Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Pennsylvania Class of 2010  (Read 87578 times)

The Pookie

• Sr. Citizen
  • the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
Re: University of Pennsylvania Class of 2010
« Reply #2020 on: May 17, 2007, 06:19:40 PM »
riverwest ain't great, but it's ok and it takes dogs.  last year, there were a gazillion places there listed on CL all throughout the summer... so it's a good backup.  the lobby isn't terrible or anything.

So yeah.. speaking of back up...  I'm trying to decide whether to just take a place I've found now and suck up the extra rent for two months (I'm living at home this summer, so at least I won't be paying rent twice) or to wait and hope something just as good comes up for an August 1st start date instead.  In the past has it seemed like people were able to find things on short notice?  Should I just let this place go and hope for the best come the end of July?  (And try to avoid craigslist in the interim so I don't get sucked into wanting a place?)  What's everyone doing?

personally, i'm going down to philly at June 1st to get the first jump at the 60-day notice apartments (which will be free by August 1st) but if i find something on craigslist or www.phillyweekly.com , i'll just take it. Since I hope to be living in the same place for 3 years, i think it'll be worth the extra rent in the long run.

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2021 on: May 17, 2007, 06:23:24 PM »
Going the first week of July. I'm willing to pay a month of non-occupancy if need be, but it looks like most things come up not too long ahead of vacancy. Early July for available Aug 1 seems reasonable (well, too me, for what that's worth).
Penn (2007)

The Pookie

• Sr. Citizen
  • the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: May 17, 2007, 06:40:21 PM »
a superserious question for all familiar with philly:

after a while perusing the bus routes, which was not a fun experience, I figured that if I live in CC AND want to take the bus to school, i should live near Walnut/Chesnut/Lombard Streets.

am i off point?

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: May 17, 2007, 08:03:06 PM »
a superserious question for all familiar with philly:

after a while perusing the bus routes, which was not a fun experience, I figured that if I live in CC AND want to take the bus to school, i should live near Walnut/Chesnut/Lombard Streets.

am i off point?

Yes, the bus to school runs on Walnut (there's a stop right in front of my house, in fact). But Chestnut and Lombard aren't too far from Walnut. You could even take the bus living at Spruce, Locust, Pine, etc. it would just be a slightly longer walk.
Penn Law '09

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: May 17, 2007, 08:25:09 PM »

So yeah.. speaking of back up...  I'm trying to decide whether to just take a place I've found now and suck up the extra rent for two months (I'm living at home this summer, so at least I won't be paying rent twice) or to wait and hope something just as good comes up for an August 1st start date instead.  In the past has it seemed like people were able to find things on short notice?  Should I just let this place go and hope for the best come the end of July?  (And try to avoid craigslist in the interim so I don't get sucked into wanting a place?)  What's everyone doing?

Do you love it?  If so, take it.  The stuff that's listed on CL in the summer goes the same day it's posted, if it's good.... so if you're not in the city to look at it, it will be hard.  Plus, even if you want to stay in Philly this summer, eventually you'll want your lease to be over at the end of may.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

rjr55

• Sr. Citizen
  • ?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ohraquel7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: May 17, 2007, 11:14:02 PM »
gah, i had the toby call on tuesday on my way to new orleans.  i haven't heard anything since then, though according to lsn, neither has anyone else.  i wish he'd just hurry up and let me know either way so i can get on with my life...

the thing that sucks is that i love penn so much, and my time in philly last week only reinforced my decision to go there.  still, harvard's harvard, and i think i'll go there if i get an offer.  i really didn't think i had any chance of getting in off the waitlist, so it all came as a big shock, and i hadn't really prepared myself for the possibility. 

of course, i haven't been accepted yet - maybe hls will make the decision really easy for me and not let me in after all of this. meh.

The Pookie

• Sr. Citizen
  • the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: May 18, 2007, 12:39:56 AM »
gah, i had the toby call on tuesday on my way to new orleans.  i haven't heard anything since then, though according to lsn, neither has anyone else.  i wish he'd just hurry up and let me know either way so i can get on with my life...

the thing that sucks is that i love penn so much, and my time in philly last week only reinforced my decision to go there.  still, harvard's harvard, and i think i'll go there if i get an offer.  i really didn't think i had any chance of getting in off the waitlist, so it all came as a big shock, and i hadn't really prepared myself for the possibility. 

of course, i haven't been accepted yet - maybe hls will make the decision really easy for me and not let me in after all of this. meh.

well..you don't *have* to take their offer....its not like they're holding a gun to your head....

maybe?

EDIT: i have additional evidence of Penn's superiority! Penn 2010's thread count >>> Harvard 2010's thread count. Keep in mind that HLS' class is twice the size of penn's. Makes you think...

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2027 on: May 18, 2007, 09:38:44 AM »
Good mornin' everyone! I will be sporadically posting for the next week or so and not necessarily with the best spelling. YAY Senior Week!

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: May 18, 2007, 10:42:15 AM »
tonight is our commencement ball.  how quickly everything has come to an end  :'(

FearOfMusic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2029 on: May 18, 2007, 10:42:53 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/16/philly.homicides/index.html

Note to self: stay out of North Philly.

i saw that - cringe

agreed, but truthfully? we wont' have much reason to go up there.

unless youre looking for some crack or get extremely lost, youll have no reason to be in any of the sketchy areas
Once in a lifetime(A): Penn
Thank you for sending me an angel(In): Chicago, NYU, Duke, GULC, BC, Temple
Puzzlin evidence(WL): Columbia
Road to nowhere(Out): YLS