Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Regent University Law is the most powereful Law School in America???  (Read 7515 times)

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Regent University Law is the most powereful Law School in America???
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 04:48:50 PM »
Here's some homework for the class: look up the US Attorney for your district and report back what school they went to.

Mine: Harvard.

Catholic

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 04:52:41 PM »
They had a JD and presumably passed the bar... they had ALL of the same qualifications as a T-14 grad.

Having a JD =/= same qualifications

For a partner at a big law firm, the T14/TTT distinction is easy to make. For the US government, it is a lot harder to do that. It's like the US Government telling GM that they'll no longer buy Chevy's because they are crap... You can't do that... It's an American company that sells cars -- you have to take it at face value. ABA says Regent is a real law school, therefore the government must treat it as every bit as much of a real law school as Georgetown.

::opens own law school::
::takes bush's job::

::attends::
::passes mom on second try::
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

rojo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 05:04:16 PM »
From http://www.slate.com/id/2163601/nav/tap2/:

I saw that article the other day.  I totally wanted to go to that law school back in 1988 (now you have an idea of how truly screwed up I am).
I'm often wrong

rojo - seriously, if and when I have boyfriend problems, I'm coming to you.

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 06:34:44 PM »
I've been really following this story in the liberal blogosphere, and I'm amazed that a crappy school like Regent Law gets so many people placed in the upper echelons of the government.  Even in this administration.

I'm also a little disappointed that no one has yet to criticize Regent grads' intelligence since they went to one of the crappiest schools in the country.  It's probably the equivalent of going to the Carribean for Med School.  We realize that T14 kids were being passed up for government jobs, so Regent students could get career positions in the Justice Department they are no where close to qualified for, right?

Bush really makes me mad, but that House of Cards is really wobbling right now.

They had a JD and presumably passed the bar... they had ALL of the same qualifications as a T-14 grad.

Am I less intelligent than Data because he is going to Yale and I'll be at #22?

No, but there's a big difference between even a T3 school and Regent.  They offer tons of classes in Biblical Law and have vastly under qualified professors for almost any ABA school.  In addition, they admit ANYONE, presumably teach to the bar exam, and try to indoctrinate their students into a lockstep worldview instead of encouraging the free flow of ideas.

I do not try to discriminate based on where one goes to school because I'm not going to a T1 myself, but come on, there is a big difference between a Regent grad and a Harvard grad.  The bar exam argument is worthless, crappy schools like Regent teach to the bar exam for 3 years, while elite schools don't touch on many bar topics at all if one does not choose to take certain classes.  I don't think one's ability to take a bar prep course means they are a qualified lawyer.

Here's some homework for the class: look up the US Attorney for your district and report back what school they went to.

Mine: Marquette (just had a political conviction dismissed FROM THE BENCH of the appeals court and is now at the center of the Attorneygate scandal)

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 07:30:57 PM »

Seton Hall...

Relevance?
VIP.

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 07:35:48 PM »
No idea about the relevance.  It shows that one can attain a high position without going to a T14, but it probably shows a strong bias against bottom rung T4's like Regent, Cooley, and Roger Williams as well.

Flash45

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 07:42:57 PM »
my US Attorney: BC

i am from NH
Franklin Pierce 2010

Elephant Lee

• Sr. Citizen
  • Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 08:01:09 PM »

Seton Hall...

Relevance?
I was curious. I figured it would be slanted towards tier 1 schools or whatever, but it's not clear that that's true.
This was my country
This frightful and this angry land

"I guess she was a hooker, that makes sense, those shorts didn't really look all that comfortable." -Dash

Boyce Baylor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 11:02:57 PM »
Pat Robertson gives Oral Roberts to Jerry Fallwell.

rojo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 11:06:14 PM »
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- The title of the course was Constitutional Law, but the subject was sin. Before any casebooks were opened, a student led his classmates in a 10-minute devotional talk, completed with "amens," about the need to preserve their Christian values.

Thats from the globe-----  ridicuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulous

::) It's not that bad.  A lot of time is wasted in class anyways.
I'm often wrong

rojo - seriously, if and when I have boyfriend problems, I'm coming to you.