Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AA hiring boost shared by all students?  (Read 1435 times)

////

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
AA hiring boost shared by all students?
« on: April 09, 2007, 01:34:23 PM »
I was thinking about schools and firm recruiting during my lunch break and thought I'd share - ask for opinions.

You could as easily say diversity as well as AA for this, but since this is the AA board I'll say AA.

My understanding is that BIGLAW firms tend to reach into each law school to a certain rough % of the class, whether it be 90% at HYS, 50% at CCN, 20% at t50 (made up numbers, but you get the point).

I also understand that URMs may get a boost in hiring beyond this rough percentage, be it AA or firms seeking diversity, or some other aspect of their app that correlates well with hiring beyond grades.

If we assume that 1/2 of URM students (another made up figure) are inside and 1/2 outside the typical firm reach, can we not also assume that some of those outside the reach provide an extra boost in firm hiring stats?

If so, doesn't that raise the profile of the whole law school as these stats are reported? More subtly, wouldn't it also strengthen the overall alumni network?

Does this mean that more diverse schools have a greater firm reach in general?

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: AA hiring boost shared by all students?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 04:46:20 PM »
I do not think that more diverse schools have a greater firm reach. Maybe a firm might go in deeper to get some URM;s, but I doubt it affects non URM candidates. It just does not make logical sense to recruit more underachieving people as it is.

////

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 06:13:41 PM »
I do not think that more diverse schools have a greater firm reach. Maybe a firm might go in deeper to get some URM;s, but I doubt it affects non URM candidates. It just does not make logical sense to recruit more underachieving people as it is.

Do you disagree that firms go deeper into the class for URM's or that having more people from your LS get BigLaw jobs is good for the school and future students? Or are you saying that firms only pick a few so that the effect is negligable?

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:06:56 AM »

Do you disagree that firms go deeper into the class for URM's or that having more people from your LS get BigLaw jobs is good for the school and future students? Or are you saying that firms only pick a few so that the effect is negligable?

They might go deeper for URM's. But the sense I got from your post is that by going deeper for URM's non URM students benefit and I disagree with that.