Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory Class of 2010  (Read 21961 times)

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Emory Class of 2010
« Reply #210 on: June 27, 2007, 03:36:07 PM »
Well Captain, I think you might be all right. Purely anectdotal of course, but I asked around a little at ASD about NYC jobs, and I know some other people did, and the students and career services folk seemed to think that being able to get a job in NYC wasn't a big deal. Now, granted, you might not be at Cravath or Watchell, but getting a big bucks firm job in NYC is doable.

You only have to work 80 hours a week.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 27, 2007, 09:45:13 PM »
You know, there are firms in NY that aren't V100.  And a lot of them pay market rate just like all the "big boys."

If you really want NYC, your grades are good, your resume looks good, and you interview well, then you'll probably get a job in NY, although perhaps it won't be V100.

If you have crappy grades, your resume is terrible, and you're a feminine hygiene product in person, then I can make no promises. :P

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 27, 2007, 09:47:47 PM »
The year before I matriculated, 44% of the graduating class stayed in Atlanta (and 44.5% stayed in Georgia, meaning that 1 person stayed in Georgia outside Atlanta).

Several people I know are spending their 1L summer in New York.  And at least two of my just-graduated 3L pals are now working in New York (and as a non-trad 1L, I didn't have a ton of 3L friends).  We do place a lot of people up there.  There's no reason to get paranoid about it.  Relax, or you'll never survive your first year.

Emory '09

LSN

EmoryATL

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2007, 09:37:37 AM »
"If you really want NYC, your grades are good, your resume looks good, and you interview well, then you'll probably get a job in NY, although perhaps it won't be V100."

What is considered good??

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 29, 2007, 07:24:46 AM »
Good is all relative.  If you have stellar grades, then the fact that your 1L summer job is your only work experience wont' matter as much.  If you have decent grades (ranked 30-40 % maybe), but law school is a second career and you have incredible work experience to bring to the table, then you're still in the running for good jobs.  I'm sure even lower grades aren't the end of the world, either; at that point, more and more is based on your personality and networking skills, as well as how committed you are to sending out targeted resumes, pounding the pavement, etc.

For OCI/job fair jobs, you're likely going to have to be top 10%.  But tons and tons of firms in NYC don't interview on campus.  It's more work, but doable.

withasigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 08, 2007, 12:30:16 AM »
http://www.law.emory.edu/cms/site/fileadmin/registrar/First_Year_Class_Schedule_Fall_2007.pdf

Here's the schedule for all the 1L classes this fall.  You can see how sectional schedules will look based on the section letters that precede professor names.  Also it appears that Torts will be the class that everyone has with their section only.
Emory '10

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #216 on: July 08, 2007, 01:36:13 AM »
http://www.law.emory.edu/cms/site/fileadmin/registrar/First_Year_Class_Schedule_Fall_2007.pdf

Here's the schedule for all the 1L classes this fall.  You can see how sectional schedules will look based on the section letters that precede professor names.  Also it appears that Torts will be the class that everyone has with their section only.
Now, if only we knew what section we would be in...
VIP.

withasigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 08, 2007, 12:10:27 PM »

We can tell a few things about our schedule from this.

1.  5 out of 6 sections will have early classes (8:30 or 8:45 start) on at least three days. 
2.  Everyone is out by 1:45 on Friday afternoon.
3.  Most sections have a two hour lunch break on each day except for Friday.
4.  No classes go past 3:45. 
5.  5 out of 6 sections have 16 hours of class time per week.
6.  Only three sections ever have three classes in a row, and when they do, they only have them on one day of the week. 

Emory '10

FrankWhite

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 09, 2007, 10:15:23 AM »

We can tell a few things about our schedule from this.

1.  5 out of 6 sections will have early classes (8:30 or 8:45 start) on at least three days. 
2.  Everyone is out by 1:45 on Friday afternoon.
3.  Most sections have a two hour lunch break on each day except for Friday.
4.  No classes go past 3:45.
5.  5 out of 6 sections have 16 hours of class time per week.
6.  Only three sections ever have three classes in a row, and when they do, they only have them on one day of the week. 

Yes... early.....
Emory Law Class of 2010

JM26

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 09, 2007, 05:55:24 PM »

I guess I'll have to get over being a non-morning person quick. I dont function very well before 11am at the earlieest.  :-\