Law School Discussion

Wisconsin ASW... who's going?

Re: Wisconsin ASW... who's going?
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 10:46:10 PM »
Hopefully it's not going to snow much tonight, looks like just rain for now. But I'd still bring a jacket to keep warm. Personally having lived primarily in Wisconsin or another cold climate, a little rain and snow isn't too bad. I saw some other LSD posts about people visiting in February when it was -6 degrees with a God awful wild chill. Madison does actually have awesome weather in the summer, especially late summer and early fall, so don't let this weather discourage you.

It's hard to leave a place like Madison though, especially because I think that I want to stay in Wisconsin. The in-state tuition and the diploma privilege are nice perks. And UW places pretty well in the Chicago market, biglaw isn't out of the question if you do well at UW. Granted most firms will recruit a little deeper into the class at UMN but both have successful graduates throughout the Midwest. I feel that UW and UMN both have good reps around the Midwest, probably pretty equal in a large market like Chicago. But all that being said... I still kinda feel like UMN is just a little more on the top of their game.

But seriously, the ASW should be pretty fun. The venue is pretty nice, I've been to events there before. The hotel that the banquet is held in is actually pretty nice (not sure about prices) but there are plenty of hotels within 10 minutes walking distance of the law school and dinner venue. Anyone else hoping for open bar??

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 08:49:39 AM »
Hopefully it's not going to snow much tonight, looks like just rain for now. But I'd still bring a jacket to keep warm. Personally having lived primarily in Wisconsin or another cold climate, a little rain and snow isn't too bad. I saw some other LSD posts about people visiting in February when it was -6 degrees with a God awful wild chill. Madison does actually have awesome weather in the summer, especially late summer and early fall, so don't let this weather discourage you.

It's hard to leave a place like Madison though, especially because I think that I want to stay in Wisconsin. The in-state tuition and the diploma privilege are nice perks. And UW places pretty well in the Chicago market, biglaw isn't out of the question if you do well at UW. Granted most firms will recruit a little deeper into the class at UMN but both have successful graduates throughout the Midwest. I feel that UW and UMN both have good reps around the Midwest, probably pretty equal in a large market like Chicago. But all that being said... I still kinda feel like UMN is just a little more on the top of their game.

But seriously, the ASW should be pretty fun. The venue is pretty nice, I've been to events there before. The hotel that the banquet is held in is actually pretty nice (not sure about prices) but there are plenty of hotels within 10 minutes walking distance of the law school and dinner venue. Anyone else hoping for open bar??

I got a hotel at the Madison Concourse Hotel (where the LEO Banquet is being held) on Priceline for $50/night...it retails for $130+...Only thing that sucks is that they don't have any rooms available Friday night so we are staying at the Clarion near the Alliant Energy Center  >:(

And YES, I am definetely hoping for open bar!  Looking forward to meeting you all :D

Oh and another thing, I didn't apply to UMN so I can't comment but I have been plesantly suprised with the staff at UW. The Dean of Admissions is a little odd but everyone else has been very helpful...I went to ASW last month (as you can probably tell I'm from the area) and was able to connect with a lot of the professors. The Fellow I sat next to during dinner even offered to put me in contact with some of his connections in Chicago for summer positions! I am still waiting for decisions from UPenn, Vandy, UCLA (all of which I would take in a heartbeat over Madison) but have been generally very satisfied with UW.

