Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Arizona vs. U of Miami  (Read 4442 times)

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Arizona vs. U of Miami
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2007, 02:14:45 PM »
Another bump...

Forget Money, Read a Book

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2007, 09:37:35 AM »
I do not believe we've considered cost yet.  While someone already mentioned the difference in cost of living and the "value" of those median salaries, consider cost while you are attending.  I am assuming, of course, that you have no scholarship at Miami...

So:
Miami @ $34.5K tuition and $17K living x3 = $154.5K
Arizona @ $28.5K tuition and $14.5K living x3 = $129K

So Miami costs about $25K more upfront.

However, Arizona lets you establish residency as long as you establish domicile a year in advance. So when you move in July, quickly change your license, register your car, register to vote, etc. (and be sure to work your 1L summer in Arizona).  This drops your tuition about 11K per year for 2L and 3L.  I was told by the admissions office that even students who end up not qualifying for 2L often can reapply for residency and obtain it 3L.

So Arizona has the potential of costing as much as $47K less than Miami.

I've researched both schools, and I'll reiterate what others have said that neither school offers a significant advantage for Biglaw, although (at least on paper) Miami seems to be a better legal market than Phoenix.  A moderate amount of Biglaw graduates of Arizona go to LA.

The clerkship #s should not be discounted, especially considering Arizona places about 7% of its total graduating class in FEDERAL clerkships (1/3 of all its clerks).  This is an astounding number for any school outside the Top 20/etc.  If you do a federal clerkship, you become a hot commodity for any employer.

would you point me in the direction you found the residency info or did you receive this when you called the admissions office?  I'm probably going to call them next week.

I'm admitted to both schools, and while leaning heavily towards UM (location), I will say that I've been impressed with everything I've received from UofA.  The career services office sent employment statistics for the '06,'05, and '04 grads along with a list of the names of the employers broken down by state.  Most of the firms were smaller, but I do remember the median salary being $90K for '06 grads that REPORTED.....I too am skeptical of USNEWS and school stats, however.  I'll try to find the same info on the website and will post once I do.

Attending: The "U"

IN: UMiami($$), UofArizona($$), American, URichmond($$), UofSouth Carolina($$)
OUT:  BC, IU-B, UF,
WL:  GWU, UNC, UGA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2007, 09:43:17 AM »
Keep in mind that Phoenix is a huge city, and there are only about 300 graduates each year from UofA and ASU combined.  In contrast, Miami has over 400 students per class.  Plus Miami students must compete with the graduates from the higher ranked University of Florida and Florida State which have 400 and 250 students per class respectively.  Then there is the additional competition from graduates of east coast schools at Miami.

The question is whether the ratio of (new grads)/(available large firm jobs) is better in Miami or Phoenix.  Is there some sort of empiricle measurement of the number of jobs each year available to BigLaw-seeking graduates in Miami and Phoenix? 

This is an outstanding point, and something I never really considered until now...Also, a question one should ask is, "how long after ls am I limited to where I begin my career?"  "Would it be easier to move from Miami to another city in FL after three years or easier to move to L.A. after working in Tucson/Phoenix?"  I know the OP wants to settle wherever he/she attends school, but things may always change.

Also, it seems from what UofA sends, a large portion of the class is working for Mid-to-Large Sized firms, doing a Judicial Clerkship, or doing something for the Government.  These are all difficult to get.  UofA's career services office has made this info readily available.  While I still may attend UM, I'm trying to figure out what UM grads NOT getting these Biglaw jobs are doing???

Keele-
I remember your helpful advice when I inquired about Miami a few months ago and I do always appreciate your input.  I think you are right about differences in rank being minute after the top 30/40 or so...but I STILL think there is something to be said about a school in the top50, even if it is low Tier1...It has to be there for a reason.  Also, UofA is making big improvements to the facilities, maybe it'll break the top30 or so by the time 2010 rolls around.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2007, 09:47:51 AM »

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2007, 12:24:06 PM »
I do not believe we've considered cost yet.  While someone already mentioned the difference in cost of living and the "value" of those median salaries, consider cost while you are attending.  I am assuming, of course, that you have no scholarship at Miami...

So:
Miami @ $34.5K tuition and $17K living x3 = $154.5K
Arizona @ $28.5K tuition and $14.5K living x3 = $129K

So Miami costs about $25K more upfront.

However, Arizona lets you establish residency as long as you establish domicile a year in advance. So when you move in July, quickly change your license, register your car, register to vote, etc. (and be sure to work your 1L summer in Arizona).  This drops your tuition about 11K per year for 2L and 3L.  I was told by the admissions office that even students who end up not qualifying for 2L often can reapply for residency and obtain it 3L.

So Arizona has the potential of costing as much as $47K less than Miami.

I've researched both schools, and I'll reiterate what others have said that neither school offers a significant advantage for Biglaw, although (at least on paper) Miami seems to be a better legal market than Phoenix.  A moderate amount of Biglaw graduates of Arizona go to LA.

The clerkship #s should not be discounted, especially considering Arizona places about 7% of its total graduating class in FEDERAL clerkships (1/3 of all its clerks).  This is an astounding number for any school outside the Top 20/etc.  If you do a federal clerkship, you become a hot commodity for any employer.

would you point me in the direction you found the residency info or did you receive this when you called the admissions office?  I'm probably going to call them next week.

I'm admitted to both schools, and while leaning heavily towards UM (location), I will say that I've been impressed with everything I've received from UofA.  The career services office sent employment statistics for the '06,'05, and '04 grads along with a list of the names of the employers broken down by state.  Most of the firms were smaller, but I do remember the median salary being $90K for '06 grads that REPORTED.....I too am skeptical of USNEWS and school stats, however.  I'll try to find the same info on the website and will post once I do.

This site describes residency info.
http://www.registrar.arizona.edu/residency/residenc.htm

It's very important to work your 1L summer in AZ.  The site says students are generally considered to be in the state for educational purposes and therefore not receive residency status.  However, if you can establish an intent to make AZ your permanent state of residence, you can qualify.  That's why a lot of 2Ls (who have worked 2 summers in the state) are more likely to qualify.

UAZ has been one of the most open schools I've looked at regarding employment.  I really like how they break down their 1L summer employment by each employer.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2007, 05:02:54 PM »
Thanks for the residency info...

Looks like most lost interest in this thread...I did have one question though, Does anyone know how harsh the curve is at UofA???  I think this might be relevant to the OP's original question b/c he/she wants to know opportunities available to a student in similar standing at both. Its just that we don't necessarily know what one would have to put into getting in the top15% at UofA and the top15% at UMiami...For what its worth, I've heard the curve at UM is pretty harsh.

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2007, 06:10:25 PM »

Looks like most lost interest in this thread...I did have one question though, Does anyone know how harsh the curve is at UofA???  I think this might be relevant to the OP's original question b/c he/she wants to know opportunities available to a student in similar standing at both. Its just that we don't necessarily know what one would have to put into getting in the top15% at UofA and the top15% at UMiami...For what its worth, I've heard the curve at UM is pretty harsh.

I heard UM's curve was pretty bad also but in reality they have a B curve
UMiami c/o 2010

kulrythm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2007, 04:49:01 PM »

Here's the link to the grading curve info for UofA
http://www.law.arizona.edu/rss/grading.cfm?page=concent&link=s

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2007, 09:57:20 PM »
Is U of A law school in Tucson?
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2007, 12:50:35 PM »
Is U of A law school in Tucson?

:( How can you go to a Pac-10 school and not know this?