Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wisconsin ASW... who's going?  (Read 3190 times)

Vietnow

• View Profile
Wisconsin ASW... who's going?
« on: April 10, 2007, 06:06:44 PM »
Just wondering who is planning on attending the UW-Madison ASW this upcoming weekend. I'm an undergrad at UW right now so if anyone has any questions, concerns, etc., I'd be more than happy to help. I'm still deciding between UW and Minnesota, and I'm excited to get a chance to meet some potential classmates this weekend. Everyone who is coming should be excited about coming to Madison, it's an awesome town... even though it's going to be snowing tonight and tomorrow...  :'(

phil_connors

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wisconsin ASW... who's going?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 06:39:29 PM »
which way are you leaning, I'm deciding between the two also, and i think i'm gonna go with minnesota, higher ranking, plus i need a change of scenery

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 06:46:11 PM »
I went to UW's admitted students weekend, but was unable to go to UMN's.  Honestly though, I'd still go with UMN.  If you're a Wisconsin resident, you'll get reciprocity at UMN (~20k/year tuition) and the school really does seem to be better. 

I love UW, and for many years it was my top choice for law school, but I think there are many other schools which will give you a great education and better opportunities.  Given the choice between Madison and a school of similar rank, I'd pick UW in a heartbeat, but I don't think that UMN and Madison are really on par with each other.

All this can probably be discounted if you're planning to practice in WI, though, in which case you should take the lower tuition and enjoy yourself in Madison.

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 07:20:59 PM »
well it would be nice for them to send me a decision.  :-\

i'll be in chicago next weekend and should i get in by then, a friend who is a 1L will show me around Madison.  but we'll see.  im not too hopeful of hearing back in the next week.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

Vietnow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 07:43:52 PM »
Right now I'm pretty much 50/50. I like the setting in Minnesota because it's quite a bit different than Madison... but it's still hard to say that Minneapolis is a better place to live than Madison. It's kind of hard to discount the rankings difference (although I think that minor differences do get magnified, esp. on LSD) but almost everyone that I have spoken with in both the Chicago and Milwaukee legal markets (where I would want to practice) has said that it's basically a wash between the two schools. Do well at either and you'll have plenty of opportunities. I think UMN has more national reach, but that really isn't a priority for me right now. I'm still waiting to see how some things play out in my personal life, ie I might have a good reason to stay in Madison. So for right now I'm putting off my decision as long as possible.

And donvito... don't worry that they haven't gotten back to you yet. The administration here at UW is notorious for dragging their feet on everything. I thought I would have almost been an auto-admit (in state, above median GPA, above 75th percentile LSAT) and I didn't hear back from them until about two weeks ago. Hopefully you'll have some good news soon!

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 09:09:16 PM »
dude if you are seriously considering practicing in Milwaukee I would stay in Madison, especially when you consider the in-state tuition, the diploma priviledge, a move, higher tuition, and the ongoing controversy surrounding reciprocity (the MN legislature is pretty upset with WI right now eventhough WI reimburses MN for the difference in tuition-it never gets to the UMN).  congratultions on both acceptances though, if you do choose UW I'll see you there.

phil_connors

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
yup that diploma priv is great!!!  I mean my heart says bucky, and the football program and basketball program are really rolling, and I hate the gophers (not that i'm threatened by them - they suck, even tubby), but their law school is so much better, wisconsin just seems juvenile, did you guys read about the 1L class where a prof made sarcastic comments about hmong people, and the crazy response it got.  It just strikes me as a weaker law school with weaker students, not that i'm a genius or anything, but it's kind of disgusting.
Does anyone know anything about the umn campus?  I haven't visited and was kind of antsy to know what it's like. 
I've heard it's nice so...

LatherRinseRepeat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 10:02:46 PM »
hey kids....i'm flying up to madison this weekend for the admitted students weekend.  i've never been to the midwest before, so this will definitely be an experience!!!

do i bring my ski jacket or what?
I respectfully disagree!!

knicksfan0323

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 10:44:18 PM »
hey kids....i'm flying up to madison this weekend for the admitted students weekend.  i've never been to the midwest before, so this will definitely be an experience!!!

do i bring my ski jacket or what?

Its going to snow 8-10 inches tonight...Highly unusual for this time of the year and frankly really depressing.

I will be at the LEO banquet on Saturday, anyone going?

LatherRinseRepeat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 11:21:16 PM »
where are you all you guys staying??  i got my flight arranged, but haven't gotten a room yet.  i'm also gonna stay till sunday to check out the city more. 
I respectfully disagree!!