has always tried to explain it to me. 

There are a lot of new, young professors who run more friendly classrooms (using first names, less random cold calling, not caring if you can't remember an answer).  A few of the older professors are not like this; my civ pro prof was one of these.  But you know, the benefit to being in that class is that I remember Civ Pro REALLY well.  Also, I'm someone who hates talking in a large group setting, but being forced to do it some really helped me feel more at ease with it.  By second semester, I just didn't care about getting called on.

As for housing, now is a perfect time to start looking.  I got my apt. on craiglist sometime in June.  You can PM me if you want more info about which areas to look; there's also lots of info on the admitted students' site.

Hope to see you here in the fall!  :)

Team Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: May 21, 2007, 07:17:11 PM »

yay! are you looking at housing too?

Yup!  I need to start making calls this week to set up appointments.  And I need to figure out where to stay.  I wonder if there's a special Penn rate at Club Quarters even if it's not ASW.

'tiki

• Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: May 21, 2007, 09:56:58 PM »
Hi everyone! Welcome to the new Penn peeps. I have been way too busy with Senior Week, but wanted to drop in and say hi. BTW what the heck was going on with Heroes tonight? I was totally confused with that ending.

In a different rant, Lindsay Lohan is a whore. Her character in Georgia Rule confirms it, that's all.