Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is strategy in the face of this kind of question?  (Read 1912 times)

NamKim

• View Profile
What is strategy in the face of this kind of question?
« on: September 15, 2004, 05:38:52 PM »
Hopefully, I will get some help from you guys.

Could you let me know what kind of approach can be used for this kind of question?

For example,

Nutritionist:  Many people claim that simple carbohydrates are a reasonable calpric replacement for the fatty foods forbidden to those on low-fat diets.  This is now in doubt.  New studies show that, for many people, a high intake of simple carbohydrates stimulates an overproduction of insulin, a hormone that is involved in processing sugars and starches to create energy when the body requires energy, or, when energy is not required, to store the resulting by-products as fat.

Which one of the following is most strongly supported by the nutrionist's statements?

In PR, they says this is a "reasoning" question. Reasoning questions, at least in PR workbook, includes Must-Be-True question also (PR doesn't use this but you guys taking PowerScore usually use).  Anyway,  I think the approach to this kind question should be a littl different from just Must-Be-True question. 

So my bottomline is that I think I should try to find an answer which looks like a conclusion, i.e., main point.  Am I on right track?

If you have any advice for me, please .....

Thanks. 

Matthew_24_24

Re: What is strategy in the face of this kind of question?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 06:16:21 PM »
It is "Must be True", not Main point. 

Matt

NamKim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 06:42:22 PM »
Thanks, Matt. 

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 08:07:03 PM »
run in terror
3.8/155

AaronJ

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 01:43:16 AM »
So my bottomline is that I think I should try to find an answer which looks like a conclusion, i.e., main point.  Am I on right track?

Identifying the conclusion is almost invariably the first thing you should try to do, so in that respect you are on the right track.  The next and most important step in a "must be true" is identifying what kind of support is given for the conlustion. 

Here you know that eating simple carbs has been shown to increase insulin levels which in turn tends to be stored as fat if not used for energy.  So given that the answer choice probably looks something like: replacing calories for carbs will not necessarily result in fat loss, or something to that effect.  That is what I would go looking for.

By the way, what are the answer choices?