Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UT 2L Taking Qs  (Read 6735 times)

Life During Wartime

• View Profile
UT 2L Taking Qs
« on: April 08, 2007, 04:08:51 AM »
Before tonight, I hadn't looked at this board since I applied to LS long ago (I just reponded to a bunch of threads about UT, if you're wondering why they're all bunched together).  I came here over a some more highly ranked schools (mostly to save $$) and it has worked out well for me.

It's probably a little late in the game to answer questions about where to go, but ask 'em if you got 'em.

Life During Wartime

• View Profile
Re: UT 2L Taking Qs
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 04:25:51 AM »
I'm in state.  I'm also working in California this summer.

I came into Texas pretty skeptical as to how it placed out of state.  With that as my baseline, I was amazed by how well people did at OCI.  I was roughly top 20% and I got multiple offers at in NYC, DC, and CA.  In general, this is how it shakes out for CA, as far as I can tell:

For MTO and Irell, you need to be top 10%/LR, but that's true not matter what law school you go to.

Top quarter will give you a good shot a pretty much all the top firms, though O'Melveny can be a little snobbier.

Top third will give you a very good shot at the big three in SF (Orrick, Heller, and MoFo).

Top half (plus connections to CA) puts you strongly in the running for a market job in CA.

My general view is that if you don't make the top half here, BIGLAW is probably not for you.  It's just not that hard to make the median here.

My only caveat is that I know one guy from SoCal who hates Austin - not everyone loves it here, but most people do.  If you haven't come for a visit, you should try to.

Does this basically tell you what you want to know?

Life During Wartime

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 04:28:17 AM »
P.S. The self-selection thing is real.  I didn't believe it either when I came here.  But you'd be amazed by how many out of state people with top grades turn down presitgious firms in NYC and the like to stay in Austin.

Life During Wartime

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 04:51:40 AM »
"It actually gives me more information than I know what to do with right now ( :-[ )

Takeaway message, top 50% = portability. Me likey."

Yeah, pretty much.  I mean, the portability issue is kind of a red hearing.  People in CA know UT is a good school.  Even if you make bad grades, it's not going to keep you from getting a job there.  It'll just affect the kind of job you can get, like any other law school.

Drew P. Bottom

• Sr. Citizen
  • You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 03:16:48 PM »
How many people are able to find good federal level government jobs? Do any government agencies come and interview on campus? What about other not BIGLAW options?
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -- James Madison

viktorvaughn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 04:16:58 PM »
I'm glad to hear you say it's not hard to make the median. About how much studying do you do, on average?

How competitive are the students?

What about law review or student journals? Are you on any or do you know anyone on them? Any tips?

Lastly, have you noticed students using Macs for exams? Do you know of any compatibility issues?

Thanks.

Life During Wartime

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 04:41:53 PM »
"How many people are able to find good federal level government jobs? Do any government agencies come and interview on campus? What about other not BIGLAW options?"

I turnd down and offer to work at an U.S. Attorney's Office in CA for 1L summer (took a firm job instead), got the offer after a phone interview, guy never looked at my grades and basically just thought I had gave good answers to his questions and thought UT was a good school.  I interviewed with the State Department and SEC during OCI.  I think the Federal Reserve, the IRS, and the Commerce Department also came in the fall.  DOJ usually shows up during public interest recruiting - that's kind of a different beast with the Honors Program (you apply in the fall of your 3L year) so I don't know as much about it.  I think the SEC does the honors program thing, too.  There's a decent sized U.S. Attorney's branch office here in Austin and a lot of people work there during the year or over the summer.   That's about all I cam tell about federal goverment.  There are definitely opportunities...

As far as other non BIGLAW stuff, there are a lot of smaller firms in the Austin area.  Some of them do cool stuff like public interest environmental litigation, if that interests you.  Obviously there are plenty of opportunities in state goverment.  UT does a pretty good job at supporting 1Ls who want to do public interest work over the summer and there are more than enough options both here in Texas and in other places as well.  The downside (and they say they're going to fix this) is that as of now there is no loan forgiveness program for people who do PI. 

