Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Admissions Packet  (Read 1465 times)

Sooner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Admissions Packet
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 03:15:20 PM »
Have you received a financial aid offer yet?  I haven't heard anything from them, which I think is ridiculous.  When is their seat deposit deadline?

Maybe you're not getting any $ from them. LOL. I'm pretty sure that's the story for me (and I'm in-state, accepted last October, well above median). I have them crossed out in my sig, but I haven't withdrawn yet based on the off chance that California falls into the Pacific in the next week and UT moves into the new top-14.

Kidding. I still wouldn't go. Maybe I'm still curious how UT will screw up next...might as well wait a week.
The University of Chicago
The Law School

ElectricalStorm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 03:25:32 AM »
Sorry to hear of these issues with Financial Aid and Admissions, but remember, you won't have to deal with them (at least Admissions) again. Spend a year here and you'll realize why no fancy admissions packet is necessary ;).
UT 1L

redacted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 08:22:40 AM »
Sorry to hear of these issues with Financial Aid and Admissions, but remember, you won't have to deal with them (at least Admissions) again. Spend a year here and you'll realize why no fancy admissions packet is necessary ;).

Are you referring to establishing Texas residency?  I can't figure out how that works...

pea27

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 09:37:16 AM »
I agree with everyone that their admissions recruiting material has been less than impressive, but I have to disagree with people's comments on financial aid.  I didn't get money from them at first, and then I sent in merit aid offers at other schools and called the office once.  Within a week I receieved what I consider to be a more-than-fair offer.

And for people looking for need-based aid, I think I read on Freshlaw that those letters are online now.  Check the discussion board section pertaining to financial aid.  I think the director has a post on there about how to access these letters.

Dr. Raoul Duke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 10:24:27 AM »
Admissions materials have been somewhat subpar, sure.  Yet, the one thing that continues to tempt about UT is the prospect of authentic Tex-Mex/Tejano cuisine on a daily basis....

sizzzzlin fajitas....and a corona (paradise) 

;D

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 11:08:17 AM »
Isn't just being The University of Texas enough? It's the Harvard of the People's Republic of Texas...so just be happy that you didn't get rejected. No recruiting is necessary.

Oooh, I wish I had room in my signature for this!  So true  :D

But I disagaree that financial aid office is a joke - in all my interactions they were helpful and responsive.  And ASW, at any school, is what you get out of it.  I rather enjoyed it, actually, despite the 70s inspired decor and "Texas #1" propaganda.
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

ElectricalStorm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 07:46:57 PM »

Are you referring to establishing Texas residency?  I can't figure out how that works...

I was referring to the overall awesomeness of UT, Austin, and Texas ;).
UT 1L

Nasche

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-Tar for ASWs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 08:19:47 PM »
I agree with everyone that their admissions recruiting material has been less than impressive, but I have to disagree with people's comments on financial aid.  I didn't get money from them at first, and then I sent in merit aid offers at other schools and called the office once.  Within a week I receieved what I consider to be a more-than-fair offer.

And for people looking for need-based aid, I think I read on Freshlaw that those letters are online now.  Check the discussion board section pertaining to financial aid.  I think the director has a post on there about how to access these letters.

How long ago did you do this? I just sent them other schools offers, because I just got in, so hopefully it's not too late. So far, their financial aid offer is terrible and is just about sending me to USC.
Attending: UT.
Accepted: BC, BU ($$), Emory ($$$), Fordham ($), U. Iowa, Notre Dame ($$), USC ($$), UT, Tulane ($$$$)
Waitlisted: Columbia, Duke, Michigan, UCLA

pea27

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 10:25:10 AM »

How long ago did you do this? I just sent them other schools offers, because I just got in, so hopefully it's not too late. So far, their financial aid offer is terrible and is just about sending me to USC.

I sent them stuff at the end of March -- but I was accepted in December, so I was really late in doing it.

On another thread, someone pointed to "soft factors" making the difference, and perhaps they did for me, I have very good soft factors for Texas.  But even still, the schools I sent in scholarships from were arguably not truly comparable in prestige.

Hope this helps.

ImpactPlayer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 04:15:07 PM »
Have you received a financial aid offer yet?  I haven't heard anything from them, which I think is ridiculous.  When is their seat deposit deadline?
I also got in last week and got the meager admissions packet. You can check online at their CASH site and see if your award info is there. Mine showed up pretty quickly, so take a look for yourself.

Yeah, I tried checking CA$H but I couldn't access it because I "already graduated from the University".  I graduated from undergrad @ UT in December, and I emailed them to tell them that and they said they'd look into and never got back to me so I just withdrew.