Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hispanics are NOT Minorites  (Read 7044 times)

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
Re: Hispanics are NOT Minorites
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2007, 07:25:59 AM »
Man, you're a walking failure.

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2007, 03:08:39 AM »
well good thing i was sitting down when i called your lame assss out...loser! ha
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2007, 02:45:56 PM »
wow this thread went nowhere fast...princeyanni why can't there be more cute guys like you at my school?? why??

Anyways I will walk into your non-baited trap.

My GPA was a 3.7 and I had a LSAT of 155. I literally had to call admissions and beg every week to find about moving up waitlist status. Finally I gave up in early August, called and asked about re-applying for fall 2007. The woman I was talking just happened to be the assistant dean of admissions. She pulled my file and listened to me explain that I would reapply and retake the LSAT to get in because I only wanted to go to Santa Clara {live in the area and don't want to move}. I got accepted that day. So my URM status did not make admissions a sure thing. I think I got in because of dumb luck + they didn't want to have look over my application again.

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2007, 09:18:30 PM »
coquita-

3.7 and 155 that is pretty solid.  my gpa is terrible, although i have reasons for it i never laid down a single excuse.  i kinda like my 2.5....its a badge of courage haha

anyways, thanks for the compliment and good luck at santa clara!

im headed either down to miami or ohio---i can't decide!!
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2007, 03:30:13 PM »
And here' why, for the purposes of law school admissions, Latinos should not be considered "minorities. Law schools these days are blasting about globalizing legal education, translational law classes, and how the entire nature of law school education has changed and will continue to do so. Enter American born Hispanics.

Many, and I do not speak for all, but many speak English and Spanish fluently, and consequently are able to hook onto a third language at a relatively young age, be it Mandarin, French, whatever. Think about that for a moment. A student who speaks Spanish, French, and English fluently? You are talking about the entire Americas from top to bottom (French in Canada to Spanish in Tierra del Fuego). Not to mention the language of the European Union and Spain to boot. Not too shabby.

Enter typical white American from, lets just say, the working class suburbs of Philadelphia (Read, NOT the rich suburbs). The kid struggles to speak coherently in  Spanish or any foreign language, but maintains same if not better academic performance in college. Guess what? The Hispanic will get preference, assuming similar strength in essays and recs.

And might I add, what the hell is a Hispanic after all? My skin is white but guess what, I am Hispanic. *Gasp* Ive never been discriminated against b/c of skin but you see Im Hispanic on paper. We've got White Hispanics from Ecuador, Cuba, all over the Latin American world, and these may have better access to education, and then, voila, we get this huge yet unfair boost in law school admissions. For the dark skinned Latinos, the story is completely different. They should be looked at differently b/c people have looked at them differently their entire lives.

In this light, who WILL BECOME the true international minorities of the 21st century? It will not the the well-educated Hispanic, who, as we have seen, will be able to deal with the languages of the world. It will be the working class whites and blacks who will become the minorities (Apologies to the Asian Americans, you guys always get the shaft, but you merit your own discussion).

I am restricting this statement to graduate school admissions. In my opinion, linguistic diversity of all kinds should be encouraged at the undergraduate level.

Speaking the gutter ghetto languages of Spanish (or French) provides at best a maginal advantage for hispanics.  Of far more importance im the Americas (or in the world generally) is speaking English well.  Many hispanics, even if born here, have trouble with that.

As for being seen differently, I'm not sure why that merits favoritism by law schools, unless it's actually impacted one's earlier educational opportunities in some way.  The mere fact certain people might not like your skin tone wouldn't seem to affect your LSAT much.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2007, 05:57:45 PM »
The mere fact certain people might not like your skin tone wouldn't seem to affect your LSAT much.

If that were really all that racism and discrimination are, then your argument would make more sense to me.
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

HtownsFinest

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2007, 10:11:15 PM »
The mere fact certain people might not like your skin tone wouldn't seem to affect your LSAT much.
Don't you know, the LSAT is inherently racist??

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2007, 10:56:08 PM »
While I was taking it, the LSAT called me a Cracker.  You can imagine my surprise.
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill