Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Regent University Law is the most powereful Law School in America???  (Read 7645 times)

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
From http://www.slate.com/id/2163601/nav/tap2/:

"Goodling is only one of 150 graduates of Regent University currently serving in this administration, as Regent's Web site proclaims proudly, a huge number for a 29-year-old school. Regent estimates that "approximately one out of every six Regent alumni is employed in some form of government work." And that's precisely what its founder desired. The school's motto is "Christian Leadership To Change the World," and the world seems to be changing apace. Former Attorney General John Ashcroft teaches at Regent, and graduates have achieved senior positions in the Bush administration. The express goal is not only to tear down the wall between church and state in America (a "lie of the left," according to Robertson) but also to enmesh the two."
VIP.

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Regent University Law is the most powereful Law School in America???
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 04:46:34 AM »
I've been really following this story in the liberal blogosphere, and I'm amazed that a crappy school like Regent Law gets so many people placed in the upper echelons of the government.  Even in this administration.

I'm also a little disappointed that no one has yet to criticize Regent grads' intelligence since they went to one of the crappiest schools in the country.  It's probably the equivalent of going to the Carribean for Med School.  We realize that T14 kids were being passed up for government jobs, so Regent students could get career positions in the Justice Department they are no where close to qualified for, right?

Bush really makes me mad, but that House of Cards is really wobbling right now.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 08:00:31 AM »
I've been really following this story in the liberal blogosphere, and I'm amazed that a crappy school like Regent Law gets so many people placed in the upper echelons of the government.  Even in this administration.

I'm also a little disappointed that no one has yet to criticize Regent grads' intelligence since they went to one of the crappiest schools in the country.  It's probably the equivalent of going to the Carribean for Med School.  We realize that T14 kids were being passed up for government jobs, so Regent students could get career positions in the Justice Department they are no where close to qualified for, right?

Bush really makes me mad, but that House of Cards is really wobbling right now.

They had a JD and presumably passed the bar... they had ALL of the same qualifications as a T-14 grad.

Am I less intelligent than Data because he is going to Yale and I'll be at #22?
VIP.

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 09:36:09 AM »
anyone calling the 1st Amendment a "lie to the left" --especially working in government, can be presumed to have zero intelligence.  I don't care where they went to law school.

LSAT: 158

Attending:  Georgia State

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 12:03:56 PM »
They had a JD and presumably passed the bar... they had ALL of the same qualifications as a T-14 grad.

Having a JD =/= same qualifications

For a partner at a big law firm, the T14/TTT distinction is easy to make. For the US government, it is a lot harder to do that. It's like the US Government telling GM that they'll no longer buy Chevy's because they are crap... You can't do that... It's an American company that sells cars -- you have to take it at face value. ABA says Regent is a real law school, therefore the government must treat it as every bit as much of a real law school as Georgetown.
VIP.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 02:18:03 PM »
pat robertson wear diapers.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 04:22:36 PM »
Do you think Regent REALLY encourages critical thought??

I don't go there, but I assume that to practice law, you'd need to think critically. Now, Regent starts with the biggest jesus-nutters they can find, and molds them into critically-thinking-jesus-lawyers, but I HAVE TO assume that they teach the law in a *similar* fashion to everyone else.

There really isn't any other way to teach common law... is there?
VIP.

Elephant Lee

• Sr. Citizen
  • Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 04:27:53 PM »
For a partner at a big law firm, the T14/TTT distinction is easy to make. For the US government, it is a lot harder to do that. It's like the US Government telling GM that they'll no longer buy Chevy's because they are crap... You can't do that... It's an American company that sells cars -- you have to take it at face value. ABA says Regent is a real law school, therefore the government must treat it as every bit as much of a real law school as Georgetown.

What in the world. This is the first time I've ever seen anyone make that claim. Of course they can evaluate the relative merit of schools (and degrees). Are they obligated to be cheerleaders for all American law schools?
This was my country
This frightful and this angry land

"I guess she was a hooker, that makes sense, those shorts didn't really look all that comfortable." -Dash

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 04:40:32 PM »
I think 0Ls get pissed about this news story because they've bought into the "High LSAT+ High GHP = T14 School = $$$ Salary or Important Governemnt Job" mentality, and now it's like "Wait...I can go to a T4 and still get a sweet government job?? WTF??"

Plus it's not like the Bush Admin is just offering jobs to grads from any old T4. Everyone knows the philosphy of this school, why it was started, and why its grads are in demand.

Elephant Lee

• Sr. Citizen
  • Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 04:44:27 PM »
Here's some homework for the class: look up the US Attorney for your district and report back what school they went to.

Mine: Harvard.
This was my country
This frightful and this angry land

"I guess she was a hooker, that makes sense, those shorts didn't really look all that comfortable." -Dash