Law School Discussion

Emory ASD

Re: Emory ASD
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2007, 06:20:04 PM »
wow, dennycrane, way to not address the substance of my post and instead make an irrelevant ad hominem attack. i intended my original post as an honest appraisal of what i found at emory's ASD. i don't think i was wildly off the mark, and i don't think i am particularly unrepresentative of a prospective law student who is choosing between schools. i'm not an elitist by any means; i merely have high standards for a law school to which i plan on giving 150k+ and which should provide me with a stimulating intellectual environment. i just didn't find the intellectual environment (as i was able to discern it) at emory from the ASD to be on par with Wash U's.

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2007, 06:38:24 PM »
wow, dennycrane, way to not address the substance of my post and instead make an irrelevant ad hominem attack.

I'll take the bait and address the subject of your post.  To be honest, I think the real flaw here is that there is no way to make an accurate determination of the "intellectual environment" at what was essentially a marketing pitch, during which you were able to meet only a small sample of people who may or may not comprise the class of 2010.  I would hazard a guess that you could have just as easily met a few different people at Emory who would have amazed you with their intellect.  Then you would have had a completely different experience and all of it would be because of pure chance and a small sample size.  When judging large groups of people, I like to look at the hard data.  Luckily, as prospective law school students we have a wealth of academic data to base our decisions on.  We can look at bar passage rates, LSAT scores, GPAs, etc.  To me, this information is far more helpful than anecdotal information gathered haphazardly.  Now, that data might show that WUSTL has slightly higher numbers in some catagories but I don't think the difference is enough to warrant the kind of judgement issued by your earlier post. 

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2007, 06:49:05 PM »
Deposit is in the mail.

My deposit is in the mail as well.  Hope to see you there this August.

Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2007, 08:06:36 PM »
people: it's not too hard to quickly discern a sense of the intellectual caliber of persons with whom you are speaking about topics related to law school academics, life, culture, etc.

It's harder than you think.

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2007, 08:18:05 PM »
people: it's not too hard to quickly discern a sense of the intellectual caliber of persons with whom you are speaking about topics related to law school academics, life, culture, etc.
It's harder than you think.

This is so simple, yet so true.  Honestly, it's one of those things that it takes some people a lifetime to realize.

Frescogear

• Michigan '06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2007, 09:07:24 PM »
My deposit is in the mail as well. I'm pretty certain I'll be heading to Emory this fall.  I wish I could have made it out to the ASD though.  Hope to see some of you this fall.

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2007, 09:18:02 PM »
any of you guys get to check out the neighborhoods or ATL itself? any thoughts on it?

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2007, 10:33:24 PM »
Did career services say anything on placement of Emory in the South Florida Legal market?

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2007, 01:23:30 AM »
Thanks to all of you that posted about the ASD so far!

I'm flying to Atlanta tomorrow and doing the tour, etc. on Wednesday, is there anything in particular I should ask/do/look for? I'm sending in my deposit too, and barring some strange events I'll be going there in the fall, so I don't wanna miss anything crucial in my short trip down there.

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2007, 06:19:29 AM »
any of you guys get to check out the neighborhoods or ATL itself? any thoughts on it?

I don't live there right now but I've been around enough to get a feel for a few areas. After the ASW I went a looked at some places in areas where I would like to live. For me, the best area would be VA Highlands: it isn't too far from the school, there are a few interesting vegetarian restuarants, shops, bars and coffee shops and there are lots of trees and hills. Plus there is a old "character" that is really nice. Midtown area is a little further out (although I guess VA/High can be part of Midtown?) and has a similar feel. Decatur is a little more suburban, but I still like it. I hear a lot about Buckhead being the "Beverly Hills" of the south, which was enough for me to know it's not what I'm looking for right now. Someone who lives in Atl can probablly fill you in more.

I'm looking to buy, so I can't speak about rental rates for any of these places. But I will say, buying a place is pretty cheap.