Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU IILJ or Stanford?  (Read 1773 times)

Whoday

• View Profile
    • Email
NYU IILJ or Stanford?
« on: April 08, 2007, 11:23:11 AM »
I got into the IILJ scholars program a couple weeks ago and am thrilled.  This week, however, I got in to Stanford.  Should I even consider Stanford?

I am positive that I want to do international law. NYU has a much larger intíl law course selection/faculty and the IILJ program looks great, but at Stanford I think it would be more unique to do international law.  I am about 99% sure that I will go with NYU, but I want to think through the decision.  Oh yeah, I have to respond to NYU within about a week so I wonít have the chance to visit Stanford.

Thoughts?

I realize how ridiculous this is and am frankly shocked that I have such a choice.

dimrod80

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: NYU IILJ or Stanford?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 11:41:42 AM »
NYU for sure.  It is #1 in International Law and the fact that you'll be in a prestigious program is something you'll have on your resume and bio forever.  The only reason I'd think to choose Stanford would be if they offered you $$$.  On the flipside, it wouldn't hurt to leverage your stanford acceptance with NYU to get more $$$ from them. 

civicsclass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 12:46:10 PM »
I don't know - the international law pamphlet Stanford sent me looks pretty incredible - lists 7 different programs within their international law program, everything from "Stanford Center on International Conflict and Negotiation" to "Center on Democracy, Development, and the Rule of Law" to "Program on Energy and Sustainable Development."  They've also got a pretty extensive course list, joint degree offerings in International Policy Studies and various Area Studies, and some awesome concentrations.  The thing about Stanford is that everything is just a little bit smaller, because the student body is significantly smaller.  However, I think Stanford is hands-down a more prestigious place, especially among people a generation older than us who will be doing our hiring, regardless of what U.S. News and World Report says!  NYU still might be the right place for you, but I think it's a tough call.  Any way you can get an extension on putting down your NYU deposit? 

baytostay

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 02:50:06 AM »
As a 1L who was in your position a year ago and chose Stanford over NYU, I've got to say go with Stanford.  I couldn't be happier with my decision.  SLS is smaller, which means you get one on one mentoring from even the most superstar profs.  If you are into international law, you can be a research assistant or teaching assistant for someone like Allen Weiner.  You can get any Int'l law job you want, and you'll have less competition from your fellow students. I have 1L friends who are working this summer for NGOs doing international development in China, The International Criminal Tribunal for Rawanda, and for the UN in Vienna. That's just off the top of my head. We just snagged Barbara Olshansky, who will be revamping the International Clinic next year (currently, students go to Ghana). Best of all, you can actually get into this clinic, because unlike at NYU, you pretty much have your pick of whatever.  You can take International Human Rights with Helen Stacy--or whatever electives--as a 1L. You will know the OCS and Public Interest International Career counselors by name and they will know you--and every job you have applied to.  You just can't get that type of personalized and intimate education at a bigger school. You won't regret coming to Stanford. 

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 10:37:17 AM »
I'd go with Stanford as well.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 10:53:04 AM »
Without BIG money from Stanford, I'd go with NYU.  Stanford is just not that strong in international law, and it's what you want to do for sure.  And you've got a FREE RIDE in a very impressive program at NYU.  And if you're more interested in Europe than Asia, I think you're going to find that Stanford does not have much of a name abroad.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Drew P. Bottom

• Sr. Citizen
  • You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 06:09:48 PM »
I would probably have to say NYU. Full ride is HUGE. People need to realize that sometimes.
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -- James Madison

Diecisiete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 01:14:44 AM »
tag
CLS 2L

ImpactPlayer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 01:31:44 AM »
Go to Stanford!

The Professor of Parody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 02:29:01 AM »
The IILJ scholarship is full tuition? Take it. Seriously. At best Stanford gets you marginally better opportunities, and whether that's even the case is debatable, while being debt free means you can take whatever position you want without worrying about the money.