Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hispanics are NOT Minorites  (Read 7038 times)

GothamBaller22

• View Profile
Hispanics are NOT Minorites
« on: April 06, 2007, 02:15:42 AM »
And here' why, for the purposes of law school admissions, Latinos should not be considered "minorities. Law schools these days are blasting about globalizing legal education, translational law classes, and how the entire nature of law school education has changed and will continue to do so. Enter American born Hispanics.

Many, and I do not speak for all, but many speak English and Spanish fluently, and consequently are able to hook onto a third language at a relatively young age, be it Mandarin, French, whatever. Think about that for a moment. A student who speaks Spanish, French, and English fluently? You are talking about the entire Americas from top to bottom (French in Canada to Spanish in Tierra del Fuego). Not to mention the language of the European Union and Spain to boot. Not too shabby.

Enter typical white American from, lets just say, the working class suburbs of Philadelphia (Read, NOT the rich suburbs). The kid struggles to speak coherently in  Spanish or any foreign language, but maintains same if not better academic performance in college. Guess what? The Hispanic will get preference, assuming similar strength in essays and recs.

And might I add, what the hell is a Hispanic after all? My skin is white but guess what, I am Hispanic. *Gasp* Ive never been discriminated against b/c of skin but you see Im Hispanic on paper. We've got White Hispanics from Ecuador, Cuba, all over the Latin American world, and these may have better access to education, and then, voila, we get this huge yet unfair boost in law school admissions. For the dark skinned Latinos, the story is completely different. They should be looked at differently b/c people have looked at them differently their entire lives.

In this light, who WILL BECOME the true international minorities of the 21st century? It will not the the well-educated Hispanic, who, as we have seen, will be able to deal with the languages of the world. It will be the working class whites and blacks who will become the minorities (Apologies to the Asian Americans, you guys always get the shaft, but you merit your own discussion).

I am restricting this statement to graduate school admissions. In my opinion, linguistic diversity of all kinds should be encouraged at the undergraduate level.

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
Re: Hispanics are NOT Minorites
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 04:52:50 AM »
It's too late at night to comment on the rest of your post, but I just wanted to point out that a person who speaks English, Spanish, and French does not have 'all of the Americas top to bottom'. There's also that little chunk of land we call Brazil. :)

That said, I'm a hispanic with pretty white skin. Shame on the ad comms if they don't ask for "brown-skinned hispanics" if that's what they really want. They DO ask, however, "White - non-hispanic."  Oh yeah, and I speak English and Spanish fluently, and was able to "latch on" to French when I was young. I speak Italian, too. By my count that's 4, but it still wasn't enough to overcome my cumulative GPA. I don't think I have a point. Just sayin'.

Oh yeah, I am planning to study Portuguese next. That way I really can conquer all of the Americas top to bottom. Haha.

Horace Grant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 05:10:47 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out how any of the points you talk about have anything to do with hispanics not being minorities

Horace Grant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 05:40:31 AM »
Hey, you're from Phoenix! Are you going to ASU?

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 09:28:25 AM »
What does "pwned" mean?  ???
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 09:31:59 AM »

It's leet speak (ie: elite speak).  Basically, it's what computer nerds use to say that someone was "owned", but typing "p" instead of "o" because of the fact that people tended to keep mispelling it it as "pwned" instead of "owned" whenever they typed it to someone else. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 09:34:28 AM »

It's leet speak (ie: elite speak).  Basically, it's what computer nerds use to say that someone was "owned", but typing "p" instead of "o" because of the fact that people tended to keep mispelling it it as "pwned" instead of "owned" whenever they typed it to someone else. 

OOOOOOOOH!   ;)  (Thanks for the reply because I've been trying for weeks to figure that one out and never would have gotten that on my own!)
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 02:27:18 AM »
silent swirl
actually, by knowning italian and spanish, you already know portuguese- that is if u have at least half a brain in to which realize portuguese is an italian spanish duo.

it seems as though you are rather smart, so you already conquered the americas!  on the second hand, an exchange student i knew who spoke portuguese had no problem talking tothe exchange student from spain, so they could communicate, so spanish, french and english will indeed conquer the lands!
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

rnumiami

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 02:39:07 AM »
We are all now dumber having read this thread.  Thanks a lot.
Emory '10

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 11:11:25 PM »
No matter what you think about Hispanics being a minority in society, they are disgustingly underrepresented in law. I am the only Puerto Rican in my own school, and I think in my entire school there are only about 15 people that identify as Hispanic. Look at LSAC and their data on Hispanics practicing law, the percentages are in the single digits. So although I should not feed trolls like you, I think you need a wake up call. When you are one of two Hispanic in your 80+ section class...I think the law school can consider you a minority.

Edited to say: I DID NOT RECIEVE AA from my school, even though I am a URM and had sn sverage LSAT score and good grades, I was waitlisted and practically begged to get in. So the whole URM = automatic admission is not true.