Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I write a letter of continued interest?  (Read 313 times)

sk

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not as scary as it looks!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Should I write a letter of continued interest?
« on: April 09, 2007, 09:53:49 PM »
I’m contemplating writing a letter of continued interest to Boalt Hall, my absolute number one choice.  I almost started writing, but then I came across Dean Tom’s interview:

If one ends up on the waitlist, is there anything that you can do to increase the likelihood of admission?

Dean Tom: “No. There’s nothing you can do to improve your chances. And we tell people that when we inform them that they are on the waiting list. The waiting list is ranked by the faculty at the time the decision is made to waitlist them, because we believe the information is fresh in their mind and they’re best able to assign a waitlist ranking at that time.”

So saying that you’re still interested doesn’t matter?

Dean Tom: “Well, that helps us, but it’s not going to improve your chances or position.”

My main reason for wanting to go to Boalt is simply because it’s a great school. They do have several programs I’m especially interested in, but I already discussed those in the admissions essay.  Should I still write the LCI?

Thanks.
"buffoons don't clerk for federal judges!"

--LSN--

Pugnacious

• Sr. Citizen
  • C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
Re: Should I write a letter of continued interest?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 10:56:58 PM »
Hey SK, I am in the same exact situation and I also don't know what to do. Any Boalt people out there wanna give us some advice??

I kind of want to send them something but then I don't want to be penalized for not following their instructions. Argh.
My cycle is officially over. Boalt Law 2010!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pugattack

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »
I really don't think it can hurt in the slightest. He didn't explicitly say "Don't send in a Continuing Letter of Interest." No admissions committee that would previously look favorably upon taking you off the waitlist would then look negatively because you wrote a letter telling them how interested you are. You also never know whether other people on the Admissions Committee feel differently then the Dean, even though he was speaking for everyone. The only negative that can come with this is the waste of ten minutes of your time if it doesn't end up helping.
W&L Class of 2010

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 07:40:55 AM »
I really don't think it can hurt in the slightest. He didn't explicitly say "Don't send in a Continuing Letter of Interest." No admissions committee that would previously look favorably upon taking you off the waitlist would then look negatively because you wrote a letter telling them how interested you are. You also never know whether other people on the Admissions Committee feel differently then the Dean, even though he was speaking for everyone. The only negative that can come with this is the waste of ten minutes of your time if it doesn't end up helping.

Word.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?