Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Existential Crisis, Please Advise  (Read 1239 times)

AlphaBusey

• Sr. Citizen
  • SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
Re: Existential Crisis, Please Advise
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 02:27:24 PM »
Did no one read my earlier response?  There is no better answer than that my friends.

I did, I just don't agree.  I pretty much never give concrete advice, as in "you need to do this, and this, etc." (unless it's to Johnny), because I think there's too many factors specific to the OP, or anyone else with a "What Should I Do?" type thread to really give them good advice like that.  Rather, I think it's more helpful to weigh out the pros and cons.  For instance, leading up to my choice at UVA, you could have debated the credentials of the various schools I was in at ad nauseum.  When I made my choice, it was based upon considerations that, to a decent degree, are seldom mentioned on this board.

Ehh, my advice leaves plenty of options open.  If OP sends in a deposit for his first choice school and signs up or LSATs in June, he does not close himself out of anything.

1) If he decides he wants to go to LS this year, great.  Cancel LSAT test.

2) If he takes LSAT and does much better and wants to go to a T14, great.  Reapply next year.

3) If he takes LSAT and regardless of performance realizes he would love to attend the school he sent in deposit to, great.  Time and money was spent, but at least OP knows he can proceed without regret.

Yeah, but the point is, I don't want to outline his options for him.  You give them the pros and cons, and let them decide.  For instance, I never said, don't take the LSAT.  I said, my gut reaction would be to go now.  However, my "gut" and the OP's "gut" are probably far from similar.  So that said, I spent the rest of the post trying to outline a bunch of different factors to consider, as far as I could imagine them.  (Note, again, not a specific 5, Johnny :P ).  I just don't imagine anyone coming to this board and saying "Here, anonymous internet people, tell me exactly what I should do."  And if that is in fact what people intend, good luck to you, I guess.  You're 22+ and still can't make your own decisions  :-\.  But rather, like the OP in this thread, I think most people read everything, soak it in, appraise the pros and the cons, and make a considered choice, which is what happened here.
UVA '10

My generation's for sale
Beats a steady job.
How much have you got?
My generation don't trust no one
Its hard to blame
Not even ourselves.
The thing that's real for us is: fortune and fame,
All the rest seems like work.
Its just like Diamonds
In *&^%.- Queens of the Stone Age

Drew P. Bottom

• Sr. Citizen
  • You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007, 02:31:22 PM »
Thank you all for the outpouring of advice. I am not a person who usually gives much thought to things like ranking (I chose to go to a upper-middling Liberal Arts school over an Ivy for undergrad), but back then it was completely a matter of choice. This time, it is because I could not get in anywhere better. This doesn't sit well with me, so I've decided to follow what seems to be an amalgam of the various advice threads:

-put in my deposit
-hire a personal tutor whose exorbident fees will force me to study
-See where that leaves me.

Thanks again everybody.
'

I like that plan.
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -- James Madison

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2007, 02:53:03 PM »
Thank you all for the outpouring of advice. I am not a person who usually gives much thought to things like ranking (I chose to go to a upper-middling Liberal Arts school over an Ivy for undergrad), but back then it was completely a matter of choice. This time, it is because I could not get in anywhere better. This doesn't sit well with me, so I've decided to follow what seems to be an amalgam of the various advice threads:

-put in my deposit
-hire a personal tutor whose exorbident fees will force me to study
-See where that leaves me.

Thanks again everybody.

I feel like this was the general consensus, so yes, good plan.  Good luck to you. (I probably wouldn't spend all the money on the tutor though and just study, but thats just me and I didn't have the money for the tutor)
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

lweiger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 05:09:14 PM »
you should take the test at least once more.  maybe even give it another two tries.