Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone stop payment on a deposit before the school got it?  (Read 2065 times)

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
Anyone stop payment on a deposit before the school got it?
« on: April 05, 2007, 06:00:31 PM »
Yes, I'm serious.  I sent out two more deposits today, and one I sent for the wrong reasons.  As it is, I had to call to request them accepting it past the deadline, to which I received a nasty response, and 3 days to get it to them.  I can just withdraw by the deadline and get all but $100 back, but I don't even want this school to be an option as I fear I might choose it when I know I should not (long story no one cares about).

Anywho, what to do?
USD 2010

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone stop payment on a deposit before the school got it?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 06:14:46 PM »
Uhm...thats just foul     ;)
Washington University School of Law 2010

Einstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 06:17:22 PM »
Yes, I'm serious.  I sent out two more deposits today, and one I sent for the wrong reasons.  As it is, I had to call to request them accepting it past the deadline, to which I received a nasty response, and 3 days to get it to them.  I can just withdraw by the deadline and get all but $100 back, but I don't even want this school to be an option as I fear I might choose it when I know I should not (long story no one cares about).

Anywho, what to do?

Are you talking about rutgers or miami?
Practice LSAT: 147(d), 150, 151,143,152, 156,161,163,161,160,157,163,158,162

University of San Diego School of Law!

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 06:28:15 PM »

Anywho, what to do?

Are you talking about rutgers or miami?

RU.  Miami was a waste too, since I'm sure I'll be going to USD, but at least going there wouldn't be a mistake if I did.  Rutgers... that would be a mistake.  Not because of the school though...
USD 2010

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 06:29:39 PM »
Uhm...thats just foul     ;)

It is, but it's not like someone else won't fill my seat the next day.  I blame the law schools for requiring seat deposits when they know damn well people are still waiting on schools and making their decisions.  :)
USD 2010

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 07:05:36 PM »
Seat deposits force people to make a decision.  The reason the schools aren't sending out decisions is because of people sitting on 10 acceptances waiting for another.  Seat deposits force you to narrow it down, opening up seats, and unjamming the system.  It's a very necessary step.

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 07:29:11 PM »
Seat deposits force people to make a decision.  The reason the schools aren't sending out decisions is because of people sitting on 10 acceptances waiting for another.  Seat deposits force you to narrow it down, opening up seats, and unjamming the system.  It's a very necessary step.

True.  Or... people do what I did and send deposits to all potential schools.  If Rutgers deposit was $750 non-refundable like St. John's, I wouldn't have sent it in.  If you're going to use deposits as a means to force people into decisions, you have to make it more expensive than $100, which in the scheme of this application process is pennies.
USD 2010

wolfpack2

• Sr. Citizen
  • I should be reading cases....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 09:36:35 PM »
I was kind of wondering about that too, incase somehow I changed my mind.  I don't see it happening with me, but I'm sure people have done it before. I'd just make sure the school knows about it so they don't think your check bounced and charge you a bunch of fees.

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 11:13:09 PM »
True.  Or... people do what I did and send deposits to all potential schools.  If Rutgers deposit was $750 non-refundable like St. John's, I wouldn't have sent it in.  If you're going to use deposits as a means to force people into decisions, you have to make it more expensive than $100, which in the scheme of this application process is pennies.

Yea, but I'd wager the vast majority of people won't send seat deposits to more than 2-3 schools max (and probably just 1) where alot of people will just sit on acceptances 10 at a time without thinking.  The deposits do vastly narrow down the choices for most people.

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 11:40:35 PM »

Yea, but I'd wager the vast majority of people won't send seat deposits to more than 2-3 schools max (and probably just 1) where alot of people will just sit on acceptances 10 at a time without thinking.  The deposits do vastly narrow down the choices for most people.

Indeed.

Now what do I do about this deposit en route to RU?  What are the chances of me stopping the mailman before he puts it in their mailbox.

I guess I'll just have to write my withdrawal and pretend I flushed the $100 down the toilet.
USD 2010