Texas also has an oustanding clinical program. At one point this year we had 75% of the Supreme Court docket (3 out of the first 4 cases they accepted).  The Death Penalty Clinic goes to the Supreme Court pretty regularly.  We have a Supreme Court clinic that, naturally, works on Supreme Court cases.  Also, there are a bunch of students working with a prof. representing Guatanamo detainees (they have the case where the Court denied cert last week).  There's also clinics for immigration, domestic violence, actual innocence, all that good stuff.

Does that basically answer your question?

Life During Wartime

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 04:55:17 PM »
"I'm glad to hear you say it's not hard to make the median. About how much studying do you do, on average?"

Depends.  I'm more of a have fun in the beginning of the semester then sequester myself in the library for a month type of person.  If you space out your work over seven days it's like two or three hours a day.  If you want your weekends completely free it's more like 3 or 4, depending on your classes and how you work.  Those estimates are at the high end, but I don't want to promise anyone that they won't have to work hard their first year.  It really pays to bust your ass no matter where you got to school.

"How competitive are the students?"

Not at all.  In one the threads about the ASW someone was saying that they were a little turned off my some of the students because they didn't seem, how to put this, like their ability was commensurate the school's reputation or something.  I can see why he/she found that odd, but I think one of the best things about going here is the range of backgrounds and ambitions.  Some people just want to go home to Louisiana and some people want to be SCOTUS clerks or whatever.  It's just nice that not everyone is gunning for the same sh*t, you know? 

"What about law review or student journals? Are you on any or do you know anyone on them? Any tips?"

There are about fifteen million journals at UT.  Yes, I'm on one and so is just about everyone I know.  As far as tips for making a LR or a good journal, pay attention in Legal Research and Writing, work hard, if you make good grades your first semester don't rest on your laurels and work even harder second semester.  As far as which journal to choose if you don't make LR, I'm partial to my own of course.  Come back and ask in a year or so.

"Lastly, have you noticed students using Macs for exams? Do you know of any compatibility issues?"

My first year macs were not compatible with the exam software but they are now.  Lots of people have macs.

Thanks."
[/quote]

Drew P. Bottom

• Sr. Citizen
  • You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 10:58:25 PM »
"How many people are able to find good federal level government jobs? Do any government agencies come and interview on campus? What about other not BIGLAW options?"

I turnd down and offer to work at an U.S. Attorney's Office in CA for 1L summer (took a firm job instead), got the offer after a phone interview, guy never looked at my grades and basically just thought I had gave good answers to his questions and thought UT was a good school.  I interviewed with the State Department and SEC during OCI.  I think the Federal Reserve, the IRS, and the Commerce Department also came in the fall.  DOJ usually shows up during public interest recruiting - that's kind of a different beast with the Honors Program (you apply in the fall of your 3L year) so I don't know as much about it.  I think the SEC does the honors program thing, too.  There's a decent sized U.S. Attorney's branch office here in Austin and a lot of people work there during the year or over the summer.   That's about all I cam tell about federal goverment.  There are definitely opportunities...

As far as other non BIGLAW stuff, there are a lot of smaller firms in the Austin area.  Some of them do cool stuff like public interest environmental litigation, if that interests you.  Obviously there are plenty of opportunities in state goverment.  UT does a pretty good job at supporting 1Ls who want to do public interest work over the summer and there are more than enough options both here in Texas and in other places as well.  The downside (and they say they're going to fix this) is that as of now there is no loan forgiveness program for people who do PI. 

Texas also has an oustanding clinical program. At one point this year we had 75% of the Supreme Court docket (3 out of the first 4 cases they accepted).  The Death Penalty Clinic goes to the Supreme Court pretty regularly.  We have a Supreme Court clinic that, naturally, works on Supreme Court cases.  Also, there are a bunch of students working with a prof. representing Guatanamo detainees (they have the case where the Court denied cert last week).  There's also clinics for immigration, domestic violence, actual innocence, all that good stuff.

Does that basically answer your question?

Yes you did. Great detailed answer, thanks.

Also, other question. Do they have suggestions for which laptops to buy? If they don't, do you?
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -- James Madison

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 11:12:48 PM »
Favorite bar?
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.