Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory Class of 2010  (Read 21879 times)

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
Re: Emory Class of 2010
« Reply #230 on: July 12, 2007, 04:54:55 PM »
nope...
VIP.

FrankWhite

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 12, 2007, 05:23:55 PM »
I guess we have mandatory community service before we graduate? ???
Emory Law Class of 2010

Prestigious Emory 2L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #232 on: July 12, 2007, 05:27:11 PM »
hello, incoming 1L's ;)

JM26

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 12, 2007, 05:46:05 PM »

Well I sign up for the LegalEagle class of '10 mailing list and I've been 2-3 emails per day ab this n that.

withasigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 13, 2007, 01:19:20 AM »
Did you guys get the email about Emory's public interest group? What do they mean - "make a dent" in volunteer hrs before school starts?

It was an email sent out directly by Arnita Howard to the Legal Eagles listserv.  If yours is set to digest mode you might receive it later.  Here's the main section of the email, without the part that has contact info in it.

"The Emory Public Interest Committee is the student-led advocacy group at Emory. We are responsible for building the public interest community at Emory via volunteer and informational opportunities throughout the year.  We also raise the funding for the Public Interest Grants, which allow students to work in otherwise unpaid summer internships in public interest work.

We're calling all local volunteers for the annual sorting of the EPIC books for the fall book sale.  We've scheduled the sorting parties for Sunday, July 22nd, and Saturday, August 4th, from 3:30 until about 7pm.

Snacks and assorted (adult) beverages will be provided - we want to make this as fun as possible! Part of qualifying for a grant includes participation in a set number of volunteer hours. The book sorting is a fantastic way to put a dent in your volunteer hours requirement before classes consume your waking hours!"
Emory '10

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 13, 2007, 07:41:57 AM »
Hmm...that email could be a little clear about things I think.  EPIC gives grants to students who do public interest/government work 1L summer (but if you're working for a District Attorney's office - gov't work - don't count on getting one.  Not that I'm bitter at all).  You have to attend the EPIC public interest conference they hold in the fall (which everyone should consider going to anyway b/c its usually pretty interesting), and do a minimum number of community service hours.  Working the book sale for EPIC and working for other EPIC events is one good and relatively painless way to get some hours under your belt.

kitcat

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 13, 2007, 01:40:33 PM »
"Part of qualifying for a grant includes participation in a set number of volunteer hours."

So we don't need to fulfill these volunteer hours if we're not trying to get this grant for non-profit/govt. summer jobs right?

withasigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 13, 2007, 02:18:02 PM »
So we don't need to fulfill these volunteer hours if we're not trying to get this grant for non-profit/govt. summer jobs right?

Yes, but unless you've got something lined up already, which seems unlikey for most people, then it might be best to cover your bases.  I'm basing my current budget so the school loans will last me for the full 12 months until the 2L loans come in, but would certainly like to get some extra money over next summer.
Emory '10

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 13, 2007, 05:18:34 PM »
Unless you've already got something lined up, DON'T count on landing a paying job during your 1L summer.  Go ahead and jump through the EPIC hoops (which is actually quite easy) and stay on the safe side.
Emory '09

LSN

Zenith Electronics Corp.

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BLFGmiii
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 18, 2007, 02:40:21 AM »
this thread is not approved