Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accounting or Law  (Read 3881 times)

Mickey Ward

• Sr. Citizen
  • A kid from Lowell rises to the bell...
    • View Profile
Re: Accounting or Law
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2007, 12:41:05 AM »
First wanted to thank everyone for their replies, and second wanted to see what you guys thought of my plan. My idea is to take the GMAT this summer and then applying to MAcc program during the course of the fall. I'll take the February LSAT which will allow me more time to study and the opportunity to use my senior grades when applying to law school. If I can get accepted to some MAcc programs with some scholarship money I'll do that for a year, become registered as a CPA, and then apply to law school the following year. If not, I'll just work for a year before applying to law school.

Pros:
Ability to take the LSAT in the spring instead of my booked up summer.
Taking MAcc courses will allow me enough hours to become a CPA.
Senior grades applied when applying to law school (huge plus for me).
Ability to decided based on scholarship money if a MAcc program is worth it.
Letters of recommendations from MAcc professors, plus distancing myself from my community college grades more.

Cons:
Hopefully it won't appear to adcomms that I'm applying to law school to further delay a "real life" job, maybe not so bad because I'll have had 6 years part-time work experience before law school applications.
If I don't receive scholarship money it might not be worth the price.

I'm also thinking of applying to USC's Master's in Business Taxation instead of their MAcc program, because my end result will hopefully being a tax attorney.

Thoughts/comments? Anything is appreciated!!

You usually need at least 2 years of full-time public accounting experience to get your CPA.

paul1454

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2007, 01:38:36 AM »
Depends on the state.  I know Kentucky has only a 2000 hour experience requirement while Florida does not have one at all. 

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2007, 08:49:38 AM »
First wanted to thank everyone for their replies, and second wanted to see what you guys thought of my plan. My idea is to take the GMAT this summer and then applying to MAcc program during the course of the fall. I'll take the February LSAT which will allow me more time to study and the opportunity to use my senior grades when applying to law school. If I can get accepted to some MAcc programs with some scholarship money I'll do that for a year, become registered as a CPA, and then apply to law school the following year. If not, I'll just work for a year before applying to law school.

Pros:
Ability to take the LSAT in the spring instead of my booked up summer.
Taking MAcc courses will allow me enough hours to become a CPA.
Senior grades applied when applying to law school (huge plus for me).
Ability to decided based on scholarship money if a MAcc program is worth it.
Letters of recommendations from MAcc professors, plus distancing myself from my community college grades more.

Cons:
Hopefully it won't appear to adcomms that I'm applying to law school to further delay a "real life" job, maybe not so bad because I'll have had 6 years part-time work experience before law school applications.
If I don't receive scholarship money it might not be worth the price.

I'm also thinking of applying to USC's Master's in Business Taxation instead of their MAcc program, because my end result will hopefully being a tax attorney.

Thoughts/comments? Anything is appreciated!!

I think you've done a great job thinking this through and that your plan is a good one. I'd venture to say that your "cons" list doesn't even look that bad. I agree that adcomms probably won't think you are avoiding getting a "real" job given that you do have some experience. Adcomms will likely notice the upward trend in your grades so I wouldn't worry too much about the CC grades.

The (general) Macc program might be a better choice just to broaden your education than the Masters in Tax. Besides there will likely be some overlap in the 2 Masters degrees and you'll get the Tax edu in LS if you decide to do the JD/LLM in Tax. While yes, it would be great preparation for the LLM in Tax, what if you decide you don't want to do tax? In that case you've unnecessarily specialized your education. The Macc gives you greater flexibility IMO.

BTW I can't remember whether you've mentioned this but you might consider a JD/Mac (concurrently).Esp since the LLM is generally a 4th yr degree (after LS) anyway, Miami being the only exception I know of. Although, not all schools offer the Macc/JD combo so keep that in mind.

Good luck!
The hottest chicks go to UMiami