Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Existential Crisis, Please Advise  (Read 1233 times)

AlphaBusey

• Sr. Citizen
  • SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
Re: Existential Crisis, Please Advise
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 01:22:35 PM »
I disagree with most of what has been said. If you got a 165 without studying you could probably get a score in high 170's. And guess what? You could go to your t-30 school for free. Heck you'd probably have a number of choices of t-14 with partial scholarship vs t-20 with full ride. And who knows, if you do extremely well on the lsat you may go to HYS.
The reason everyone here is obsessed with rank is because higher ranked schools will give you better employment prospects and generally you'll have to stress less about your class rank.

There's merit to this, of course, there's a lot of unknowns:  Will you study?  Will you really do that well?  Will you not just get stressed out more with having to study and the pressure of getting a higher score?

I guess it all just comes down to how you feel about it.  I, personally, would take what's on the table rather than have to deal with all those unknowns.  But a lot of that is just how I perceive risk.  And what you think is worth it will depend a lot on your risk perception.  If you are certain you'll get a much better score, and you know that the stress of studying or anything like that won't put you off, than I think there's a compelling case for it.  But if you don't feel you're up to it, there's a good chance it'd be a disaster.  That's the limit of these sorts of questions on the message board.  We can all outline the pros and cons of each choice for you, but in the end you have to weigh and prioritize them all, and decide which set of cons is less sucky, and which set of pros is more worth it.
UVA '10

My generation's for sale
Beats a steady job.
How much have you got?
My generation don't trust no one
Its hard to blame
Not even ourselves.
The thing that's real for us is: fortune and fame,
All the rest seems like work.
Its just like Diamonds
In *&^%.- Queens of the Stone Age

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 01:23:32 PM »
I disagree with most of what has been said. If you got a 165 without studying you could probably get a score in high 170's. And guess what? You could go to your t-30 school for free. Heck you'd probably have a number of choices of t-14 with partial scholarship vs t-20 with full ride. And who knows, if you do extremely well on the lsat you may go to HYS.
The reason everyone here is obsessed with rank is because higher ranked schools will give you better employment prospects and generally you'll have to stress less about your class rank.

There's merit to this, of course, there's a lot of unknowns:  Will you study?  Will you really do that well?  Will you not just get stressed out more with having to study and the pressure of getting a higher score?

I guess it all just comes down to how you feel about it.  I, personally, would take what's on the table rather than have to deal with all those unknowns.  But a lot of that is just how I perceive risk.  And what you think is worth it will depend a lot on your risk perception.  If you are certain you'll get a much better score, and you know that the stress of studying or anything like that won't put you off, than I think there's a compelling case for it.  But if you don't feel you're up to it, there's a good chance it'd be a disaster.  That's the limit of these sorts of questions on the message board.  We can all outline the pros and cons of each choice for you, but in the end you have to weigh and prioritize them all, and decide which set of cons is less sucky, and which set of pros is more worth it.

Way to steal my ideology and pass it off as your own, jackass.
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 01:43:16 PM »

Well i think he could send in his deposit, take the lsat in June after studying for a month and then see what happens.

AlphaBusey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 01:45:06 PM »

Way to steal my ideology and pass it off as your own, jackass.

Did you see a 6-step process?  Did I score them?  There's no patent on being awesome.  Aww, crap, did I just admit you were awesome?  Here we go :(
UVA '10

My generation's for sale
Beats a steady job.
How much have you got?
Its hard to blame
Not even ourselves.
Its just like Diamonds

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 01:45:45 PM »

Well i think he could send in his deposit, take the lsat in June after studying for a month and then see what happens.

I agree. If you're not happy with where you've ended up, I can think of few reasons not to take the june test. It's a risk free proposition.

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 01:52:04 PM »
Did no one read my earlier response?  There is no better answer than that my friends.
USD 2010

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 01:53:51 PM »
Dont let US News and LSD fool you. If you feel comfortable with where you got in, pack your bags and go to law school. If you dont feel comfy with it, wait a year, retake if you choose to and make up your mind then. Finito.
Washington University School of Law 2010

AlphaBusey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 02:06:08 PM »
Did no one read my earlier response?  There is no better answer than that my friends.

I did, I just don't agree.  I pretty much never give concrete advice, as in "you need to do this, and this, etc." (unless it's to Johnny), because I think there's too many factors specific to the OP, or anyone else with a "What Should I Do?" type thread to really give them good advice like that.  Rather, I think it's more helpful to weigh out the pros and cons.  For instance, leading up to my choice at UVA, you could have debated the credentials of the various schools I was in at ad nauseum.  When I made my choice, it was based upon considerations that, to a decent degree, are seldom mentioned on this board.
UVA '10

My generation's for sale
Beats a steady job.
How much have you got?
Its hard to blame
Not even ourselves.
Its just like Diamonds

Boyce Baylor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 02:15:02 PM »
Thank you all for the outpouring of advice. I am not a person who usually gives much thought to things like ranking (I chose to go to a upper-middling Liberal Arts school over an Ivy for undergrad), but back then it was completely a matter of choice. This time, it is because I could not get in anywhere better. This doesn't sit well with me, so I've decided to follow what seems to be an amalgam of the various advice threads:

-put in my deposit
-hire a personal tutor whose exorbident fees will force me to study
-See where that leaves me.

Thanks again everybody.

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 02:21:26 PM »

I did, I just don't agree.  I pretty much never give concrete advice, as in "you need to do this, and this, etc." (unless it's to Johnny), because I think there's too many factors specific to the OP, or anyone else with a "What Should I Do?" type thread to really give them good advice like that.  Rather, I think it's more helpful to weigh out the pros and cons.  For instance, leading up to my choice at UVA, you could have debated the credentials of the various schools I was in at ad nauseum.  When I made my choice, it was based upon considerations that, to a decent degree, are seldom mentioned on this board.

Ehh, my advice leaves plenty of options open.  If OP sends in a deposit for his first choice school and signs up or LSATs in June, he does not close himself out of anything.

1) If he decides he wants to go to LS this year, great.  Cancel LSAT test.

2) If he takes LSAT and does much better and wants to go to a T14, great.  Reapply next year.

3) If he takes LSAT and regardless of performance realizes he would love to attend the school he sent in deposit to, great.  Time and money was spent, but at least OP knows he can proceed without regret.
USD 2010