Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory Class of 2010  (Read 21953 times)

withasigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Emory Class of 2010
« on: April 10, 2007, 06:21:34 PM »
Now that the ASD is is done with and the deposits are coming due, I think we need a new Emory thread where we can all discuss Atlanta, housing, and other topics of interest.

If facebook is helpful to you, the Class of 2010 facebook group is here,

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2262589065&ref=mf

Current deadlines:
1st Deposit: April 15th, $250
2nd Deposit: June 1st, $500

Orientation: August 23rd and 24th
Classes Start: Monday, August 27th

Useful Housing Links:

Emory's Off-Campus Housing Site
http://housing.emory.edu/off-campus/home.cfm

Craigslist Atlanta
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/apa/

Atlanta Journal Constitution (main paper)
http://www.ajchomefinder.com/apartments/

Creative Loafing Magazine Classifieds (local alternative paper)
http://www.print2webcorp.com/marketplace/atlanta/creativeloafing/classifieds.aspx
Emory '10

UcsbEng

• View Profile
Re: Emory Class of 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 06:40:44 PM »
tag

Roses Ruby

• where i wish i was right now...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 07:02:46 PM »
So where is everyone living? I visted Post Briarcliff while in Atlanta for ASW and the apartments seemed really nice and cheap considering their size (though I come from NY so my perception maybe skewed). Would familiar with Atlanta mind sharing some suggestions on places to check out and how much is too much to pay for a one bedroom apartment within 5 miles of Emory?
"We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same."
~Carlos Castaneda

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 07:22:10 PM »
tag...

Roses, I think you will find the size to rent ratio to be a lot better in Atlanta than in NY, or most big cities for that matter. Atlanta seems cheap to me and I live in FL. Emory's off campus housing link on their FAQ page (sorry to lazy to get the link) actually has a lot of options on it that are pretty cheap.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 07:33:59 PM »
Tag... I'm still deciding...
VIP.

Emory 0L

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 07:44:14 PM »
Post Briarcliff if I go. Still not totally sure...  :-\

The on campus housing is way too expensive (I don't want a roommate) and is being torn down (or otherwise being made unable to grad students) in May 08.
LSN: slutface

withasigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 08:32:59 PM »
I've added a few helpful links to the top post, including that Emory Housing Finder link.  If anyone finds anything useful, I'll add it to the list.

I'm also considering Post Briarcliff and I have a few thoughts,

1. The price for their 1 bedroom apartments is certainly on the high end for their area ($800-$1000).  The rent and utilities will come close to breaking Emory's alloted living expenses budget.  Given the high cost, I'm considering opting for a two bedroom if I can find a decent roommate.  By my calculations, taking on a roommate at Post would reduce costs by about $3600 per year, which would knock about $10,000 off the full three years of school (or about $150-$200 off the monthly loan payment).  If anyone else needs a roommate at Post Briarcliff, or somewhere else in the area, feel free to PM me and we can discuss this further (I'm a guy if that matters to you). 

2. It is easy to rent from Post.  I spoke to one of their leasing officers on Saturday (Marie, I think) and she was incredibly nice and helpful.  They require a very small deposit for Emory students.

3. After you send in the deposit and application, they will constantly update you over the summer as apartments become avaliable.  For example, I sent in an application for a one bedroom, with a few preferences specified.  As people decide not to renew their leases, one of the people at Post will contact me and let me know what my choices are.  I can take what they offer or reject it and wait for something better.  They'll email pictures of the apartment in question if you can't get down there to take a look in person. 

4. I find that it would be useful in law school to have as little outside hassles as possible.  For this reason it sounds comforting to me to have a sound living situation that causes me no trouble, and adds no extra distractions to my life. 

5. Post Briarcliff doesn't rent to undergrads.

6. They do criminal background checks on all their tenants.

All this said, I'd still consider another apartment complex, or house, if was similarily hassle free.
Emory '10

Emory 0L

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 09:02:28 PM »
I just posted this on the facebook group wall, but:

I have a friend who's an Emory 1L, just talked to him, and he's going to live in Sloan Square next year. Right across the street from Post, and with w/d in the apt. Similar prices. Maybe I'll do that instead.

The w/d thing is huge for me. I loathe hauling my laundry in and out of my house.
LSN: slutface

withasigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 09:09:22 PM »
The w/d thing is huge for me. I loathe hauling my laundry in and out of my house.

Post has w/d hookups in each room.  Last I checked, those things run about $200 each, used.
Emory '10

UcsbEng

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 10:14:32 PM »
w/d thing is huge to me too.  Most places seem to have it though.  Some of them let you rent the washer/dryer for a little more per month, 20-30$ per month.

Anyone have any information about the Clifton apartments?  They're a little closer than post and seem to be maybe a little cheaper too.  Although it's pretty tough to tell, because they just give a range on rent.com

Also, anyone know a good place near Virginia Highlands?  I heard that's a really interesting place to live, not far from school but would have to drive /shrugs.