;

Poll

Two free rides... what do I choose?

CU Boulder
 16 (80%)
St. John's
 4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: CU Boulder ($$$) vs. St. John's ($$$)??  (Read 3113 times)

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
Re: CU Boulder ($$$) vs. St. John's ($$$)??
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 10:03:46 PM »
Have you specified where you want to practice after school?
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

deedeebarber

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 10:05:38 PM »
I will echo the overwhelming sentiment, go to Colorado!!!   No question.  Loved that place.  Came down to one of my final 3 choices, and I had a much smaller scholarship than you there (and they were like 16 spots lower in the rankings two years ago when I was considering them).   Of course I am happy with my BC pick (as Bamf said, we are cooler  ;)), but you can't give up a full ride at a great school like CU.  More importantly, much better option than St Johns.  BTW, go Great Danes! (I am a SUNY Albany alumn too, well, for a semester) 

Since you've visited CU, can you tell me what in particular you loved about it?

And, haha really? Wow, that's a huge jump (Albany to Wisconsin). I actually knew/know someone who goes to Madison for Med school.

deedeebarber

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 10:06:59 PM »

To be completely honest, I don't have a clue. I don't know what part of the law I'll love doing, I'm leaving that up to law school and what I discover I love doing during 1L and 2L. I could wind up doing anything between environmental law and corporate law, so I'm looking for a school that has good clinics for me to figure out what'd be more appealing to practice.

deedeebarber

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 10:17:36 PM »

To be completely honest, I don't have a clue. I don't know what part of the law I'll love doing, I'm leaving that up to law school and what I discover I love doing during 1L and 2L. I could wind up doing anything between environmental law and corporate law, so I'm looking for a school that has good clinics for me to figure out what'd be more appealing to practice.

They have a great environmental program, and a bunch of enviro groups have offices in Boulder, good for internships.

Yeah, I learned about that too (4th  best enviro program in the country). Who knows? I might become a green lawyer. It's all up in the air for me. I just want to do something I'm happy with.

Is Boulder an expensive place to live in?

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 10:34:14 PM »
I will echo the overwhelming sentiment, go to Colorado!!!   No question.  Loved that place.  Came down to one of my final 3 choices, and I had a much smaller scholarship than you there (and they were like 16 spots lower in the rankings two years ago when I was considering them).   Of course I am happy with my BC pick (as Bamf said, we are cooler  ;)), but you can't give up a full ride at a great school like CU.  More importantly, much better option than St Johns.  BTW, go Great Danes! (I am a SUNY Albany alumn too, well, for a semester) 

Since you've visited CU, can you tell me what in particular you loved about it?

And, haha really? Wow, that's a huge jump (Albany to Wisconsin). I actually knew/know someone who goes to Madison for Med school.

Funny that u know someone at UW med...my ex is actually a 3rd year there now.   Maybe they know each other...actually, maybe we know some of the same people at SUNY!  We'll have to discuss sometime.   

Anyway, I visited CU before the new building was built, so it could only be even better now.   I wrote up a somewhat thorough review on LSD after I had visited, when the trip was still fresh in my mind.   It will do a lot more justice then if I tried to explain everything to you now: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,56316.0.html   (btw, I seem to have had an obsession with attractive women when I wrote that post.  I must have been going through a phase or something)

Let me know if you have any other questions about CU (or about BC if you have a sudden change of heart  ;D
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

deedeebarber

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 11:13:12 PM »

Boulder can be very pricy, but itís a college town so there is affordable stuff as well.  Iím not sure what rents is, but to buy is outrageous for what you get for the $. My only comment on where to live, is, if was me, I would live someplace where I could get to Denver quickly. I do a lot of networking in the legal community in Denver, I have yet to meet one CU student, they just donít seem to want to make the drive down here (its 45 mins to 1 Ĺ hours in traffic). And that gives DU students an advantage in town. If I was going to CU I would try to live closer to Denver than school. But I am also a study at home guy, so as soon as class is over Iím out. If youíre a at school all the time person, maybe I would live closer to school. I still think the networking in Denver is worth living closer.

I take it you're not quite familiar with the commuting in NYC? :) From a borough like Queens, or the 'burbs in Westchester or Rockland, it takes about half an hour to an hour to get to Manhattan, even though the distance is 10-20 miles. The traffic here is horrible... so I'm used to long drives. Don't worry, I won't let that stop me from going to Denver.

Funny that u know someone at UW med...my ex is actually a 3rd year there now.   Maybe they know each other...actually, maybe we know some of the same people at SUNY!  We'll have to discuss sometime.   

Anyway, I visited CU before the new building was built, so it could only be even better now.   I wrote up a somewhat thorough review on LSD after I had visited, when the trip was still fresh in my mind.   It will do a lot more justice then if I tried to explain everything to you now: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,56316.0.html   (btw, I seem to have had an obsession with attractive women when I wrote that post.  I must have been going through a phase or something)

Let me know if you have any other questions about CU (or about BC if you have a sudden change of heart  ;D

Haha, come to think of it, this UW Med student has had a few relationships, maybe she's someone you know :O

Thanks for that link to your review of the school. It's the best thing next to a personal tour of the school as I could ask for (both in terms of the scene and the academics).  And, no, it's not a bad thing to be preoccupied with women, haha. I actually vacationed around Boulder a few years ago to visit my sister (who was an undergrad at the time), and I too noticed all the absolutely beautiful women there. However, when it comes to law school, that could kill ya, so I've been resisting the urge to use that as a motivation (but in this case, it wouldnt hurt :) )

And the new law school building looks amazing in the pictures and the virtual tour and such... I would imagine the school's only gotten better.

I'm almost 100% sold on the school. I'm actually wishing for someone to say something negative about CU so that I can know that there aren't any hidden Cons to the Pros that I've already racked up (I'm sure they outnumber the Cons)

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 12:37:57 AM »
CU is an awesome place and I only wish I was going there.  Boulder is a really cool town as well.  It's very laid back and has all sorts of types of people but mainly outdoorsly laid back people.  That is why I personally think it's ideal.  There are a lot less arrogant assholes there.  Seems like people just enjoying life and could care less about money they just want to do a job they love.  just my two cents.

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 07:33:10 AM »
There might be hippies there...

Don't know if that's a negative or not to you...just putting it out there. (Trying to scrounge up a negative)
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 07:34:07 AM »
Oh, and their football team bites the big one....that's what a crooked coach can do to ya. 
IU-B '10

deedeebarber

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 12:42:02 PM »
Oh, and their football team bites the big one....that's what a crooked coach can do to ya. 

Hahaha, I'll note that and the hippies. However, my sister is/was a hippie so I'm used to them (and may become one :O) and my school (SUNY Albany) had a terrible D-II football team, so anything else would be an improvement.

So I just received the scholarship info in the mail today... it's official, I've been offered a full ride for all 3 years, provided I maintain a B average and take 12 credits a semester. Very, very manageable restrictions (I believe CU has a very big B curve).

I think I'm all but set to make my mind up. Now, how do I get that deposit back from St. John's?