Law School Discussion

How are you people feeling about taking the LSAT without timers now?

I have already taken the LSAT, and one of the reasons I decided to just apply anyway without retaking, was I did not want to deal with taking the test without a timer.  How are you people dealing with this? I just think it stinks that they are making the LSAT harder than it already has to be.

iSalute

• Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
Re: How are you people feeling about taking the LSAT without timers now?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 09:42:21 PM »
I didn't use a times when I took it anyways.

LizPendens™

• The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 10:02:32 PM »
i'm using this one

Stonehenge Watch

Saturn

• Spinning in my own rings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 10:26:30 PM »
Panic. I hope my watch doesn't quit on the exam. I'm no good at reading the angles of light in a classroom through the window to get the time.

kirps

• Why don't you burn in hell?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 10:47:55 AM »
I'm not only concerned about the no digital thing (I will admit it, it takes me longer to mentally process the analog) and the fact that I have to count up instead of down (again, just the way my brain works). But there are a number of other regulations i.e. no more mechanical pencils...I use mechanical pencils exclusively. I am actually convinced I lost three to four points on my last LSAT because I used a different mechanical pencil on test day for the first section. Beyond all of that. I am concerned about the NEW SECTION TYPE! All in all, reading comp is pretty easy for me, but I don't like the idea of being a guinea pig for a new type as well as having to go in with a dearth of available practice material. I think LSAC is publishing like one section. It's never appeared on another test so there is nothing to go off. I suppose Kaplan and TM etc. will have to generate some of their own sections but I doubt I'll be taking a test course.

Bottom line is I was hoping to bump myself up into the 170 range, but its a total crap shoot now, because its a different and somewhat unknown test. And with most schools averaging scores, you run a pretty good risk of lowering your application score.

I would like to see what these changes do to the median scores for this test. I bet they are significantly lower than past years.

Freak out OUT.

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 09:49:45 PM »
I'm not only concerned about the no digital thing (I will admit it, it takes me longer to mentally process the analog) and the fact that I have to count up instead of down (again, just the way my brain works). But there are a number of other regulations i.e. no more mechanical pencils...I use mechanical pencils exclusively. I am actually convinced I lost three to four points on my last LSAT because I used a different mechanical pencil on test day for the first section. Beyond all of that. I am concerned about the NEW SECTION TYPE! All in all, reading comp is pretty easy for me, but I don't like the idea of being a guinea pig for a new type as well as having to go in with a dearth of available practice material. I think LSAC is publishing like one section. It's never appeared on another test so there is nothing to go off. I suppose Kaplan and TM etc. will have to generate some of their own sections but I doubt I'll be taking a test course.

Bottom line is I was hoping to bump myself up into the 170 range, but its a total crap shoot now, because its a different and somewhat unknown test. And with most schools averaging scores, you run a pretty good risk of lowering your application score.

I would like to see what these changes do to the median scores for this test. I bet they are significantly lower than past years.

Freak out OUT.

geez man, i looked at your LSN profile, and congrats on your acceptances, but some of the schools that waitlisted you seem absurd!  American U also waitlisted me, but I have the same GPA than you, but 11 points lower on the LSAT! They must be on friggin crack or something to waitlist someone like you. Same with BC, although it's not as dramatic as American, it seems like you should have gotten into BC also with that LSAT.I guess applying late does make that much of a difference.  :-\

kirps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 06:50:01 PM »
Yeah, I got the most obscene case of writer's block ever when it came to the PS. As such I got delayed. I really wasn't expecting that much WL action. Oddly enough I'm still waiting to hear from Duke, which was the first app I put out.

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 07:05:37 PM »
btw if it takes you longer to read analog just set it at 12 at the beginning of each section... then you'll be able to see how much time as passed without having to do the quick calculation in your head.  unless lsac is monitoring how you use your analog watch as well.

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 10:23:46 PM »
btw if it takes you longer to read analog just set it at 12 at the beginning of each section... then you'll be able to see how much time as passed without having to do the quick calculation in your head.  unless lsac is monitoring how you use your analog watch as well.

I like!

kirps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 10:50:43 PM »
[rejack]
Yup, I have kind of had an epiphany during the cycle and I pretty much want to either go to University of Washington or a Top 14 because I very much want to work in Seattle. Law isn't a dream for me, its another set of likely interesting schooling and a chance at more money etc. I don't have a dream job, never have, so they are all a matter of necessary evil. If I can get more money with little or no downside, great. But I am not going to take on the 90k in debt if I can't make the big bucks in the market I want to provide the appropriate cash flow.
[/rejack]