Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What should I check ?  (Read 845 times)

Afro European

• View Profile
    • Email
What should I check ?
« on: April 09, 2007, 09:48:28 PM »
Which box should I check: I am northern African (Mauritanian/Algerian/), however I am not white nor middle eastern.  The thing that outrages me is that Northern Africans are considered white?  I feel as if the U.S Govt stripped us away from our identity by saying all northern African are whites which is fact totally inaccurate considering that the majority of northern African are mixed and mullawad, a term widely used back home to describe offspring’s of black slaves & Arab. The term mullato by the way derived from Mullawad (Arabic for mullato).  That being sad, I wanted to address this, obviously there are some northern Africans who are whites but nothing even close to the stereotypical Anglo Saxon Caucasian. Some other want to call us middle easterners, but this is also false, Northern Africa is NOT in the Middle East, and we are not white southern Africans either. So I am just curious, what should I check on my LS application?  I feel that checking African American would not be accurate since I am not American, African yes, but not American , soon to be American certainly, however  this would not capture my northern African heritage and also the fact that I am French. I label myself as African European because that’s what I am, however, checking white is not an option since I am not white, and definitely not middle eastern but black, as they say here in the states, if you have one drop of black blood you are black, marcus garvey even talked about the persistence of westerners wanting to label Northern Africans as white and called it ludicrous and is nothing but an attempt to divide us, more on this subject can be found at this link: http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/index.asp?document=737

So now what should I check from an ethical stand point? Damn, I wonder why americans need to know any way ?
“He who does not know you, will not value you”

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: What should I check ?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 09:52:45 PM »
most applications say african american/blk.  if you are phenotypically blk, then mark that box.  or if you want, mark other and then explain.
Columbia 3L

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 10:02:30 PM »
most applications say african american/blk.  if you are phenotypically blk, then mark that box.  or if you want, mark other and then explain.

titcr.  I'm not American (Afro-Caribbean) and marked the AA/Black box on all of my apps.  I also included my nationality, and my statements talked about my background, so they definitely had the full picture.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Afro European

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 11:46:22 PM »
Looks like I'll take that road and check AA/Black, and explain my circumstances in the additional statement; however, one thing is, U.S. Laws specifically label northern african as whites, I still wonder how that came about, what's the rational behind this ? 

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 09:28:54 AM »
Looks like I'll take that road and check AA/Black, and explain my circumstances in the additional statement; however, one thing is, U.S. Laws specifically label northern african as whites, I still wonder how that came about, what's the rational behind this ? 

They assume that North African = Arab.  Arab is included under the "white" banner in that they do not get affirmative action.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Afro European

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
That truly confirmed my suspecions, I guess I won't say that I am Northern African since Nothern Africans # ARAB and ARAB # WHITE. This will not be option for me. What would happen if I were to check "black" then in addition submit a statement about being Northern African, will they still view me as white despite of the fact that I checked black ??

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 10:32:02 PM »
That truly confirmed my suspecions, I guess I won't say that I am Northern African since Nothern Africans # ARAB and ARAB # WHITE. This will not be option for me. What would happen if I were to check "black" then in addition submit a statement about being Northern African, will they still view me as white despite of the fact that I checked black ??

specify that you are BLACK in the statement.
Columbia 3L