Some concerns I have about Madison are the portability of the degree (I *must* get out of Wisconsin & preferably the Midwest for my sanity after LS) & the fact that their focus seems to be in Public Interest Law, which is not the path I want to take.

vercingetorix

• Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 11:23:49 AM »
yup that diploma priv is great!!!  I mean my heart says bucky, and the football program and basketball program are really rolling, and I hate the gophers (not that i'm threatened by them - they suck, even tubby), but their law school is so much better, wisconsin just seems juvenile, did you guys read about the 1L class where a prof made sarcastic comments about hmong people, and the crazy response it got.  It just strikes me as a weaker law school with weaker students, not that i'm a genius or anything, but it's kind of disgusting.
Does anyone know anything about the umn campus?  I haven't visited and was kind of antsy to know what it's like. 
I've heard it's nice so...

dude saying that UMN is WAY better seems like an overstatement.  can you objectively support that claim?(stats, job placement, student/faculty quality etc)...believe me, if you look me up i'm a staunch defender of the UMN on this website but I don't think you have a leg to stand on here.  UMN is ranked higher but it is hardly what you would call a national law program.  both UW and UMN (along with Iowa and Indiana) place quite well in the midwest.  i think you're comparing apples to apples here.

I got a hotel at the Madison Concourse Hotel (where the LEO Banquet is being held) on Priceline for $50/night...it retails for $130+...Only thing that sucks is that they don't have any rooms available Friday night so we are staying at the Clarion near the Alliant Energy Center  >:(

And YES, I am definetely hoping for open bar!  Looking forward to meeting you all :D

Oh and another thing, I didn't apply to UMN so I can't comment but I have been plesantly suprised with the staff at UW. The Dean of Admissions is a little odd but everyone else has been very helpful...I went to ASW last month (as you can probably tell I'm from the area) and was able to connect with a lot of the professors. The Fellow I sat next to during dinner even offered to put me in contact with some of his connections in Chicago for summer positions! I am still waiting for decisions from UPenn, Vandy, UCLA (all of which I would take in a heartbeat over Madison) but have been generally very satisfied with UW.

Some concerns I have about Madison are the portability of the degree (I *must* get out of Wisconsin & preferably the Midwest for my sanity after LS) & the fact that their focus seems to be in Public Interest Law, which is not the path I want to take.

let's see...you don't want to practice in WI or in the midwest for that metter and you have no interest in public interest law? wow! sounds like UW is a perfect match for you.

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 11:40:13 AM »
Just a little heads to all of these folks heading into Madison for the weekend.  I currently live in Madison and it has been snowing pretty hard all day today with heavy winds and low visibility.  It is also supposed to snow tomorrow so dont be surprised if there are 8-12 inches of snow on the ground when you get here.  Enjoy the "spring" season in Madison.

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 12:07:38 PM »
I think that it's interesting that many people here on LSD focus on Wisconsin's "interest in public interest law". I think that this might be a little misleading, I know lots of current and former law students that didn't do much in terms of public interest work. The administration definitely tries to play up their programs that focus on that kind of work, but I think most students focus on more conventional pursuits.

And as far as the comments about UW seeming more juvenile... I think that's a pretty bold statement to make. Especially if you are comparing UW to UMN and you haven't even been to UMN or met any of the students there etc. The incident that you spoke of with the professor and his remarks in class is actually pretty telling about the culture here at UW. There is definitely a small, yet vocal, group of liberal students that tend to make as much noise as possible. I feel like most students (esp in undergrad, and from what I've gathered in the law school as well) were much less worked up about the whole situation. And there most definitely is a strong, if somewhat less vocal, conservative segment of the student population.

But I digress. I'm going to be attending the ASW on Friday night and Saturday morning and the LEO banquet Saturday night too. I'm interested to see where the "after party" is going to be... plenty of good options around in Madison to be sure. Interesting fact: Madison has some of the most bars per capita in the country, makes Madison a pretty fun place...

go.ph.

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 02:19:52 PM »
Madison is a great place to go to school...I absolutley loved my undergrad years there, but I'll most likely be headed to UMN next year.  I feel like it has a stronger program and is worth the extra $, and 7 years in Madison feels like a bit much...I think I'd prefer to be in a larger city for awhile.  I also have a few relatives that are graduates of UW law, and they all tell me to go to UMinn for various reasons.  That said, I like Madison enough that I'd pick it in a heartbeat over many similarly ranked schools...UIUC, Iowa, IUB, etc.  Just not over UMN.

