Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Arizona vs. U of Miami  (Read 4397 times)

Forget Money, Read a Book

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Arizona vs. U of Miami
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2007, 05:09:27 PM »
Hope no one minds me hi-jacking just a tad....its just that the frequency of posts has somewhat died down since this thread began and I'm in a similar situation and didn't want to start a new thread...Anyway, I'm still having a tough time deciding...What would you all do??

Tale of the Tape:

No geographic preference for after graduation...Although, based on a cost of living calculator I referenced, $110K in Phoenix = $122K in Miami...

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html?step=result&current_salary=110000&from_city=Phoenix+AZ&to_city=Miami-Dade+County+FL&x=24&y=12

Arizona

Cost of Attendance W/Scholarship- $72K
Scholarship guaranteed all three years

Tier 1

6% Judicial Clerkship

smaller, close knit community

Low cost of living

Miami

Cost of Attendance W/Scholarship- $99K
Scholarship contingent on performance

Tier 2

4% Judicial Clerkship

~1200 students

High cost of living

You'd think this would be easy...Its just that I know nothing about AZ.  FWIW, I'm going to visit UofA in June.
Attending: The "U"

IN: UMiami($$), UofArizona($$), American, URichmond($$), UofSouth Carolina($$)
OUT:  BC, IU-B, UF,
WL:  GWU, UNC, UGA

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2007, 08:56:27 PM »
Arizona

Cost of Attendance W/Scholarship- $72K
Scholarship guaranteed all three years

Tier 1

6% Federal Judicial Clerkship (usually 18-20% total)

smaller, close knit community

Low cost of living

Corrected.  :)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2007, 10:47:25 AM »
Awww...you're right.  Thanks!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2007, 06:20:53 PM »
Bump....

check01

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2007, 03:36:05 AM »
I can't speak to UM, but I know quite a bit about UA.  The curve is a mixed blessing because there are no plus or minus grades.  It hurts to be in a small section knowing that there are only 6 As available.

If you really want to live in Arizona over the long haul, you can't beat UA.  Incoming 1Ls will also have the added advantage of spending their last 1 or 1.5 years in the remodeled school, which is going to be really nice.  Next year is construction, but another new building will be the temporary campus -- and it will probably be better than the current campus.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2007, 07:19:34 AM »
I can't speak to UM, but I know quite a bit about UA.  The curve is a mixed blessing because there are no plus or minus grades.  It hurts to be in a small section knowing that there are only 6 As available.

If you really want to live in Arizona over the long haul, you can't beat UA.  Incoming 1Ls will also have the added advantage of spending their last 1 or 1.5 years in the remodeled school, which is going to be really nice.  Next year is construction, but another new building will be the temporary campus -- and it will probably be better than the current campus.

check01,
thanks for chiming in...I actually know a decent bit about UM, its UA that I don't know much about...I was thinking the same thing about the curve so glad you mentioned it.

I'm headed out there next week for about 8 days so I will look at Tucson and Phoenix and see if they are towns I could see myself living in long term....You mentioned UA being good for staying in AZ long term.  What do you think about escaping to CO, CA, or WA?  I looked at the employment statistics and it definitely seems possible.  I think the website mentions that outside of AZ, San Diego, LA, San Francisco, and Seattle are the biggest markets where grads end up.

I didn't know the temporary building was new...I guess if that will be better than the current, the remodeling isn't so bad afterall.  Are you a student there now?

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2007, 06:54:19 PM »

check01,
thanks for chiming in...I actually know a decent bit about UM, its UA that I don't know much about...I was thinking the same thing about the curve so glad you mentioned it.

I'm headed out there next week for about 8 days so I will look at Tucson and Phoenix and see if they are towns I could see myself living in long term....You mentioned UA being good for staying in AZ long term.  What do you think about escaping to CO, CA, or WA?  I looked at the employment statistics and it definitely seems possible.  I think the website mentions that outside of AZ, San Diego, LA, San Francisco, and Seattle are the biggest markets where grads end up.

I didn't know the temporary building was new...I guess if that will be better than the current, the remodeling isn't so bad afterall.  Are you a student there now?

If someone namedrops where the classes will be, I can tell you about the buildings, I havent heard where these "temporary buildings" are though.

Shoot me a PM while you're in Tucson, I just graduated and got nothing to do but drink myself retarded until law school starts.  I can show you around campus and Tucson a little if you're interested

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2007, 06:12:04 PM »
Here's a map:

http://www.law.arizona.edu/lawcommons/map.cfm

It'd definitely be cool if you did...You can give me the skinny on the nicer neighborhoods (I hear petty crime is kinda bad) and the cool places to hang out.  Check your in-box around the 3rd or so.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2007, 06:23:16 PM »
Here's a map:

http://www.law.arizona.edu/lawcommons/map.cfm

It'd definitely be cool if you did...You can give me the skinny on the nicer neighborhoods (I hear petty crime is kinda bad) and the cool places to hang out.  Check your in-box around the 3rd or so.

Hmm, thats the extreme northwest end of campus.  In fact, last time I was up there, that whole area was smaller homes that the U of A bought out to conduct business in, they must have knocked those down and built office building type things there.

Maybe its the fact that I just got back from New Orleans, but crime really isnt a problem here.  Bike theft is far and away the biggest crime problem around campus.  I had my bike stolen, and pretty much everyone I know did as well, but its not like people are breaking into apartments and houses... just some bums trying to get money.  If you lock it up to the frame and dont buy some 600 dollar bike youll be fine.  If you get far south in Tucson, the neighborhoods can get shady, but honestly, no one lives down there that goes to the U, its too far to drive and its not somewhere people who can avoid it choose to live.

Ill keep an eye out in my PM and email around that time.