Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Williamsburg apartments?  (Read 480 times)

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
Best Williamsburg apartments?
« on: April 06, 2007, 04:54:17 PM »
I know there are some Williamsburg natives on this board. What are the nicest apartments in the area? As someone who's originally from DC, I'm guessing I can take any rent price Williamsburg could possibly have. I thought I had found one that was good, but then I found quite a few bad online reviews. I found one that has good online reviews but it doesn't have what for me is the most important amenity (available covered parking). I'm not concerned with knowing what has what amenities, I can figure that out, I just need someone to point me in the direction of the best places.
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

NovaMV41

• View Profile
Re: Best Williamsburg apartments?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 04:27:12 PM »
im guessing he meant williamsburg, va, not the brooklyn neighborhood  :)
Fordham '10

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 10:20:48 PM »
Yes, I'm talking about the one in Virginia. And I'm originally from DC so Williamsburg in Brooklyn rents don't really phase me to be honest. I looked at 4 places today (easter break, decided to go up). 3 seemed good, but somehow I get the feeling that there are skeletons in the closet, I don't know. I know one of them I found from reviews online is aparently fine except for the fact that it neighbors bad communities (even a review recommending it said it's quiet except for surrounding communities). None of these places have that niceness of say an apartment in Friendship Heights, MD, but their rents are pretty close even though the area should have much lower rents than a part of MD that borders DC, it's kinda weird. I also wonder why nobody builds a high-rise apartment/condo.
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
(3.23 169)

ElectricalStorm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 03:00:34 AM »
I personally suggest calling up Lawson Enterprises who own/manage a handful of complexes in the area. The units aren't the most modern by any means, but the management was really responsive, nice, and accomodating. Also as a plus, at least in my complex, they allowed you to pay only half-rent if you were gone for the summer.
UT 1L

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 08:07:17 AM »
I wonder what would posses a company to have no website whatsoever, not even pictures on a rent.com listing or something of that nature. I don't suppose you remember if any of them had private garages, do you?
(3.23 169)

ElectricalStorm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 07:52:57 PM »
I can't think of any Williamsburg management companies with websites - there is just enough demand to justify going without. The two Lawson places I was familiar with did not have private garages, but I can't speak for the others. I actually don't recall seeing any apartments in the city itself with private garages, so you may have to upgrade to a condo/house or head further out of town.
UT 1L

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 12:03:57 AM »
I can't think of any Williamsburg management companies with websites - there is just enough demand to justify going without. The two Lawson places I was familiar with did not have private garages, but I can't speak for the others. I actually don't recall seeing any apartments in the city itself with private garages, so you may have to upgrade to a condo/house or head further out of town.

Yeah, the places I mentioned all have private garages available (though for the Montecello I'd have to get a 2 bedroom or larger.
All of the ones just outside of williamsburg seem to have websites, or at least pictures on rent or apartments.com. Though yeah, they're all like 3 miles from the school, though it looks like that's what I have to do to get a garage.
(3.23 169)