Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Applying to one school - good or bad in that school's eyes?  (Read 1027 times)

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Applying to one school - good or bad in that school's eyes?
« on: April 09, 2007, 08:41:43 PM »
If you only apply to one school, and that school knows you're only applying to one school, how does that affect your admission/rejection and why?  Is it considered bad form to tell that school that they are the only school you're applying to?

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Applying to one school - good or bad in that school's eyes?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 08:45:18 PM »
Applying to one school should be a bad idea in your eyes.

University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 08:54:28 PM »
If you only apply to one school, and that school knows you're only applying to one school, how does that affect your admission/rejection and why?  Is it considered bad form to tell that school that they are the only school you're applying to?

If you're going to ask a girl to the prom do you say "If you won't go with me I'm going to sit at home all night and eat cheetos instead."

IF you do say that, is she more likely to go to the prom with you because you said it???

To add to Bouzie's analogy, if you are only going to ask one girl, one very attractive cheerleader, you better be a real badass...

otherwise, you better have a back-up plan.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 09:01:48 PM »
The question wasn't "should I apply to more than one school" the question was, assuming I am applying to one school, is that a positive or negative in that school's eyes.  I'm well aware it's not the best strategy for getting accepted and attending.

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 09:03:08 PM »
I don't know if it makes that much a bit of difference really.  If you have the credentials, they'll let you in, if you don't, then they won't

Just have your 'ish together. 

BTW, I love Cheetos
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 09:09:26 PM »
The question wasn't "should I apply to more than one school" the question was, assuming I am applying to one school, is that a positive or negative in that school's eyes.  I'm well aware it's not the best strategy for getting accepted and attending.

You should starr in that Ford commercial "I like to live on the edge". BOLD move mate.  ;)

To be serious, the pendulum could swing both ways. It could say "Look I'm confident of my sh*t, and I want in, so let me in". On the other hand it could say "I'm a desperate lonely soul and my happyness depends on your benevolence". I ran my regression analysis and the chances of the second scenario is much greater. Good luck mate.
Washington University School of Law 2010

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 09:39:35 PM »
I can think of many reasons for only applying to one school (family that can't move, strong community ties, fear of going somewhere new).

By telling the school that you aren't applying anywhere else they'll know that at least one of these reasons may be more important to you than attending law school.  That or you think you're so amazing they couldn't possibly turn you down.

If you *are* so amazing they won't turn you down, telling them you aren't applying anywhere else might dissuade them from offering money (whereas simply telling them you're really, really interested for a variety of reasons might let them know they might yet be outbid).

I don't see anything to gain by telling the school you aren't applying elsewhere.  It probably won't kill your application, but it's not going to add all that much (and you could probably fill that space in your personal statement with something more insightful).

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 11:33:32 PM »
I asked a pre-law advisor that exact question about a year ago. He said he was almost certain it would have zero impact, but if it had an impact, it would be a negative --- it would lead them to believe you were a) arrogant, or b) not serious, or c) both.

Granted, if you have numbers that are way better than that school's averages, a) wouldn't be that much of a problem (unless they perceived you that you thought you were an easy in). Option b) would require a more involved explanation, maybe as a separate statement.

To be honest, I don't know how they would know unless you told them -- and I don't mean by simply leaving a "What other schools are you applying to?" question blank on the application (lots of people just do that anyway for privacy), but specifically sending them a letter or something explicitly telling them. It seems like a non-issue unless you make/made it one.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 11:37:25 PM »
If you apply to Penn and only Penn with a 4.0/180, then YOU WILL BE ACCEPTED if they know this.

If you apply to Penn and only Penn with a 3.3/165, then YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

If you are extraordinary and you apply to a school you think you'll get into, I can't see how it can hurt -- if they know they don't have to yield protect you. Otherwise, however, it won't help at all, and MAY make you seem immature and less-than-dedicated to becoming a lawyer.
VIP.

yanno

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 11:51:09 PM »

It's still mostly a numbers game (and also whether you apply early enough) - if you are way above that school's median scores, I don't see why it would be a negative - especially if they had offered you a fee waiver to begin with. Which school did you have in mind, though?