Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T1 v T2  (Read 2609 times)

quem vem la-sou eu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
T1 v T2
« on: April 11, 2007, 01:43:39 AM »
I'm trying to determine how much of the prestige factor I'd be losing by choosing a low T2 school over a low T1 school.

An attorney recently said to me, "Beyond t14, every law school is regional." Can I extrapolate this to mean that no hiring manager really cares whether your school is ranked 40 or 80, because at that point it's just a matter of regional connections?

And how does this play out 5-10 years into your career? Once I saw a recruiting ad for a law firm that said "Tier 1 JD's only" or something to that effect. Does the tier of a lawyer's JD affect portability even years into their career?

Pkorkis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: T1 v T2
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 01:48:26 PM »
bump...i'm interested in any info on this too...
Going to (as of right now): Loyola LA

162, 3.37

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Pkorkis

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 01:56:55 PM »

The T-1000's liquid metal is superior.  But it cannot form into complex moving parts.
Princeton Law 2010

ChiSox07

• View Profile
    • LSN Site
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 04:10:02 PM »
I can give you my personal experience, working in a complex-litigation boutique firm in Chicago.  From all the attorneys I've talked to, there is a hierarchy of schools that extends beyond the top 14.  Here's how I'd say our firm recruits and hires:
1. Chicago
2. Northwestern and other T-14's
3. Illinois/Notre Dame/Wash U/Other Top 35 schools (Top 50% of class)
4. Loyola Chicago (and you better be top 10% and on some journals)
Our firm doesn't hire Kent, DePaul, or really any other school below rank 40

I think a Tier 2 with an extensive network in a market is an asset, but if you can get your foot in the door from a Tier 1, you still have a better shot at a BIGLAW job.  I don't speak for all firms, just the one I work for.
Boston College 2010!

Staying on WL at UIUC and ND

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=DaveFox05

ChiSox07

• View Profile
    • LSN Site
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 04:16:57 PM »

not-so-subtle southside troll

Troll?  I take offense.
Boston College 2010!

Staying on WL at UIUC and ND

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=DaveFox05

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 04:23:26 PM »
I go to a higher ranked tier one school.  We get invited to a significant amount of recruitment events in the area.  When we are at the big firm receptions, it is always us, a Tier 14, and pretty much that is it.  A few of them invite tier one schools.  There are 8 schools that feed into our area, and with the exception of a very hgihly respected historically black school, only tier 1s are getting actively recruited.  This might not say as much with regards to careers past your job out, but it helps get your foot in the door.

You should really try and receive the best education possible.  Any money you can save at a tier 2, really isnt worth it.  I have the option of returning to my school or going to one within 5 spots on the rankings.  I pay 58K.  The other school is instate and will cost 15K.  I am staying here.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 04:29:25 PM »
Tag

Le Docteur De Peste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 04:51:19 PM »
In the battle of T1 v T2, two man enter, one man leave. It will be T1.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 05:09:15 PM »
I retract my statement, here is my real advice.

Choose the school that is the most expensive, take out as many loans as physically possible, cash the checks, sell everything you own, and go to Mexico (I dont remember if they extradite yet or not, my crim law professor sucked and I learned nothing) and chill on the beach.  Oh, and if you are a girl, buy an extra ticket and pick me up in DC on the way down.

phillip

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 05:11:09 PM »
How do you know which schools are T1 and which are T2? I'm trying to decide between Indiana Bloomington and Kansas. Kansas is a third of Indiana's cost.