Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I need some serious advise  (Read 867 times)

tthigpen82

• View Profile
    • Email
I need some serious advise
« on: April 10, 2007, 08:47:19 AM »
I am working on my Bachelors degree (graduate in December). I am also studying for the Sept. 07 LSAT. Here's the kicker, I am taking advanced English writing and World Literature Masterpieces and this leaves me very little time due to writing so many essays and reading so many stories. In addition to taking these courses and studying for LSAT (and working a full time job), it is required that I sit to take (not pass) the NALA (National Association of Legal Assistants) exam before I can register for graduation.

Should I actually take time away from LSAT studying in order to try and pass a test that really isn't going to do me any good in the long run? I thought it would look good on my Resume and Personal Statement for law school.

What would you do?

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: I need some serious advise
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 08:57:28 AM »
Will you be taking classes/ studying for that test over the summer?
Personally I don't think you necessarily need to be studying for the LSAT that heavily right now ... wait till the semester ends, then start a rigorous study schedule in May and you'll have a solid 4 months.  That should be just fine.  good luck.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 08:58:46 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. Is your question whether or not you should put any effort into this other test?

I'd say that's up to you to decide how you want to manage things. I have no idea what this other test is and what it might or might not give you. Will it help you as a lawyer/law student? I don't know, but unless it comes with actual practical or real-world experience for working in a law firm, I'm doubtful. (You never say if the work you're doing is related or not.)

Have you considered putting off the LSAT until next year some time, and taking a year off before going to law school? If you have too much to do, that might be an option.

Then again, when you get to law school, you'll find that the reading and writing just keeps piling up. Perhaps now is the time to learn to manage it all.

tthigpen82

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 09:14:19 AM »
Ok, to clear things up a bit.
I work full time as a paralegal in a workers' comp defense law firm.
I have a full college course load until December.
I am studying for the LSAT in my "spare time".
Taking (not passing)the NALA exam is a requirement for my degree. (NALA is a paralegal's Bar exam, so to speak).
I will never have reduced work schedule or college schedule, so should I reduce my LSAT study time (which is approx. 1-2 hours a day) in order to take an exam that isn't going to do me any good in the long run?

I hope this clears things up a bit, but I think I may have found the answer to my own question...If the test isn't going to do me any good and the law school doesn't even care about it, why spend alot of time studying for it.

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 09:37:05 AM »
But you aren't taking the LSAT until September?  That gives you plenty of time, even if you can only devote a few hours a week.

Plus, if, as you say, you don't need to pass this other test, and the fact that you didn't pass it (if you don't) won't end up on a transcript or anything...I guess it doesn't matter.

I think you'll be the only person who will be able to answer this because you will be the best gague of how much LSAT work you need to do.  When is this other test?  If it's well before September (2 or 3 months or more), I'd say you can devote some of your LSAT time to it, because as someone said above...September is a long ways off.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 10:19:58 AM »
Step 1: Learn how to spell "advice"
Air Force JAG Corps

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 10:45:11 AM »
If you're taking the September test, I think 2-3 hours a week on LSAT prep should do you just fine.  It's only April.  That's what weekends are for.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 02:30:48 PM »

I thought that & had to come in to see if anyone said it.  Ouch. :D

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 02:31:51 PM »

CoxlessPair should be 2 words.  ;)
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 02:41:49 PM »

CoxlessPair should be 2 words.  ;)

Hoisted on my own petard. Damn.
Air Force JAG Corps