Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern (full-ride) vs. Harvard  (Read 3999 times)

JTcc

• Sr. Citizen
  • Such sweet sorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Northwestern (full-ride) vs. Harvard
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 05:38:27 PM »
Even if he's attempting to publish something non-legal like a sexy, post-apocalyptic pirate fantasy, having graduated from HLS will probably grease the printing press's wheels.  If he's going to attend ANY law school, it might as well be Harvard.
Wolverine '10

JTcc

• Sr. Citizen
  • Such sweet sorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 05:56:16 PM »
I would feel more comfortable pursuing an alternate career with an HJD and debt than a NUJD and a smile. 
Wolverine '10

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 06:40:13 PM »
Mufich chose a full ride at Northwestern over Harvard.
Columbia 3L

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 11:03:15 PM »
Christ.  I over-emphasized the writer thing.  Get off it everyone. 

Coming out with a poli-sci degree in undergrad leaves people seeing the law as a grand affair, and interested in working in public service/government. 

FORGET the "I'd like to be a writer eventually" thing.

NU full ride or HLS?

well eggy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dis well-important fing you iz heard ov call Justz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 11:10:34 PM »
(Almost) the (entire) purpose of going to law school is to become a lawyer.  People seem to forget that it is, after all, a professional school.

Never mind that it fancies itself something different.  Law school, by and large, produces lawyers, and not by mistake. 

If that's not at least (a good-sized) part of why he's going to law school, he should look elsewhere.

Thus, the question you pose is, I think, premature.

dougiefresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 11:24:09 PM »
I took the deferred NU $$ myself, but then again I didn't have to compare it to an HLS offer.  For someone that doesn't sound committed to the legal profession but is still interested, the NU deferred offer seems to fit better.  He'll have that year to find something he wants to do and see if he is happy there - if so he can stick to writing or whatever and just punt on the law school thing.  If he still wants to go, he'll have a full ride to a great school that can get him pretty much anywhere.  Does he know his aid offer from HLS yet?  If that is somewhat generous, HLS with some debt would probably be a solid bet - otherwise I'd say NU.
Air Flare - attending NU in Fall 2007

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 05:47:54 PM »
bump

mets2007

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 06:06:58 PM »
He should figure out whether he wants to be an attorney before he makes a decision. If he does, go to HLS. If he doesn't, then don't go to law school at all--he must be a talented fellow to be in the position he is, so I am sure he can find a nice job doing something else.

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 06:16:40 PM »
Basically, he needs to look at his goals.

Northwestern is a good enough school that he won't really be screwing himself by going there; if he has a lot of interests outside the law, he probably wouldn't be terribly happy working 80 hours a week at an super prestigious firm anyways, so he doesn't really *need* HLS.

That said, he might really *want* HLS.  If so, the money shouldn't matter, and he should go there.  This decision shouldn't really be based on the finances, rather on what will leave him most satisfied.  If he wants to go the biglaw route, he's already decided that his happiness over one year is worth 140-160K to him.  If he'll be happier going to HLS, then it's easily worth the cost in loans.

On re-reading, I feel like I'm saying he should ignore the scholarship;  I don't think that's the case, just that he should be basing his decision on whether or not to take it on other factors in addition to the debt.

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 06:22:53 PM »
Although it would be a dream to be able to attend HLS, I cannot overstate the significance of a FREE education at a school that's still in the top 14.  ESPECIALLY considering the fact that he's not sure if he wants to actually practice law or not.  With 150K in debt, he may end up with no choice but to practice law.

If it were between HLS and a tier-2 or 3, I'd say HLS.  In this case, I say NW, no question.
Albany Law School Class of 2010