Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory Class of 2010  (Read 22085 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Emory Class of 2010
« Reply #250 on: July 19, 2007, 09:38:22 PM »
Yeah, I knew where it was, I just hadn't looked at it recently, and in the registrar's last email she made it sound like it wasn't going to get posted until closer to August.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 19, 2007, 09:40:27 PM »
Oh, and for books, I tend to use half.com, and save a ton.

If you want to risk it, I know a couple of people who ordered their books on half or whatever the second they found out their section.  Until they arrived, they bought books from the bookstore, but then never highlighted or wrote in them, and returned them w/in the return period.  It's kind of underhanded, but if you're poor, you have to do what you have to do, I suppose.  It probably doesn't work with books that are shrinkwrapped, which you get occasionally.

FrankWhite

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 20, 2007, 11:58:30 AM »
Ha I did that in undergrad. I knew a place on campus to get books re-shrink wrapped though.
Emory Law Class of 2010

EmoryATL

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 20, 2007, 02:54:13 PM »
Is the legal methods final a take-home exam?  Its scheduled for the end of the exam period.  Do 1Ls have to stay in Atlanta for it?

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 20, 2007, 05:12:03 PM »
Is the legal methods final a take-home exam?  Its scheduled for the end of the exam period.  Do 1Ls have to stay in Atlanta for it?

Yes it is (or has been in the past, anyway), and yes you do.

Here is the email we got with the instructions for turning it in this past year:

First, congratulations on being done with all your in-class exams!  Second, here are some important reminders about returning your take-home tomorrow.

You will return the exams in separate boxes at Rm. G114, the conference room on the ground floor of Gambrell where we've been printing exam answers for two weeks.  The exams will be taken into that room and the door will be closed at 5 p.m. sharp.  If you arrive after 5 p.m., you MUST find me (probably in Rm. G111) and give me the exam in person.  DO NOT put it in anyone's mailbox, slip it under any doors, etc.

If you want to turn in the exam earlier than 4 p.m. tomorrow, you may do that but again -- find me and turn it in to me in person.  I will put it with the other exams at 4 p.m.

PLEASE give yourself plenty of time to print out your exam and make whatever number of copies your professor has required, as well as to get here to hand it in.  Remember that the whole 1L class will be trying to print tomorrow afternoon, and don't count on getting ready access to a printer or copier in the library, for example.  You won't get extra time for equipment problems.

Finally, rush hour in Atlanta starts about 4 p.m. and the traffic can be horrible, especially this time of year.   Please give yourself lots of time to drive over and drop off your exam.  Hang in there, you're almost done!
Emory '09

LSN

kitcat

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 20, 2007, 05:32:05 PM »
Well it looks like we can at least buy the Civil Procedure book by Freer & Perdue since all the sections require that book, as well as Elements of Law for our Legal Methods class and the required book for the LWRAP class.

withasigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 20, 2007, 05:58:36 PM »
Well it looks like we can at least buy the Civil Procedure book by Freer & Perdue since all the sections require that book, as well as Elements of Law for our Legal Methods class and the required book for the LWRAP class.

So that's

Civ Pro
Civil Procedure: Cases, Materials and Questions Freer & Perdue Lexis Nexis - 4th
Edition, 2005 ISBN#: 08205-62386
http://www.campusbooks.com/books/08205-62386/

Legal Methods
Elements of Law - Hanks, Herz, Nemerson - 1994 LEXIS NEXIS - ISBN
http://www.campusbooks.com/books/0820563447/

LWRAP
Association of Legal Writing Directors & Darby Dickerson, ALWD Citation
Manual: A Professional System of Citation (3rd Ed., Aspen Publishers 2005)
REQUIRED FOR ALL SECTIONS
http://www.campusbooks.com/books/0735555710/

Bryan A. Garner, The Redbook: A Manual on Legal Style (2nd Ed. Thomson West
2006) RECOMMENDED FOR ALL SECTIONS
http://www.campusbooks.com/books/0314168915/

Black's Law Dictionary RECOMMENDED FOR ALL SECTIONS
http://www.campusbooks.com/books/search.php?search_type=1&q=blacks+law&search.x=0&search.y=0

It looks like the savings potential on these books alone is around $100 or so by purchasing them online instead of at the bookstore.
Emory '10

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 20, 2007, 06:51:45 PM »
Just some advice (take it or leave it!)

I never used my style manual in LWRAP, and I don't know of anyone else who did either.  If you decide to get it, find it for as cheap as possible used.

I'm on the fence for the Black's Law Dictionary.  I bought the big nice one.  I never have had a need to use it, really.  When you get your Westlaw password, it's very easy to access Black's from your start page.  I have used mine at home when I'm already looking at cases or whatever in Westlaw and didn't want to navigate away from where I was.  Unless you just want to look prestigious by having it on your shelf, a used pocket edition will probably serve you just as well as the huge expensive monstrosity I got.

Prestigious Emory 2L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #258 on: July 21, 2007, 04:36:07 PM »
don't get a black's law dictionary, it's a waste of money. i guarantee you won't need it. 

here ya go
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases_%28full%29

spend the $70 (or whatever they charge for that behemoth) on a fun night out during orientation.

JM26

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 23, 2007, 03:06:51 PM »

The parking passes across the street from the law school at the Emory Inn (or whatever its called) are all sold out.