Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Housing at MSU  (Read 1626 times)

kd17

• View Profile
Housing at MSU
« on: April 10, 2007, 10:50:28 PM »
any thoughts?  graduate housing? university apts? off campus?  thanks!

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Housing at MSU
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 04:54:48 PM »
I know Owen Hall is an option, but the rooms are very small and you don't even have a full bed.  I would probably try something off campus.  Check out the MSU site and you might consider taking on a roommate to save some money! I am going to Okemos, which is about a 10 minute drive from the LS. Good luck.
Bumpersticker and Laptop (Attending): MSU '10
Bumpersticker (In): Pitt, Case($), MSU($$$$), Loyola, Cincinnatti($), Toledo ($$$$)
I'm sorry can you hold (WL): American
Dropped call (OUT): OSU

littlemisssunshine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 10:42:39 AM »
any thoughts?  graduate housing? university apts? off campus?  thanks!

as a current undergrad student (well i guess now an alum!) there here's some thoughts.

owen is eh. it's really close to the law school, but the conditions aren't fantastic. the remainder of the university apartments are eh also-but they are opening a new set of apartments in the fall. They are similar to the large new four bedroom apartments that i've heard are popping up everywhere including east lansing.

Off campus there is a huge range of choices based on what price/style/location you're interested in. Right near campus-north of grand river is the student area..the typical old rental houses with random apartments scattered throughout. Okemos is a good place to get somewhat older, but nice apartments in a quieter more adult neighborhood. There's also the area most people refer to as Dover's Crossing in South Lansing. There's three apartment complexes there: Dover's Crossing, University Court, and Trapper's Cove. They vary in age, price, and size. The last big area would be the Northern Tier. These are a ton of newish apartments and are grouped together as Chandler's Crossing.

A good website to see what people think of their places is www.allmsu.com. Good luck!
I am a UMich Law Student..but never a Wolverine :)

kaycee7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 10:32:19 PM »
If I were you I would look into off campus apartments.  Living on campus is a pain in the ass, and there are plenty of buses that make getting to the law school really easy from off campus.  A good website you could check out is dtnmgt.com.  There are a ton of places on there where you could live in a quieter area away from the usual MSU crowd.  If you want a roommate people post ads on allmsu.com, and you shouldn't have a problem finding something there.  Hope this helps!

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 11:59:37 PM »
After searching around for a long time, finally have a decent idea about the area. There are a ton of choices, so it depends on what is a priority to you. For me, I made it a priority that the school would be within biking distance, that it would be furnished and have the utilities+rent combined be something reasonable (Under 550/month).

After reading the apartment reviews on allmsu, it made it difficult to go the apartment path, there are well over a hundred different complexes, but the vast majority of them have some really bad reviews and few of them are within a mile of the school.

In the end, I found that the houses/duplexes were the best for what I wanted, I found one that was furnished, fairly new, 1/2 a mile from the law school and was only 530 total, with the landlord taking care of all utilities, including things like lawn mowing.

It's pretty late in the housing season as well, which is another reason why there aren't many decent apartments left.

Good luck with your search.