;

Poll

Two free rides... what do I choose?

CU Boulder
 16 (80%)
St. John's
 4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: CU Boulder ($$$) vs. St. John's ($$$)??  (Read 2869 times)

deedeebarber

• View Profile
CU Boulder ($$$) vs. St. John's ($$$)??
« on: April 09, 2007, 06:35:20 PM »
So, I had made my mind completely up and was at peace with going to St. John's for law school on a full-tuition scholarship. I had even submitted my seat deposit/housing deposit a week ago (I probably wont' see it come back). I sent all the other schools I had received acceptances to an e-mail saying that I wanted to withdraw my name from consideration.

BUT, all of a sudden I received a call today from a lady at CU Boulder, saying that they had just sent me a letter saying I had received a FREE RIDE there, and thinking I hadn't received it yet, they were calling to see if I wanted to 'withdraw' my withdrawal...

Well, of course I did. CU Boulder is now ranked #36 in the country... great academics, gorgeous location, laid back atmosphere, in Colorado where I have family... how could I pass up the opportunity?

But now I'm facing a dilemma based on career prospects moreso than academics or other factors. St. John's is in NYC... while it's not one of the top-top schools in the city, finding a job shouldn't be too hard in the goldmine that the city and the state is. Boulder is a really nice town, and Colorado is a beautiful state, but I'm not quite sure what kind of career prospects are available there, and what my chances are finding a job outside the state should I decide I don't want to settle in Colorado (i.e. move to California or move back here to NY). I don't know what the value is of a license to practice in Colorado is, either, whereas St. John's has a 91% bar passage rate for NY, one of the toughest and most prestigious bars to pass.

I need all the help i can get! Two free rides in a cycle is amazing (I got 164 and 3.58 from a public school in NY... nothing too spectacular)... so what do I do??

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: CU Boulder ($$$) vs. St. John's ($$$)??
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 06:54:23 PM »
NYC is the number 1 destination for top prospects from every school in T1.  Do not ever assume it will be "fairly easy" to get a job in NYC.  Please, for the love of god, go to Colorado.
If I remember correctly a SJU student recently started a thread "SJU: diploma mill?"
Colorado doesn't get a great deal of press on these boards, probably because the people who go there are all laid back and chill, as opposed to us uptight LSDers.  Plus colorado just opened a brand new building.  And it has an awesomely small student body, you'll get mucho personal attention.  And while there may not be a plethora of NYC firms OCIing at UC, you will be able to shop your degree around NY just as well so long as you have decent grades. (VS. needing to be top 10-15% at SJU to get a decent firm job ... and  you'd probably have to do the same shopping around.)  Also Denver is a growing market and an awesome city.  I've heard great things about the growing legal market in Denver.  And hey, when a student of mine got sued by the RIAA for downloading songs, the firm suing her was in, you guessed it, Denver!
PS did you go to a SUNY?
OK, to sum it all up, unless you cannot stand the thought of leaving your fam for a few years, go to UC and have a blast.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

deedeebarber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 07:08:20 PM »
NYC is the number 1 destination for top prospects from every school in T1.  Do not ever assume it will be "fairly easy" to get a job in NYC.  Please, for the love of god, go to Colorado.
If I remember correctly a SJU student recently started a thread "SJU: diploma mill?"
Colorado doesn't get a great deal of press on these boards, probably because the people who go there are all laid back and chill, as opposed to us uptight LSDers.  Plus colorado just opened a brand new building.  And it has an awesomely small student body, you'll get mucho personal attention.  And while there may not be a plethora of NYC firms OCIing at UC, you will be able to shop your degree around NY just as well so long as you have decent grades. (VS. needing to be top 10-15% at SJU to get a decent firm job ... and  you'd probably have to do the same shopping around.)  Also Denver is a growing market and an awesome city.  I've heard great things about the growing legal market in Denver.  And hey, when a student of mine got sued by the RIAA for downloading songs, the firm suing her was in, you guessed it, Denver!
PS did you go to a SUNY?
OK, to sum it all up, unless you cannot stand the thought of leaving your fam for a few years, go to UC and have a blast.

