Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UT 2L Taking Qs  (Read 6868 times)

Life During Wartime

• View Profile
Re: UT 2L Taking Qs
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 05:02:59 PM »
"What is the section size?"

About 120 (was smaller pre-Katrina).  For your class it should be under 110.

"I know you have a small (25-30 person) class in the fall...did you find that the Small Group program was helpful as a 1L?"

Yes.  My small group class was sweet.  The professors really seem to enjoy teaching them and they tend to be more engaging and less formal than the large classes.  Everyone I know was pretty into their small group, irrespective of the subject matter or professor.

This might be a good time to explain how the section, society, small group thing works (hope you don't mind if I stray from your question).  I assume everyone knows that first year there's a set curriculum and you have all your classes with a certain group of students called you "section."  So, at UT there are four sections and each is divided into two societies (about 50-60 people).  Each society is in turn divided into two "mentor groups" (25-30 people).  Your mentor group (it's a terrible name - they should change it to "crew" or something) sort of functions as the equivalent of your freshman year floor in college.  Your mentor (a 2L or 3L) organizes events and sh*t, he or she is sort like an RA (if you think these college metaphors sound lame, remember that LS is more like high school (or middle school) than anything else).  Your mentor group will be the same as your small-class group and your intramural sports team (flag football, basketball, and softball).  Some of best friends here are from my mentor group, but I also have plents of friends who weren't in my sectio - there are lots of ways to meet people.  Again, it really is like your freshman year floor.  You all hang out together for the first semester and go to all the Bar Reviews (every Thursday, usually someplace downton), then you start, you know, making actual friends or whatever.   

As for your society - you have a faculty advisor and there are nicer type events (booze cruise, BBQ pilgrimage, etc.).  Usually you do some community service project or something like that.  You can play sports with them your second and third year.  They'll put a tab at one of the coffee houses during finals and there will occasionally be bar tabs.  Your society is also the same as your Legal Writing and Research Class.

"Also, have you had difficulty (now as a 2L) getting the classes you want?"

In general, no.  There was some gripping last semester about there not being enough professional responsibility classes.  That seems to have been fixed.  That being said, the especially popular classes do fill up, as do the choicest seminars - so you need to prioritize some.

Life During Wartime

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007, 05:15:21 PM »
"Know any tricks to bump yourself to the front of the class registration queue?  :)"

I'm working on it...

Drew P. Bottom

• Sr. Citizen
  • You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2007, 06:05:09 PM »
Do you have any specific apartment recommendations? I am looking for a 1/1 (or 2.1) because I will be living with my wife. I am particularly interested in Far West but anywhere close to UT Shuttle could be considered.

Have you considered renting a 1/1 or 2/1 duplex in Hyde Park or North Campus?  You should be able to get something for about the same price you'd pay in Far West, and you'd be right on a bus line and a lot closer to campus and downtown (decreasing the chance that you'd have to deal with commuter traffic on a regular basis).

Yeah, Far West has a shuttle right next to the apartments I was looking at about every 5-10 minutes. But do you have any specific places in that area I should look at? I just think for me finding specific places based on general areas is not the easiest thing to do...
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -- James Madison

Life During Wartime

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 06:11:54 PM »
Ah, I see.  I'm really sorry, but I can't remember the names of any of the places I looked at over there (I decided to live in North Campus).

I think this is the apartment finding service I used: http://www.ausapt.com/

Generally, their recommendations were good and they refused to show me some places because the management sucked or they were secretly shitholes (from what I heard from people who lived in those places, the warnings were largely correct).

Other than that, I really don't know - I don't have any friends who live out there or anything. 

ElectricalStorm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 02:49:21 AM »
Plenty of places to live out in Far West, but most of my friends who live out there are looking to move closer to campus because they are tired of getting up early to take the shuttle to campus and being so far away from the "action". Though, I should also say that those I know with spouses do tend to be out in Far West. However, I would still suggest taking a look at the houses/condos in the North Campus/Hyde Park area, especially if you are looking for a place to stay all three years.
UT 1L

Nasche

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-Tar for ASWs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 10:26:42 AM »
You are tagged.
Attending: UT.
Accepted: BC, BU ($$), Emory ($$$), Fordham ($), U. Iowa, Notre Dame ($$), USC ($$), UT, Tulane ($$$$)
Waitlisted: Columbia, Duke, Michigan, UCLA

chlorinated

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 10:47:38 AM »
Plenty of places to live out in Far West, but most of my friends who live out there are looking to move closer to campus because they are tired of getting up early to take the shuttle to campus and being so far away from the "action". Though, I should also say that those I know with spouses do tend to be out in Far West. However, I would still suggest taking a look at the houses/condos in the North Campus/Hyde Park area, especially if you are looking for a place to stay all three years.

I agree completely.  I'd add the neighborhoods just east of 35, too - French Place/Cherrywood to the Hyde Park/North Loop/North Campus cluster. 

These are all great neighborhoods, and it is still quite possible to find good deals.

Here are a couple of places to look:

www.eyesoftexasproperties.com
http://investinaustin.net/for_lease.htm

and Craig's List is a great place to look, too.
Tulane Class of 2010?

Drew P. Bottom

• Sr. Citizen
  • You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 09:16:14 PM »
I thought of another one!

How does it work when teachers call out a student for the class in Socratic method? Is there any warning? Or could it just happen to you absolutely any day?

I remember hearing at Georgetown that you had a set of 10 or so days where it could be you.

ALSO: How do you know which books are required for your classes ahead of time? Everyone said you save money buying them online. I just wanted to know how people knew which ones to get.
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -- James Madison

uesi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2007, 11:02:30 PM »
How hard is it to get a 1L summer biglaw job? People always consider scholarships when choosing a school, but the 1L job is worth 30k pre-tax.

Are there any specific areas in which it is easier to get a biglaw job? Tax? IP?

Life During Wartime

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2007, 11:41:42 PM »
"How does it work when teachers call out a student for the class in Socratic method? Is there any warning? Or could it just happen to you absolutely any day?"

Depends entirely on the class.  For some of my classes, no one is ever on call.  For others, everyone is always on call.  The most sadistic method that I know of is Prof. Gergen's for Contracts.  Apparently, he has a stack of index cards with everyone's name and picture on it.  He shuffles it right before class and then just calls on whoever's card het turns up.  Most professors will divide up the class into three or so groups - so you're only on call once a week.  Also, in general, once you've been called on you won't get called on again until the professor has gone through everyone else in your group or in the class.

"ALSO: How do you know which books are required for your classes ahead of time? Everyone said you save money buying them online. I just wanted to know how people knew which ones to get."

Your professor should send you a syllabus within a week or so of the first class.  You can also buy used books to save money if can't find them online or don't have time to order them.