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 02:35:28 PM »
I think that it's interesting that many people here on LSD focus on Wisconsin's "interest in public interest law". I think that this might be a little misleading, I know lots of current and former law students that didn't do much in terms of public interest work. The administration definitely tries to play up their programs that focus on that kind of work, but I think most students focus on more conventional pursuits.

And as far as the comments about UW seeming more juvenile... I think that's a pretty bold statement to make. Especially if you are comparing UW to UMN and you haven't even been to UMN or met any of the students there etc. The incident that you spoke of with the professor and his remarks in class is actually pretty telling about the culture here at UW. There is definitely a small, yet vocal, group of liberal students that tend to make as much noise as possible. I feel like most students (esp in undergrad, and from what I've gathered in the law school as well) were much less worked up about the whole situation. And there most definitely is a strong, if somewhat less vocal, conservative segment of the student population.

But I digress. I'm going to be attending the ASW on Friday night and Saturday morning and the LEO banquet Saturday night too. I'm interested to see where the "after party" is going to be... plenty of good options around in Madison to be sure. Interesting fact: Madison has some of the most bars per capita in the country, makes Madison a pretty fun place...

yup that diploma priv is great!!!  I mean my heart says bucky, and the football program and basketball program are really rolling, and I hate the gophers (not that i'm threatened by them - they suck, even tubby), but their law school is so much better, wisconsin just seems juvenile, did you guys read about the 1L class where a prof made sarcastic comments about hmong people, and the crazy response it got.  It just strikes me as a weaker law school with weaker students, not that i'm a genius or anything, but it's kind of disgusting.
Does anyone know anything about the umn campus?  I haven't visited and was kind of antsy to know what it's like. 
I've heard it's nice so...

dude saying that UMN is WAY better seems like an overstatement.  can you objectively support that claim?(stats, job placement, student/faculty quality etc)...believe me, if you look me up i'm a staunch defender of the UMN on this website but I don't think you have a leg to stand on here.  UMN is ranked higher but it is hardly what you would call a national law program.  both UW and UMN (along with Iowa and Indiana) place quite well in the midwest.  i think you're comparing apples to apples here.

let's see...you don't want to practice in WI or in the midwest for that metter and you have no interest in public interest law? wow! sounds like UW is a perfect match for you.

sorry, got no stats, just going on the us news and reports rankings, which are probably way off anyway, sorry, i just got sick of madison

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 03:42:58 PM »
Madison is a great place to go to school...I absolutley loved my undergrad years there, but I'll most likely be headed to UMN next year.  I feel like it has a stronger program and is worth the extra $, and 7 years in Madison feels like a bit much...I think I'd prefer to be in a larger city for awhile.  I also have a few relatives that are graduates of UW law, and they all tell me to go to UMinn for various reasons.  That said, I like Madison enough that I'd pick it in a heartbeat over many similarly ranked schools...UIUC, Iowa, IUB, etc.  Just not over UMN.

I'm interested to know what you have been told by your relatives? I've heard from grads of both UW and UMN that it really doesn't matter all that much which one you graduate from. I feel like UMN grads have an advantage in the Twin Cities and UW grads have an advantage in Milwaukee, but other than that the two seem relatively equal. I definitely understand your reasoning that 7 years is a long time to stay in Madison... but I've got personal ties to the area that are important to me. Nice thing that UW doesn't require a seat deposit though... lets me put my decision off for at least a few more weeks.

vercingetorix

• Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 04:41:26 PM »
yeah and i know when i'm making an important life decision, i always turn to anecdotal evidence. ;)

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 07:04:55 PM »
yeah and i know when i'm making an important life decision, i always turn to anecdotal evidence. ;)

You're are sarcastic one arent you?  ;D

Not trying to ruffle feathers here but I've stopped listening to EVERYONES advice on where to go law school - Everyone has an opinion and its usually baseless. My dad told me that "Id be crazy not to pick Marquette because its such an amazing school because the neighbors kid goes there and has a Mercedes now"