Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it OK to ask for a letter of recommendation in this situation?  (Read 846 times)

big12fanatic18

• View Profile
    • Email
I took a lecture class that had sections, and the Professor of my class was the TA. I didn't really develop a great relationship with him (I went in to his office once, maybe a couple of email exchanges). The class had two papers, and he wrote great comments (Truly outstanding, top-flight work, etc.

First: Is it acceptable to ask a professor for a letter of recommendation in this instance -- i.e. where you received positive comments on your papers, but didn't really have a good relationship with the Professor? Have others here done this and gotten OK results?

Second: I want to apply to Top-14 schools; will it hurt me to have a letter of rec from a professor who has only taught me in what, from my transcript, is obviously a large lecture course? Will this set off some sort of red-flag?

tyia.

ThePendulum

• View Profile
Re: Is it OK to ask for a letter of recommendation in this situation?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 07:22:44 PM »
It's not ideal. First of all, a letter from a TA is likely not treated with the same gravitas as a professor.

Second of all, the letter will definetly lack the personal touch and tone that you'd get from someone who really knows you personally.

Of course, if you're about to graduate, and you haven't made any close connections with profs, I guess you're up the creek without a paddle, and this may be the best option left? But otherwise, I'd focus on professors who you've had in seminars and who you've made an impression on.

big12fanatic18

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is it OK to ask for a letter of recommendation in this situation?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 01:00:29 PM »
I think there is some confusion; the Professor of my class WAS my TA. He chose to lead some of the discussion sections in addition to serving as the lecturer for the course.