« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2007, 01:34:35 PM »
for whatever it's worth:

I) i turned down cornell for GW
    a) weather was a huge consideration
    b) location was an even bigger one
    c) and the women ... in ithaca... yeah

II) is GW as good as cornell?
    a) no, one is 10 and hte other is 22
    b) cornell is all over GW in terms of lay prestige - no one on the west coast has even heard of GW
        i) my friends keep saying GT no matter how many times i tell them GW - is this annoying? yes
        ii) note: talking about LAY prestige

III) do you regret the decision?
    a) no - DC is great; ithaca is gorges
    b) the job opportunities for 2L summer have been strong
        i) what does this mean? this means that i interviewed with firms such as Jones Day, Kirkland Ellis, Sonnenschein, Morgan Lewis, Wilmer Hale, Wilson Sonsini, Bingham McCutchen etc.
             a) that's cool but did you get an offer? Yes, to multiple
             b) uh huh, and where are you working? at a big firm in nyc making over 3g a week this summer
             c) yeah, but what about last summer? clerked for a judge
                  1. and was that fun? yes, very
        ii) wow, to have such amazing opportunities out of GW law, your grades must be stellar right?  they're ok, not great - u know, not bad
             a) well, uh, but doesn't the lay prestige thing bother you? nah, i'm working at an elite firm this summer - and oh, that 3g a week will be an anodyne of sorts, too

IV. what if i want to get into academics? go to cornell

V. but what about all of these mean people on LSD who are saying that GW is a worhtless law school? they're speaking from a lay person's perspective
    a) do you have any advice? weather / locale aside and all else being equal: cornell. 90K? GW

VI. Do you have an regrets?
    a) regarding my decision to turn down cornell? no
    b) anything else? yes, turning down that full ride to W&L ;)

SugarJ

• View Profile
Re: GW vs Cornell
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2007, 01:44:58 PM »
for whatever it's worth:

Hey now. Overgeneralization... there are always exceptions... :-* :D

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2007, 02:57:34 PM »
i got a lot of $$ and a stipend to visit at both and felt obliged to visit. i live in dc and know gtown pretty well, already. the bay area was too pricey to visit, but i will do so soon. sorry you are all insecure about cornell. ask any recruiting people at big firms about what they think.

wait what? i spoke to lynell or however you spell her name in the admissions office before the visiting day and she specifically said emory does not give stipends for visits...

how did you get yours?

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2007, 03:03:44 PM »
i got a lot of $$ and a stipend to visit at both and felt obliged to visit. i live in dc and know gtown pretty well, already. the bay area was too pricey to visit, but i will do so soon. sorry you are all insecure about cornell. ask any recruiting people at big firms about what they think.

wait what? i spoke to lynell or however you spell her name in the admissions office before the visiting day and she specifically said emory does not give stipends for visits...

how did you get yours?

he's lying. he just got called out on being uninformed, and decided to increase his credibility by saying that he got into Boalt and GULC. When asked why he would visit WUSL and Emory then, he had to come up with a plausibile reason. He chose to lie about a travel stipend.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2007, 03:05:27 PM »
for whatever it's worth:

Hey now. Overgeneralization... there are always exceptions... :-* :D

townies? not so good

cornell undergrads?  (commence Borat voice) very nice

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2007, 03:07:02 PM »

also, this is not much of a consideration.  Either way you'll probably want another degree after the JD if you want academia.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2007, 05:01:54 PM »

also, this is not much of a consideration.  Either way you'll probably want another degree after the JD if you want academia.

This is incorrect (shows % with advanced degrees.) It also doesn't mean that the JD doesn't matter, because it surely does.

http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2006job_teaching.shtml

Still, though, your chances of academia (at least in "decent" schools) out of Cornell are not terrific, so this shouldn't be a deciding factor.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2007, 05:09:34 PM »

This is incorrect (shows % with advanced degrees.) It also doesn't mean that the JD doesn't matter, because it surely does.

Still, though, your chances of academia (at least in "decent" schools) out of Cornell are not terrific, so this shouldn't be a deciding factor.

uh huh ... so first you say I'm wrong but then you repeat what I said.  "This shouldn't be a factor" ... isn't that what I said?  What I meant by my post is that academia is an uphill battle from either GW or Cornell .. and is evidenced by the 2 hires shown in that study who came from cornell.  You might have a slightly easier time, but just barely ... but either schools JD is respected enough to land you an academia job if you have another graduate degree.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2007, 05:17:48 PM »

uh huh ... so first you say I'm wrong but then you repeat what I said.  "This shouldn't be a factor" ... isn't that what I said?  What I meant by my post is that academia is an uphill battle from either GW or Cornell .. and is evidenced by the 2 hires shown in that study who came from cornell.  You might have a slightly easier time, but just barely ... but either schools JD is respected enough to land you an academia job if you have another graduate degree.

You said it's not much of a consideration. I said it shouldn't be a deciding factor. I didn't say you shouldn't consider it. Besides, that's not what I was disagreeing with you on, it was the part about wanting another degree after JD if you want academia.

« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2007, 05:27:31 PM »
Considering everything, I have decided to attend Cornell. The  extra opportunities are too great to pass up.