Hey, thanks for your insights!! I didn't want to get the impression that I was naive about the job situation in NYC... I understand the overabundance of qualified grads, so I do know that'd be hard to find a high-end job in NYC coming out of St. John's. I have to say I'm not QUITE as on the fence as it seems in my first post... my family and I are leaning pretty heavily toward CU. I was hoping more for people to share their insights as to the career prospects out of CU (not just in NY, but CA) so I can be assured that I'm not getting myself into an unfavorable situation. However your reply has me a bit more confident. I wish there WAS more info available about CU grads/alumni and what they're doing, it'd put my mind all the more at ease. Also, my family would actually rather go to COLORADO rather than stay in NY, I have a bunch of relatives in Colorado (2 uncles, an aunt, and a plethora of cousins), my parents love the area and have been considering settling there for a while, and my sister went to undergrad at Boulder and loved it as well. So, in essence, I'd have to push my family BACK from wanting to go to Colorado.

Oh, and yes, I did go to a SUNY school (Albany, in fact). If you're familiar with it, you would know the reputation Albany has for partying and the like... a bit overblown I think, but nonetheless it's undeniable.  Which is why I'm all the more surprised/happy I got two free ride offers out of it.

Also, I noticed you're going to BC... congrats! I was offered admission as well, however they didn't give a scholarship and I'm not too keen on taking up loans (hence, only considering the free rides). Good luck there!

Camaro_Kyle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 09:44:08 PM »
I voted for St. Johns's completely out of selfishness. I was waitlisted at CU and really, really, really want to go there.  So if I were you, I would go to CU. I visited in December and was blown away, it is absolutely gorgeous! But if you do decide to go to St. John's please withdraw from Boulder asap. Thanks!

deedeebarber

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 09:46:35 PM »
I voted for St. Johns's completely out of selfishness. I was waitlisted at CU and really, really, really want to go there.  So if I were you, I would go to CU. I visited in December and was blown away, it is absolutely gorgeous! But if you do decide to go to St. John's please withdraw from Boulder asap. Thanks!

Haha, thanks for the non-vote vote of confidence :P

I'm feeling good about going to CU now. I'm starting to think that I might not even want to come back to NY once I'm out west (my sister certainly doesn't want to).

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 09:48:39 PM »
Go west young person!!!  (didn't want to mess up gender)

I heard Denver is chill, and Colorado will probably give you some doors to the West Coast.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

deedeebarber

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 09:51:12 PM »
Go west young person!!!  (didn't want to mess up gender)

I heard Denver is chill, and Colorado will probably give you some doors to the West Coast.

Haha, young man is fine.

And yes, I've been seeing that as well. Top 10 school in the West. NYC shouldn't be the be-all end-all, after all.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 09:54:08 PM »
I love when LSD helps someone make the right choice!

but really, you should have come to BC... we're much cooler!
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

deedeebarber

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 09:59:38 PM »
I love when LSD helps someone make the right choice!

but really, you should have come to BC... we're much cooler!

I'm sure you are :P But yeah, I didn't want to take out those loans... I know BC is a great school (best school to accept me), but loans really scare me. Big loans, at least.

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 10:02:55 PM »
I will echo the overwhelming sentiment, go to Colorado!!!   No question.  Loved that place.  Came down to one of my final 3 choices, and I had a much smaller scholarship than you there (and they were like 16 spots lower in the rankings two years ago when I was considering them).   Of course I am happy with my BC pick (as Bamf said, we are cooler  ;)), but you can't give up a full ride at a great school like CU.  More importantly, much better option than St Johns.  BTW, go Great Danes! (I am a SUNY Albany alumn too, well, for a semester) 
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk