Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How are you people feeling about taking the LSAT without timers now?  (Read 2725 times)

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How are you people feeling about taking the LSAT without timers now?
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 03:33:30 PM »
FWIW, I would be annoyed if they told me I couldn't use a mechanical pencil. Seriously, WTF? I can understand the no digital timers rule, but what kind of distraction does a mechanical pencil pose?

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 03:47:18 PM »
FWIW, I would be annoyed if they told me I couldn't use a mechanical pencil. Seriously, WTF? I can understand the no digital timers rule, but what kind of distraction does a mechanical pencil pose?

Would be annoyed?

http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=/lsac/changing-news.asp#New_LSAT_Regulations

Items permitted in the test room. Tests takers may bring into the room only a clear plastic ziplock bag, maximum size one gallon (3.79 liter), which must be stored under the chair and may be accessed only during the break. The ziplock bag may contain only the following items: LSAT Admission Ticket stub; valid ID; wallet; keys; hygiene products; #2 or HB pencils, highlighter, erasers, pencil sharpener (no mechanical pencils); tissues; beverage in plastic container or juice box (20 oz./591 ml maximum size) and snack for break only.

Yeah would be annoyed because they changed the rules after I took the test twice.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 05:20:48 PM »
Love 'em, they're like little pieces of hummingbirds being thrown at my head.

too bad.  at lsat, it mostly tuba music.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 05:22:13 PM »

you could have radio transmitter in it.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 08:43:06 AM »
Wow...if not using a mechanical pencil threw you off so much that you lost points because of it, you are way to high strung and uptight.  A pencil is a pencil is a pencil.  It has lead, there's an eraser, you write with it.

Law school - hell, being a LAWYER - doesn't always go the way you planned; if you have mini-meltdowns for something like a PENCIL I pity the law firm or client that hires you.

Noooo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 10:32:44 AM »
Wow...if not using a mechanical pencil threw you off so much that you lost points because of it, you are way to high strung and uptight.  A pencil is a pencil is a pencil.  It has lead, there's an eraser, you write with it.

Law school - hell, being a LAWYER - doesn't always go the way you planned; if you have mini-meltdowns for something like a PENCIL I pity the law firm or client that hires you.

This is harsh.  By the time a person is ready to sit for the LSAT, they may have been using mechanical pencils for 10+ years.  Lots of people have probably never once encountered a situation where they couldn't use a mechanical pencil.  And given the stress generated by LSAT prep and taking the LSAT, having to deal with rules that feel arbitrary are not the simplest thing to do for everyone.

Being a lawyer may not goes as you planned, but show me a law firm that wouldn't allow its associates to use mechanical pencils if they so prefer. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 06:58:08 PM »

This is harsh.  By the time a person is ready to sit for the LSAT, they may have been using mechanical pencils for 10+ years.  Lots of people have probably never once encountered a situation where they couldn't use a mechanical pencil.  And given the stress generated by LSAT prep and taking the LSAT, having to deal with rules that feel arbitrary are not the simplest thing to do for everyone.

Being a lawyer may not goes as you planned, but show me a law firm that wouldn't allow its associates to use mechanical pencils if they so prefer. 

A law firm may allow its attorneys to use mechanical pencils, but that's not the point.  The point is this:  If this person is so set in their ways and so dependent upon a detail THIS minor, so much so that their performance noticably suffers, what's going to happen when some other detail goes wrong?  What's going to happen if the OP takes notes in court on a specific brand of legal pad with a specific type of pen, and while taking notes on a direct examination, he or she discovers that they can't find their pen.  Are they going to melt down, and not be able to focus on answers, which would then lead to a deficient cross examination?

The point is that if small details, like the type of pencil you use to fill in bubbles, causes a noticable issue, then then that's a rather significant issue that has the possibility of causes serious problems in other aspects of law school and lawyering.  If I was an employer or a client, I wouldn't want this person doing anything more than maybe proof reading my documents.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 09:43:43 PM »
It's one thing to have a preference.  It's entirely different to have those preferences control your life.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2007, 11:17:04 PM »
If you're so thrown off b/c you can't use a specific type of pencil to bubble in answers that it detrimentally affects your score, then that's pretty controlling.

BriGuy1818

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2007, 05:55:25 PM »
this might sound crazy but anyone ever think of wearing earplugs