Law School Discussion

University of Pennsylvania Class of 2010

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
Re: University of Pennsylvania Class of 2010
« Reply #2040 on: May 18, 2007, 09:31:30 PM »
http://www.rent.com/rentals/pennsylvania/philadelphia-and-vicinity/philadelphia/center-city/480949/?emailclass_id=89&email_id=814618412&click=property_view

this seems to be a good place for y'all who are looking for a dog-friendly place, but it seems a bit out of way from the bus lines, but not too bad

mantis

• View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: May 18, 2007, 09:35:38 PM »
New SUPER SERIOUS thing to discuss:

Name a type of movie, a genre if you will, and declare which movie in that genre is the greatest ever made and why.

I'll begin by telling everyone that "The Sandlot" is the greatest baseball movie ever made because it captures what baseball should be, the fun of just playing.

What about "The Natural"?  I love that movie... but I'm not a baseball person, so I don't have any good reasons why it should win the baseball genre.

Genre: Period film
Greatest movie ever made: Pride and Prejudice, the BBC version
Why:  Pride and Prejudice is just such a great book.. and the BBC version was so long that it was able to keep all the good stuff.  The language is just perfect and the actors deliver it beautifully.  

"You are mistaken Mr. Darcy.  The mode of your declaration merely spared me any concern I might have felt in refusing you had you behaved in a more gentlemanlike manner.  You could not have made me the offer of your hand in any possible way that would have tempted me to accept you.  From the very beginning, your manner impressed me to the fullest extent of your arrogance, your conceit, and your selfish distain for the feelings of others.  I had not known you a month before I felt you were the last man in the world whom I could ever marry."

Most biting rejection ever.  I heart Jennifer Ehle.

And yes, I'm a nerdy nerdy girl.  Or a girlie girlie nerd, either one really.

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: May 18, 2007, 09:45:30 PM »
best violent/Taranitino film:

tie between Kill Bill/Pulp Fiction with Pulp fiction slightly edging out Kill Bill

what can i say, i love blood and guts. I think i should've been born a boy. oh well.

mantis

• View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: May 18, 2007, 09:50:42 PM »

tie between Kill Bill/Pulp Fiction with Pulp fiction slightly edging out Kill Bill

what can i say, i love blood and guts. I think i should've been born a boy. oh well.

Hey, I love blood and guts too... I just have a harder time ranking the blood and guts movies. 

I don't really know what genre to call it, but "Out of Sight" is my best... action/comedy/drama or whatever.  Heist film maybe?  Great movie.  Even though JLo is in it.  It was before she was JLo so I feel like it gets a pass.  Maybe?

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: May 18, 2007, 09:54:28 PM »

Hey, I love blood and guts too... I just have a harder time ranking the blood and guts movies. 

I don't really know what genre to call it, but "Out of Sight" is my best... action/comedy/drama or whatever.  Heist film maybe?  Great movie.  Even though JLo is in it.  It was before she was JLo so I feel like it gets a pass.  Maybe?

defintely, it was a very good film - i hate JLo films, they usually flop terribly.

and yay for blood and guts! however, i must say, i think i'd be scared to meet tarantino in real life

Sin City was up there for me as well.

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: May 18, 2007, 09:56:06 PM »
oh and the prize of the most confusing movie ever: Mulholland Drive

the dream sequences/f'ed up timelines really threw me off. i had to go online just to figure out what in the hell it was about and i consider myself a reasonablly smart film watcher.

oh yes, and best revenge film: Boondock Saints

mantis

• View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: May 18, 2007, 10:07:36 PM »

the dream sequences/f'ed up timelines really threw me off. i had to go online just to figure out what in the hell it was about and i consider myself a reasonablly smart film watcher.

Seriously.  In college my boyfriend and I watched that movie like ten times (with closed captions, without closed captions.. blah blah blah) just trying to figure out wtf was going on... Oy.

I can never decide best car chase film... Ronin?  One of the Bourne movies?  French Connection?  I love a good car chase.. maybe because I love car chases so, I can't pick the one I love most?  :)

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: May 18, 2007, 10:17:19 PM »

Seriously.  In college my boyfriend and I watched that movie like ten times (with closed captions, without closed captions.. blah blah blah) just trying to figure out wtf was going on... Oy.

I can never decide best car chase film... Ronin?  One of the Bourne movies?  French Connection?  I love a good car chase.. maybe because I love car chases so, I can't pick the one I love most?  :)

haha, did the closed captions help?

for girly girly movie, i actualy liked Amelie, along with everyone else in the US.

« Reply #2048 on: May 18, 2007, 11:21:11 PM »
Best romantic comedy: SAY ANYTHING.

Lloyd Dobler, 'nuf said.  :)

Best cult classic: Office Space / Clerks (a tie, although OS prolly has the edge)

Best high school movie: Clueless (entirely a my generation thing)

Best Pixar (they are their own genre): Monsters Inc. (very debatable, but I just love this one--"Kitty!" and "I only have eye for you")

Best super weepy romance: The Notebook (I love you Ryan Gosling!)

Best Comedy: Zoolander

m1

• View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: May 18, 2007, 11:38:10 PM »
Best oldschool comedy - The Great Race or Clue