Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UT 2L Taking Qs  (Read 6813 times)

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
Re: UT 2L Taking Qs
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 11:20:34 PM »
I want to try them all out!
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

Life During Wartime

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 11:21:59 PM »
"Do they have suggestions for which laptops to buy? If they don't, do you?"

As far as I know the school does not suggest a particular model.  I don't really think it makes a difference, now that you can run Extegrity (exam taking software) on Macs.  Just make sure the program is compatible with whatever operating system you're running and you should be fine with whatever.

Life During Wartime

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 11:25:39 PM »
"Favorite bar?"

Crown & Anchor is the unofficial law school bar.  I like the Deville downtown if I'm going to have anything other than beer by the pitcher.  Emo's is great for indie rock and stuff like that.  Peacock Lounge is good if you want the East Austin experience.

magnuts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 11:31:39 PM »
how many transfers UT normally takes? is there a preponderating majority of transfers coming out of other Texas schools? I am going to UH, but if I do well, say, 10%, better to stay or try to transfer to UT for the prospect of Houston big law? Thanks.

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 11:32:04 PM »
Are you a guy?  Is there a good ratio of toilets to urinals in the bathrooms?

Life During Wartime

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 11:42:22 PM »
"how many transfers UT normally takes?"

Dunno.  10?

"is there a preponderating majority of transfers coming out of other Texas schools?"

The only person I know who tranferred in came from Tech.

"I am going to UH, but if I do well, say, 10%, better to stay or try to transfer to UT for the prospect of Houston big law?"

If you want big law in Houston and you are at the top 10% of your class at UH it probably doesn't make a difference whether you transfer or not - you're in great shape for a good job in Houston with stats like that at UH.  Plus, you have a good shot at Houston Law Review and it's really tough to get on the Texas Law Review as a transfer.  It would be a different story if you didn't want to stay in Houston.

Drew P. Bottom

• Sr. Citizen
  • You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 02:23:48 PM »
Do you have any specific apartment recommendations? I am looking for a 1/1 (or 2.1) because I will be living with my wife. I am particularly interested in Far West but anywhere close to UT Shuttle could be considered.
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -- James Madison

ndpearman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 02:33:53 PM »
What is the section size? I know you have a small (25-30 person) class in the fall...did you find that the Small Group program was helpful as a 1L?

Also, have you had difficulty (now as a 2L) getting the classes you want?

chlorinated

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 03:00:42 PM »
Do you have any specific apartment recommendations? I am looking for a 1/1 (or 2.1) because I will be living with my wife. I am particularly interested in Far West but anywhere close to UT Shuttle could be considered.

Have you considered renting a 1/1 or 2/1 duplex in Hyde Park or North Campus?  You should be able to get something for about the same price you'd pay in Far West, and you'd be right on a bus line and a lot closer to campus and downtown (decreasing the chance that you'd have to deal with commuter traffic on a regular basis).
Tulane Class of 2010?

Life During Wartime

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 04:40:31 PM »
"Do you have any specific apartment recommendations? I am looking for a 1/1 (or 2.1) because I will be living with my wife. I am particularly interested in Far West but anywhere close to UT Shuttle could be considered."

I'm not super knowledgeable about this.  Far West is cool, I looked at some nice apartments there.  But it's a good distance from campus.  That might be a good thing though if it helps you leave your work at school (which I'm sure you're wife will appreciate).  I think the UT shuttle runs all over Austin.  I'd stay away from West Campus.  That's where the undergrads live and the few people I know who live over there have had to put up with some pretty ridiculous high jinks.  Look into Terrytown and the South Congress area.  With two people you might be able to rent a small house in East Austin or Hyde Park - if you can afford it, I think that's the way to go, but it can be tough to find something like that in a weekend of looking or remotely.