Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USC v. UT  (Read 4758 times)

redacted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
USC v. UT
« on: April 10, 2007, 05:09:23 PM »
Hey-

Instead of listing off all my personal stuff, I was wondering what ya'll think should be the largest factors in deciding between USC and UT?  What are some reasons why UT/USC is the clear choice?  I'm curious what I should be thinking about before I really get in to making this tough decision.

After a day or two, I'll update this with some more personal information to keep the conversation going.

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

-R

----

UPDATE

Here's some more information, any more advice would really be appreciated.

I'm from the midwest but go to school at a highly regarded college out east.  I have some family in Southern California but no real connection to Austin/Texas.  I'm really not sure what I what I want to be doing or where I want to be doing it after law school.  Part of me is really intrigued by the "big law" idea, but another part of me thinks all the bull isn't worth the money.  Regardless, I'll probably do something in the private sector -- maybe something transactional or more financial.  As far as cities, I'm not a huge NYC guy and I have my reservations about living in LA (though I think going to school there could be fantastic).  My favorite two cities are probably Chicago and DC.  I think the most important thing to me is job prospects around the middle of the class.  I'm fairly confident that wherever I go I'll be competitive enough to be about the 40th percentile of the class.  At the same time, I'm no gunner and it is unlikely I'll be pulling all A's.  As far as scholarship/financial aid is concerned... both places are going to be crazy expensive, but I hope to receive some money from both.  But thankfully and luckily, this doesn't have to be the deciding factor. 

Anyway... hope that added info helps you guys give me advice (and helps USC and UT ID me (Hi Monica! Julia!  I love your schools, this is tough!)).  Thanks so much in advance, I appreciate the advice already given and anything else ya'll can come up with.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
Re: USC v. UT
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 05:17:26 PM »
1. Money
2. Texas or California
3. Austin or Los Angeles (different than just Texas vs. California)
4. Large or Big

Lawbster

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 09:02:39 PM »
at the risk of looking dumb and not getting into USC...

I think its a really tough call, personally, Im in California, so USC has an edge because I want to practice here. Something that I think is tricky for anyone paying close to the full price tag on both schools is the 7 grand or more that USC costs for tuition and the 10 grand a year extra cost of living (supposedly). But I read that USC has a much higher average grant per student, so maybe it evens out? Debt after graduation stats dont tell you a damn thing about UT because they lump in-state and out of staters.

Are you out of state? If not, I'd think automatically, UT. Or whatever your scholarship dictates. I believe you have similar prospects graduating from either school.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 09:31:07 PM »
at the risk of looking dumb and not getting into USC...

I think its a really tough call, personally, Im in California, so USC has an edge because I want to practice here. Something that I think is tricky for anyone paying close to the full price tag on both schools is the 7 grand or more that USC costs for tuition and the 10 grand a year extra cost of living (supposedly). But I read that USC has a much higher average grant per student, so maybe it evens out? Debt after graduation stats dont tell you a damn thing about UT because they lump in-state and out of staters.

Are you out of state? If not, I'd think automatically, UT. Or whatever your scholarship dictates. I believe you have similar prospects graduating from either school.

trade acceptances with ya, Lawbster.

Nasche

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-Tar for ASWs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 09:45:11 PM »
One caveat: I've yet to visit USC (I go this Thursday), and while I've hung out in Austin plenty, my visit to UT was brief and consisted mostly of me being lost while trying to hand deliver a LOCI to the admissions office. Also, I'm not entirely sure I've actually been accepted to UT yet.

That being said, here is my current list of pros and cons. Keep in mind a few of these are personal.

USC:
Pros
  • LA would be a new experience and, besides, LA seems like it's awesome.
  • USC has a small campus, great administration.
  • Beaches.
  • I wouldn't mind working in California.
  • USC doesn't seem to place badly in NYC either.
  • I have a good friend out there.
  • Pretty nice scholarship offer.
  • USC has a good pol. theory program.
Cons
  • LA is expensive.
  • I'd have to live far away/commute from campus.
  • Traffic is killer.
  • LA is far away from my family.
  • Cycling in LA is apparently hard to do.

UT:
Pros
  • Austin is a cool city too.
  • My brother lives in Austin, it'd be cool to be around him.
  • Cycling is huge/friendly in Austin.
  • Austin is not as daunting of a city as LA.
  • Huge commute is not necessary.
  • Cheaper to live in Austin than LA.
  • Might be able to switch tuition over to in-state after establishing residency.
Cons
  • UT is a huge school.
  • Most people will, naturally, be there from Texas. I'll be one of the few odd people out.
  • Texas places primarily in-state. Not sure how much of this is self-selection, however.
  • Pretty impersonal administration, due to the size.
  • I've already gotten to know Austin.
  • No scholarship info from UT yet (this could change a lot).
  • Tuition is out-of-state.
Attending: UT.
Accepted: BC, BU ($$), Emory ($$$), Fordham ($), U. Iowa, Notre Dame ($$), USC ($$), UT, Tulane ($$$$)
Waitlisted: Columbia, Duke, Michigan, UCLA

redacted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 12:13:19 AM »
Wow... great stuff.  Check out the added info at top.

UT1L09

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 12:28:53 AM »
If you have any specific questions about UT, you can feel free to send me a message.... I do not have enough good stuff to say about it -- I'm a 1L and my experience here has been AMAZING in every way.

Funky Cold Hrdina

• Sr. Citizen
  • Relative Anonymity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 12:31:32 AM »
... you're it.

Nasche

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-Tar for ASWs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 12:53:08 AM »
If you have any specific questions about UT, you can feel free to send me a message.... I do not have enough good stuff to say about it -- I'm a 1L and my experience here has been AMAZING in every way.

Do you, or anyone else, know what the deal is with UT's scholarship matching thing?

... you're it.

I think that "t" was supposed to be an "n", which keeps your stock as one of my favorite people of the week rising. Thanks for the vote of confidence; to show that I share it with you, I'm officially adding UT to my list of accepted schools.  :)
Attending: UT.
Accepted: BC, BU ($$), Emory ($$$), Fordham ($), U. Iowa, Notre Dame ($$), USC ($$), UT, Tulane ($$$$)
Waitlisted: Columbia, Duke, Michigan, UCLA

Funky Cold Hrdina

• Sr. Citizen
  • Relative Anonymity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 12:56:07 AM »

Do you, or anyone else, know what the deal is with UT's scholarship matching thing?

... you're it.

I think that "t" was supposed to be an "n", which keeps your stock as one of my favorite people of the week rising. Thanks for the vote of confidence; to show that I share it with you, I'm officially adding UT to my list of accepted schools.  :)

Actually it was because I think "tag" is played out and just wanted to keep track of the LA/Austin debate.

Seriously though, you're in at UT. Signed, sealed, delivered.  :-*