Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Keeping a Chicago-Kent scholarship  (Read 725 times)

jds45

• View Profile
    • Email
Keeping a Chicago-Kent scholarship
« on: April 08, 2007, 01:34:39 PM »
Anyone know anything about Chicago-Kent's scholarship, which is contingent on maintaining a 3.25 gpa? How hard is it to keep up this gpa? How many people keep the scholarship for all 3 years? Does anyone know anyting about this school in general?

Rule of Reason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping a Chicago-Kent scholarship
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 06:29:54 PM »
http://www.kentlaw.edu/depts/acadadm/05fall/Grade_Distributions--By_Course_Type--Fall_2005.pdf

(see 1L courses row for grades in those classes)
Couldn't find the class rank/ percentiles stats, but a 3.25 probably equates to being around the top third of the class.

careplus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 10:02:21 PM »
i asked this same question to their admission people and they told me a 3.25 was about top 30%, as far as how many people actually keep them, i don't know, but according to the ABA numbers, 49% of first years got scholarships (it actually says grants and scholarships but i'm not exactly sure what the difference is, if any), so if only the top %30 of the class can keep them, at the very least 40% of the people who recieved them must lose them (but you can still get half of the scholarship if you keep above a 3.00 which i beleive to be about top 50% of class)

jds45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 10:10:01 PM »
Thank you, sir. Does anyone else have any info about law schools in general, and where a 3.25 would put you in most class rankings?

jds45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 01:02:01 PM »
The people at the school claim that that is top 1/3? Do you think they can be trusted? I've read some bad things about the people who run law schools.

Rule of Reason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 02:53:01 PM »
huh?

I'm sure it's about top third --- if you look up depaul and marquette, those are two schools who actually post their gpa / class rankings and their curves are similar --- I think having 3.0 at about 50% is standard --- not all schools have that curve but all of the ones I've seen have.

It fluctuates though with each class and by semester. I would think you still need to have the mentality of "ok so I need an avg of at least a B+ for all my classes" and not "ok so i need to make sure I'm doing better than every 2 out of 3 ppl"

(In spite of the correlation, you get the rank because of your grades; you don't get your grades because of your rank).